U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 03:24 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,077,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
North Korea, Antarctica, Syria, Lebanon, Nigeria, Uganda, Sudan, Congo, Libya, Saudi Arabia, Ethiopia, Pakistan
So why no to somewhere like Ethiopia that is stable and safe and yes to somewhere like Venezuela or Chad which is neither?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 03:43 PM

709 posts, read 515,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Just because they have a diverse population doesn't mean they aren't predominantly white, and affluent. Which they are.

Don't tell me for an instant you want to compare Germany with Ethiopia or Australia with Indonesia and say they're equivalent.

It's ok. You can be at peace with your milquetoast choices, but you don't really have grounds to be offended when someone points it out.
Until someone pointed it out, I had never thought about race so yeah, I find it offensive that someone attempts to make me a out to be a racist because I like creature comforts. There's a big f-ing difference between being a snob and a racist.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:52 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,077,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
Until someone pointed it out, I had never thought about race so yeah, I find it offensive that someone attempts to make me a out to be a racist because I like creature comforts. There's a big f-ing difference between being a snob and a racist.
He didn't call you a racist. He said you picked affluent white countries. Which you did. It's not a judgement about your potential prejudices, as it wasn't brought up in that context.

It's boring and safe to stay within your comfort zone, not racist. Don't play the creature comforts card, because realistically, some of the most luxurious, crazy, fantastic places are where you have no desire to go.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:16 PM

709 posts, read 515,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
He didn't call you a racist. He said you picked affluent white countries. Which you did. It's not a judgement about your potential prejudices, as it wasn't brought up in that context.

It's boring and safe to stay within your comfort zone, not racist. Don't play the creature comforts card, because realistically, some of the most luxurious, crazy, fantastic places are where you have no desire to go.
Rich and white certainly has a specific implication. You read it however you want and I'll do the same. I've never been bored in Italy or France. I admit that I do feel relatively safe. The places I travel to are the places I associate with classy hotels, fine dining, high end shopping, world class museums with a lot of incredible architecture and history. I'm not into all-inclusive resorts or tacky hotels set down in the middle of a jungle. When you're traveling to them or leave the enclosures, it's 3rd world country conditions. Not my thing.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:58 PM

625 posts, read 471,457 times
I'll be skipping

Afghanistan
Pakistan… okay all of the "stans" for quite a while

some of the unstable countries to our South like Mexico (except for the really touristy areas. haha).

North Korea, Syria, Lebanon, Nigeria, Uganda, Sudan, Congo, Libya, Saudi Arabia, Ethiopia

Those are just the standouts. Otherwise, I'd try just about anywhere. Prefer warm, but would try cold for adventure.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:03 PM

424 posts, read 286,871 times
These are the places I would never go unless the vacation was 100% paid for by someone else.....

Any state in the deep south (with New Orleans the exception, slapping that jazzzzzz......)
Texass
Arizona
China
Anywhere in the Middle East
Russia
Some other random lesser known countries.....

Old 06-02-2015, 06:06 PM

1,007 posts, read 867,777 times
Probably only places where US citizens are in danger from terrorists or that are extremely unstable at the moment.

There are some states and countries I don't have a lot of interest in, but I would go if I had to travel there for work or to see family or maybe for vacation if it was free.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:14 PM

9,217 posts, read 8,302,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
For whatever reason, some people just hate the idea of visiting certain places. Some people simply refuse to go to developing countries, some hate to visit big cities such as Paris or New York, many don't want to go to any mountains. For myself, the one place I absolutely refuse to go to is the Caribbean's.

Are there any places you (maybe irrationally) refuse to visit over the years?

No need to respond if you intend to say something like "all places are beautiful and unique in their own ways and I am willing to visit anywhere given the chance". This post is more about eccentricities of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
well, that left you with Canamerica, West Europe and Australia.
Essentially you are only interested in seeing rich and white countries.

I am the opposite - I only travel to other continents (including S America).
Anywhere in Canada, US, Mexico and the entire Caribbean is uninteresting to me.
It amazes me that people can find entire continents and areas of the world that are uninteresting.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:29 PM

4,914 posts, read 4,066,038 times
China. Any of the 'stans. The Middle East. Central America. South America. India. Most of Africa. Antarctica. Arkansas. Mississippi. Nevada. North Dakota. North Korea.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:00 PM

3,558 posts, read 6,175,240 times
China, India, Middle East anything, anything south of North America, Africa

I will never again step foot in Mexico. I Went there once on my honeymoon in 2004 and got bit by some kind of bug or picked up some sort of infectious disease (doctors don't know which) in Casa Maya.I'm still dealing with the consequences of that 11 years later including two extended stays at Mayo Clinic and extensive and severe immune issues including idiopathic anaphylaxis .

I also have no interest in states such as Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada. I'm a bad flyer, I'm terrified to fly even with medication so for me if its not in driving distance I'm probably not interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or