U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2015, 07:07 AM

24,791 posts, read 6,167,989 times

Advertisements

I was a regular visitor to Tunisia. My wife and I were at the Imperial Marhaba just four weeks ago. We won't be going again. Knowing we stayed at a hotel where so many people were murdered is upsetting.

We are in Rhodes, Greece at the moment. There are financial problems of course, but no danger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 04:29 PM

7,668 posts, read 4,136,069 times
Russia and eastern Europe.

Under no circumstances.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:57 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,777,986 times
Won't go anywhere there is frequent political instability or cultural traditions/ rules that are rigidly followed and could result in serious punishment (imprisonment or death) if not followed. Would love to travel to Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Palestine (most of the Middle East) and throughout Africa, but not willing to get my butt thrown in jail because I did something that offended some prehistoric tradition or get blown up as a result of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and getting stuck in the cross fire of some conflict. I have already been to Turkey, Egypt and Morocco... had a wonderful time, but due to significantly different cultural traditions and laws there were some major uncomfortable moments and these countries are considered a lot of liberal then the other ones I have mentioned. I would love to backpack across Central America to South America, but frequent images of brutal murders (which are usually related to gangs or drug trafficking... but still do not paint a pretty picture) I am hesitant as I sort of like my head attached to my neck. Not interested in going to anywhere too north... snow, seals, whales and ice caps look pretty, but I could live with just seeing the pictures online or watching a documentary without having to avoid freezing to death. Not interested in going getting where that had no modern conveniences. My ancestors for many generations have been running away from third world struggles in search of gold and glory ... I think heading back in the other direction would sort of be a huge slap in the face! (I can just picture the corpses of many generations of people in my bloodline that by foot, camel, horse and boat struggled to get to the new world rattling in their graves shrieking ...YOU ARE GOING THE WRONG WAT YOU IDIOT! !

Old 07-03-2015, 07:09 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,152,124 times
Iraq, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Pakistan. Under no circumstances.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:07 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,481,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Russia and eastern Europe.

Under no circumstances.
I went to eastern Europe (Hungary, Poland, Austria, Slovakia, Czech Republic) last year and it was wonderful. You should rethink this one.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:46 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,777,986 times
Default But how was your trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I was a regular visitor to Tunisia. My wife and I were at the Imperial Marhaba just four weeks ago. We won't be going again. Knowing we stayed at a hotel where so many people were murdered is upsetting.

We are in Rhodes, Greece at the moment. There are financial problems of course, but no danger.
Hi. While you where there did you enjoy your trip? Unfortunately some of the most exciting places to go have volatile geographic or political surroundings. I think my willingness to take risks significantly decreased as I got older. Like backpacking from Italy to Turkey without much money or reversations ... Having to sleep on the streets several times when travelling in my early 20s due to really bad planning was ghetto chic at best, now it would be just be sad.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:38 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
Although a good tour of Italy is a must. For arts sake. The rest of the world absolutely no interest.
Some of it been there done that. After three days could not wait to get home.
and what is ai home that you can't wait to see?

Old 07-04-2015, 01:29 PM

7,668 posts, read 4,136,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I went to eastern Europe (Hungary, Poland, Austria, Slovakia, Czech Republic) last year and it was wonderful. You should rethink this one.
Well I am thinking more Ukraine, Latvia, Belarus.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:32 AM

24,791 posts, read 6,167,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Hi. While you where there did you enjoy your trip? Unfortunately some of the most exciting places to go have volatile geographic or political surroundings. I think my willingness to take risks significantly decreased as I got older. Like backpacking from Italy to Turkey without much money or reversations ... Having to sleep on the streets several times when travelling in my early 20s due to really bad planning was ghetto chic at best, now it would be just be sad.
We love Tunisia, and it is a very interesting country to visit. The people are muslims of course, but with a small 'm'. The hotels are beautiful, and the staff friendly. We will miss going there. Tourists will return, especially the English. We don't scare easy. We had the IRA bombing us in England for decades. I would go back, but my wife's mother would have a fit if we returned to Tunisia.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:47 AM

6,000 posts, read 6,848,961 times
I'll pass on any place where they wear rag tops and cut people's heads off or toss gays off buildings.

And states in the US where I am not allowed to protect myself from the general thuggery. Commiefornia and Oregonifornia, and the north east freedom hating states like New Yuck and New Jerky. I'll spend my money in Florida - better beaches anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or