Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 10:50 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Good, our beaches are crowded enough in summer and the mountains are getting that way as well
Mountains of New Jersey???

Born, raised NYC-Queens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 11:02 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,512 times
Oh yeah, definitely not going back to China again.
Spent 28 days there in 2009 which was an amazing experience, but I will not do it ever again.

Saw blue sky ONCE in the whole time.,. in Xian.
Every place else was uniformly taupe... sky and earth.. very depressing in a bizarre way.
Was never so happy to see the sun when I returned to LI at the time.

PS Tibet was absolutely refreshing by comparison as I could breathe fresh air at 12,000 ft in Lhasa !

Old 06-04-2015, 11:10 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
I am boycotting China and several countries in South East Asia because of the brutal way that animals are treated there.

No desire to visit. None.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:43 AM

290 posts, read 259,152 times
Default ok

I have a very specific place where I will never go. You would never guess the reason. So don't try to guess But the reason is a real one. If I went to this place I would not last one day until people in the street picked me up, bashed me to a pulp and threw me into a garbage compactor. That is no exaggeration. That is what I guarantee would happen but only in this place. I am safe everyone else. Including in every other state of the US. And no I have never been to the US. But I say to you assuredly that I don't need to to be guaranteed that everyone in the following state would shoot me on sight.

The place is Kentucky, US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orXkzBBC1LA

Hank Phillips from Kentucky Dept of Travel and Tourism wouldn't like me at all.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Aint going to the middle East!!

Old 06-05-2015, 05:54 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Mountains of New Jersey???

Born, raised NYC-Queens.
Uh yeah, part of the Appalachian trail.
Mountains on east coast are not like the Rockies but are still considered mountains.

http://newjerseyscenic.com/nj_mountains.html

Old 06-05-2015, 07:29 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Oh yeah, definitely not going back to China again.
Spent 28 days there in 2009 which was an amazing experience, but I will not do it ever again.

Saw blue sky ONCE in the whole time.,. in Xian.
Every place else was uniformly taupe... sky and earth.. very depressing in a bizarre way.
Was never so happy to see the sun when I returned to LI at the time.

PS Tibet was absolutely refreshing by comparison as I could breathe fresh air at 12,000 ft in Lhasa !
Air quality in China in general is definitely not good, but it depends on when and where you go. Places with good air quality mostly are in the south - south of Zhejiang Province.

I was just in Shanghai for 2 weeks in May, about 1/3 of the days the sky was blue, the other days , taupe as you said. We spent a weekend in Chongming Island of Shanghai, it was all blue clear sky.

If good air quality is important for you, you need to go to the right place, and definitely not in northern China, or major cities.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:47 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,189 times
I would not travel to:
1. North Korea. Obviously going there is just like going to a staged-trip. Everything is fake and not to mentioned highly controlled.I do not really agree with how he treated his people. So no way jose!
2. Russia. While not everybody there is homophobic, the country has obvious anti-gay law. I also read so much hate crimes perpetrated.
3. Some countries in Middle east and Africa where ISIS is roaming currently.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:01 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
I just cancelled a planned trip to India for one reason : because of the risk of getting food poisoning ( or at least turista).
It's a thing my wife and I already had AND DREAD and we don't want to run head on into it even if that means forsaking potentially new, interesting sightseeing ; we'd rather stay on the safe side.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:02 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
I like my civilized creature comforts. Third world toilets have no interest for me. And it is not about the people it is about the lack of my creature comforts.

But reverse racist who are by and large mental midgets, can only think of one denominator of factors, and attack on the basis of people not fawning over non-white third world toilets. Ignore them. Reverse racist are a bore.
It's comments like this that are frustrating for me. You won't go because there's no creature comforts, but if you went you'd realize how wrong you are.

I'm far more concerned about finding a decent toilet on my upcoming roadtrip across the US west than I was in China or Indonesia. Heck go to Singapore and I double dog dare you to find a cleaner place on earth that has that many people in it. The food courts and hawker centers have more regulation and are safer than any food court on this continent. As far as comfort goes, it doesn't get much better.

The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel