Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 12:12 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times

Advertisements

For whatever reason, some people just hate the idea of visiting certain places. Some people simply refuse to go to developing countries, some hate to visit big cities such as Paris or New York, many don't want to go to any mountains. For myself, the one place I absolutely refuse to go to is the Caribbean's.

Are there any places you (maybe irrationally) refuse to visit over the years?

No need to respond if you intend to say something like "all places are beautiful and unique in their own ways and I am willing to visit anywhere given the chance". This post is more about eccentricities of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 12:17 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Refuse? No. But be so far down low on the totem list that I doubt I'll get there unless someone else is paying, yes.

See most of Western Europe.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:21 PM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
I have a list, some because they just don't interest me, others the state of their politics, or safety factors, lastly flight is too dam long.

China
Most countries in the Middle East
Most countries in Africa
Any of the off shoots of the USSR that have Stan in their name, Russia itself would love to visit.

There is more, just have to think about it.

Why is Caribbean on your list?

Old 06-02-2015, 12:30 PM

986 posts, read 1,016,293 times
I'm really disinterested in visiting the Caribbean again, and will not visit unless I have to for a destination wedding or something requisite like that. My family and I had a lovely time in Aruba recently, but 4 of my 5 visits to other islands left me hugely unimpressed and turned off. Very sad to see such terrible poverty, and my idea of vacationing is not secluding myself in a walled all-inclusive resort eating Americanized food and learning nothing about the destination.

Otherwise, I don't have a "definitely not" list, but there are places that are very, very low on my priorities list. I don't really see myself visiting much of Eastern Europe or ever visiting Africa other than maybe South Africa, Morocco or Egypt.

I am turned off by poverty and can't stand poor treatment of animals, so I similarly have qualms about visiting some of the poorer countries in Latin America.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:09 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
I'd go just about anywhere if I'm not paying for it (or am paying very little), but I don't have any real interest in visiting China again, or in traveling to Australia.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:12 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
I've said before that I think it would be pretty funny and not much a big deal to me if I never went to Paris or London ever. I'd go if somebody paid for every little thing I did in either, but they're just so expensive that I can't ever see myself feeling compelled to voluntarily go.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:18 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,096,958 times
Florida, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming.

Burma, North Korea, Haiti, India.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:19 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Personally, I wouldn't have any interest in visiting any third world countries. Not that there's anything wrong with them ... I just know myself well enough to know that I wouldn't enjoy the experience.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:24 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I've said before that I think it would be pretty funny and not much a big deal to me if I never went to Paris or London ever. I'd go if somebody paid for every little thing I did in either, but they're just so expensive that I can't ever see myself feeling compelled to voluntarily go.
Why do you think Paris or London are that expensive? I found them to be cheaper to visit than most American cities such as San Francisco or Boston.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:25 PM

44 posts, read 46,129 times
[quote] I am turned off by poverty and can't stand poor treatment of animals, so I similarly have qualms about visiting some of the poorer countries in Latin America.[quote]

What do mean by poor treatment of animals? Do you mean pets or farm animals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel