Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 11:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
there is nowhere to stop between North America and East Asia. You have the pacific in the middle with no much to stop for.
Um, I guess you've missed that whole Hawaii thing. French Polynesia works as well if you are headed to SE Asia, Australia, or Oz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 02:18 PM

518 posts, read 763,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
We plan on trying that one day for Australia, by stopping for a week in Hawaii. May even gap Hawaii with a stop in San Fran. 8 hours flying is about my max, I get really antsy after that...
15 hours wouldn't quite do it for me...lol
There you go!

Or if you can afford it, try to see if you can get at least business class.

15hour flights packed into the sardin can that is coach can be quite painful for your mind and back. So if you do have time for a nice INTL vacation, try for a nicer class of seats...which while I've never personally experienced, it does look much nicer than the economy seats.

Quote:
there is nowhere to stop between North America and East Asia. You have the pacific in the middle with no much to stop for.
Except for Hawaii!

Old 06-25-2015, 08:57 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,152 times
I have a strange obsession with traveling to dangerous places. I'd love to go to Mogadishu, Yemen, Compton (which may not be dangerous) and maybe Honduras. So far, I've only been to the wrong side of Los Angeles and San Diego, and Rahway, NJ walking around at night on my own, and in Guatemala walking around, and in east Dayton.

For fun, I'd go to Iceland or Israel. I would not go to China or any places where I would see people or animals mistreated for fun. (I realize Mogadishu and Yemen are in a horrible status right now as far as treatment of people. I can't explain my desire to travel there.). For now, my family has vetoed it.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:55 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,222 times
NYC, no interest in ever going. Even if paid for, my husband and I wouldnt care to go. For outside the USA, no to most of the middle east, Africa and south america for different reasons.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:02 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
The US (and other states) advise against travel pretty much anywhere interesting. It's a well-known and ignored phenomenon among the informed.

Yup

Old 06-26-2015, 01:43 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Um, I guess you've missed that whole Hawaii thing. French Polynesia works as well if you are headed to SE Asia, Australia, or Oz.
On paper, yes.

In reality, those places are not known for big international connections, so you'll find very, very few flights from North America to Asia that stop in Hawaii or French Polynesia. Unless you specifically require the search engine to make a stop there.

There only two main routes from east part of North America to Asia with least connections: stop over in Europe or Middle East.

The North America to Australia route usually stops in the west coast, then somewhere in Asia, before it reaches Australia.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:56 PM

518 posts, read 763,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
On paper, yes.

In reality, those places are not known for big international connections, so you'll find very, very few flights from North America to Asia that stop in Hawaii or French Polynesia. Unless you specifically require the search engine to make a stop there.

There only two main routes from east part of North America to Asia with least connections: stop over in Europe or Middle East.

The North America to Australia route usually stops in the west coast, then somewhere in Asia, before it reaches Australia.
That is a good point. Few routes connect in Hawaii...(I can't think of ANY major routes that connect in French Polynesia!) because Hawaii and French Polynesia are usually end destinations in themselves.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:14 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,474 times
Bali.

Since they shot our boys they can shove Indonesia up their jacksy.

Oh and...I'd love to go to the US of A but those GUNS...so....maybe some parts of the states.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:52 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
yes, if you are going to SE Asia.

To Japan/China/Korea, not much. It takes me 10 hours to fly to Hawaii alone, plus one stop in LA/SF, so the total time is at least 12 hours, while only 14 hours directly to Shanghai or 13 hours to Tokyo, not really worth stopping for a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
On paper, yes.

yes, probably none of such options are available in reality.
I occasionally saw connections even in Europe between Canada and East Asia, but never in Hawaii. You would pay a lot more for the stop over, with 2+ connections, and in the end, it just takes a lot more time. The cross pacific flights don't really cross the pacific. It cross the Arctic I believe.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:23 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,951 times
Quote:
yes, if you are going to SE Asia.

To Japan/China/Korea, not much. It takes me 10 hours to fly to Hawaii alone, plus one stop in LA/SF, so the total time is at least 12 hours, while only 14 hours directly to Shanghai or 13 hours to Tokyo, not really worth stopping for a break.

yes, probably none of such options are available in reality.
I occasionally saw connections even in Europe between Canada and East Asia, but never in Hawaii. You would pay a lot more for the stop over, with 2+ connections, and in the end, it just takes a lot more time. The cross pacific flights don't really cross the pacific. It cross the Arctic I believe.
Exactly. It goes to show that she's never been to Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel