U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-28-2016, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,954 posts, read 7,390,876 times
Reputation: 16283

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
We were on an Amtrak train that broke for awhile near a rough part of Newark, there was joking by some passengers about barricading the train doors.
They weren't joking.

This was my first time in this part of the country and I had been warned by coworkers not to miss my turn (laugh, laugh) so I was a bit anxious and then of course I did miss my turn.

I was at a stop light - I had a 4 door sedan rental that I'd forgotten to lock the rear doors - it was mid July so it was hotter than Hades and the air conditioning didn't work. I was sweating bullets (did I say bullets?). This was the longest red light of my life - I saw a highway sign and had no idea where that highway would take me but when the light changed I stepped on it and got heck out of there.

I had many trips to NJ after that and each time I could feel the tension building the closer I got to the Newark airport. I took the wrong exit one other time - a different exit but ended up in the same type of area. I got a lot of looks but no trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-28-2016, 11:22 AM
 
2,657 posts, read 1,548,773 times
Reputation: 3207
I used to be willing to go anywhere regardless of safety concerns but now that I'm a mom I wouldn't go to anywhere excessively dangerous (think Aleppo in Syria). I went to Honduras a few years ago and had no issues there or in Cuba or Jamaica for that matter. But I wouldn't go to the middle east until my child is out of the house. Once he is, I'll go anywhere once again! I love traveling and the more unique the better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2016, 11:48 AM
 
625 posts, read 381,651 times
Reputation: 698
India, Middle East and Detroit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2016, 12:17 PM
 
806 posts, read 511,580 times
Reputation: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You should make it a life goal to overcome this fear by forcing yourself to take a trip to China.

They are just people too (granted a lot more of them and with some irritating cultural nuances) and China is a big diverse country with lots of cool things to see. Plus, you can order fried rice on the cheap to make it feel like home, or just go to McDonalds or KFC.
China is so polluted it's citizens have to deal with dirty water and air. If you like human rights or even dog rights just don't go to China. If still not convinced look up their dog eating festivals. Yikes. No thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2016, 04:12 PM
 
Location: On the road
5,934 posts, read 2,888,852 times
Reputation: 11341
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Shanghai.
My family still lives there. I can only visit. Life is downright stressful because the city is way too big and too money-oriented. Everyone is obsessed with making money.
You should try out west, like Chengdu or Kunming.

Kunming is a bit cold for my taste but lots of people who hate warm weather love it. Chengdu has the best food in China in my opinion, and despite large city is much more laid back than east coast. If I had to do east coast it would be Nanjing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2016, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,119,529 times
Reputation: 4565
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Curious = if you don't want to go to China that is all well and good plenty of other places to vacation but what exactly are you guys so frightened of?

China gets almost 100 million tourists per year, I'm pretty sure it is the number one tourist destination in the world. All these people from all over the world families with kids etc. go to China on holiday and there are a couple of people saying it is rational to be fearful to go because not a democracy, this doesn't make much sense to me. My parents went a few years ago and they are in their 70s, they had a great time on the Great Wall, seeing the Terra Cotta Warriors, etc.

Are you thinking that out of all those millions you'll be picked up and interrogated or something?
Actually China doesn't get 100 million international tourists per year, unless you're counting HKers and Macanese as well. In 2015 it gets about half of that, and it's number 4, behind France, America, and Spain. I think it was the 2nd like a few years ago but the pollution (amongst other stuff) has kept a lot of people away from it.

I'm not frightened of going to China, it just doesn't interest me at all. For one, I'm never really in the mood of getting on VPN, and I definitely don't want to face a bunch of Chinese people shoving the Great China Dream of unification under my throat.

Besides I also find the traffic and pollution extremely off-putting, and the complete lack of ampathy in general, like the pushing, the lack of queueing, the yelling and all that jazz. So no thanks, I'll pass even if the flight ticket was free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2016, 07:54 PM
 
Location: On the road
5,934 posts, read 2,888,852 times
Reputation: 11341
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast_CA View Post
China is so polluted it's citizens have to deal with dirty water and air. If you like human rights or even dog rights just don't go to China. If still not convinced look up their dog eating festivals. Yikes. No thanks...
Some large Chinese cities have problems with pollution, some not so much. In China you drink bottled water, just like with most places in Asia. In fact I believe most Americans drink bottled water in USA these days too, the habit of just drinking tap water seems to be fading.

Dog rights? Very few Chinese eat dog, and if you eat pork/beef do you think cows and chickens want to be killed to be eaten less than dogs do? Should we avoid Spain because of the bulls? UK because of the fox hunting? France for so much veal? Canada for seal clubbing? Australia for roo culling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2016, 07:58 PM
 
Location: On the road
5,934 posts, read 2,888,852 times
Reputation: 11341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Actually China doesn't get 100 million international tourists per year, unless you're counting HKers and Macanese as well.
Since HK and Macau are part of China, why wouldn't one count them in China tourist numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I'm not frightened of going to China, it just doesn't interest me at all. For one, I'm never really in the mood of getting on VPN, and I definitely don't want to face a bunch of Chinese people shoving the Great China Dream of unification under my throat.
You don't need to have a VPN to go to China, and I've never had anyone shove the China Dream of unification down my throat. How do you think that goes down, you're walking around doing whatever tourist thing you do when some random Chinese person who happens to speak English begins a lecture about China unification? What an odd thing to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Besides I also find the traffic and pollution extremely off-putting, and the complete lack of ampathy in general, like the pushing, the lack of queueing, the yelling and all that jazz. So no thanks, I'll pass even if the flight ticket was free.
Yeah I'm with you on the behavior, can be quite frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2016, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,119,529 times
Reputation: 4565
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Since HK and Macau are part of China, why wouldn't one count them in China tourist numbers?
I don't think domestic tourism counts. If it does then commuting to work is also tourism? It's kinda a slippery slope.

Quote:
You don't need to have a VPN to go to China, and I've never had anyone shove the China Dream of unification down my throat. How do you think that goes down, you're walking around doing whatever tourist thing you do when some random Chinese person who happens to speak English begins a lecture about China unification? What an odd thing to worry about.
Well yeah I don't need VPN to go to China per se but I'd need it if I want to get on Facebook and Snapchat and stuff.

Besides I'm Taiwanese. I know not all Chinese people care about this but a lot do, and I definitely don't want to discuss this with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2016, 05:11 PM
 
Location: On the road
5,934 posts, read 2,888,852 times
Reputation: 11341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I don't think domestic tourism counts. If it does then commuting to work is also tourism? It's kinda a slippery slope.
Agreed. What we need is to know total mainland + HK + MC - domestic.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Well yeah I don't need VPN to go to China per se but I'd need it if I want to get on Facebook and Snapchat and stuff.

Besides I'm Taiwanese. I know not all Chinese people care about this but a lot do, and I definitely don't want to discuss this with them.
Right, and to each their own but IMO the average vacation of two weeks or whatever someone can live without certain things like Facebook and Snapchat, it shouldn't really be that much of a determining factor. I'm not going to miss seeing something interesting in the world because Facebook won't work.

I guess being Taiwanese could lead to more political discussions but in my experience most mainland Chinese citizens don't have the "talk with strangers about politics" type social behavior. All they want is to shuffle about in large groups pushing their way past everyone while making sure to deposit as much of their internal body fluids into the area as possible, while being as loud as possible.

Kinda funny = not sure when you were last in Taiwan but that place is overrun with mainland tourists. I've drank my share of beers with locals and they have the love/hate thing going. They want their money since they do come in big groups and spend a lot, but they all say 没有文明 and can't stand them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top