U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 11:11 AM

14,364 posts, read 7,911,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I do it.
Already did the world. Most was fine to see once.
Now I found the places I like the best.
The places that restore me.
I go back there.

I want to be like you when I grow up. There are still so many places I want to see but when I've finished checking them off my bucket list, so far Belize will be my go to place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 11:40 AM

1,547 posts, read 1,277,488 times
I know people who vacation like this, who also regulate their whole lives in the same way. If they go out, they always go out to the same 2 or 3 restaurants. If they order take-out Chinese, they always order the same thing. Their son tells me that it was years before he realized that Chinese restaurants serve anything other than chop suey.

I think a balance is good. Myself, there's one beach town we always return to. It's nice to arrive and feel like it's your home away from home, even if you haven't been there in months. However, outside of that, I like to explore new places. We just went to Chicago, and it was fantastic. And we plan to return someday. But my thinking is: "If Chicago was so wonderful, I bet New Orleans would be, too!"

Last edited by Hallouise; 06-03-2015 at 11:48 AM..

Old 06-03-2015, 11:54 AM

8,239 posts, read 11,104,689 times
Is this really an issue?

Old 06-03-2015, 12:06 PM

5,654 posts, read 3,638,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
I noticed the same thing in Hawaii - so many repeat visitors. I absolutely loved Oahu and would certainly be interested in visiting some of the other islands at some point, but it's perplexing to me that you'd keep going back to the very same place year after year. Life is too short for that kind of travel lifestyle, if you ask me. But vacation is all about what makes you happy, so if they're happy, good for them.
I've been to Hawaii 4 times in the past 15 years, with trip No. 5 coming up at the end of this month. If I could afford it, I would go there every year. Thus far, I've not gotten tired of it.

I'm quite content to be in a rut; to know what I like and to do that thing or go to that place, again and again and again. On the other hand, though, my wife and I do have a desire to see a large number of our national parks, so we've been mixing it up a bit as well.

People should take their vacations in the places that make them happy. For some, this will mean going to the same old cabin by the same old lake, every year. For others, a different city in a different country each time. Whatever floats their boats.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:16 PM

13,103 posts, read 24,877,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Is this really an issue?
No, just a topic for discussion/views on certain types of travel

Old 06-03-2015, 01:13 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,543,222 times
What do I make of it? They know what they like. The majority of us have limited income and limited time off. If someone wishes to spend it somewhere they know brings them pleasure, more power to them.

Just because I like to explore other countries doesn't mean everyone should. In fact, it's disconcerting to go someplace you've wanted to see for decades only to find it surrounded by a bunch of tourists who really have little interest in being there.

It reminds me of the first time I saw the Acropolis. I shared the experience with a group of Mary Kay Cosmetics saleswomen and their husbands from Atlanta, GA, who had won the tour they were on. They had absolutely no appreciation for the experience and made that clear. Had their guide told them they were at the Colosseum in Rome, they might have believed it. I couldn't get away from them fast enough. If they would have preferred visiting Destin, Florida, for the 15th time, I, too, wish that's where they had been.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:20 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,829,223 times
What's wrong with having favorite places? Maybe they own a vacation home or timeshare or something there.

I've been all over the world too, and while I like going to new places, I have a few favorites I visit on a regular/semi-regular basis.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:25 PM

2,702 posts, read 3,737,581 times
For me life is way too short to go to the same place all the time.. For em it's like going to work.. You go to the same office or building, park almost in the same place, eat lunch the same places, etc...

There are so many places I want to go and will never have the time nor money to do it..

Old 06-03-2015, 01:25 PM

1,561 posts, read 1,350,766 times
When we were first married, my wife and I traveled to many different destinations and enjoyed exploring many different parts of the USA, Mexico, Central America and the Carribbean. To some degree we enjoyed each and ever destination we visited and learned a lot about the vast and wonderful differences we could see in just our country and other areas close by.

We've not planned it this way, but looking back over the past 10 years or so, we do seem to keep going back to the same places for the most part Obviously those are places we've enjoyed the most with the most predictable enjoyment coming our way during our stay. We find ourselves spending a few weeks in Arizona and usually a week in LA (family there) every year. Some would say that's boring, but to us it's a very comfortable fit with virtually always good sunny and dry weather both places.

I'm sure we'll at some point decide to visit a few new destinations, but for now we just go where we know we'll have an enjoyable time and come home with good memories and a smile.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:31 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
When we were first married, my wife and I traveled to many different destinations and enjoyed exploring many different parts of the USA, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean.
Basically North America (except Canada).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
We find ourselves spending a few weeks in Arizona and usually a week in LA (family there) every year. Some would say that's boring, but to us it's a very comfortable fit with virtually always good sunny and dry weather both places.
It may not be boring because it depends on what you do and who you are with, but it is definitely not exciting, educational or inspiring and tells you nothing new about the world. That being said, that may not be something you are interested in to begin with. So visiting Arizona or LA might be just like holding a BBQ in your backyard. It is just a way to spend a good time under good weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
What's wrong with having favorite places? Maybe they own a vacation home or timeshare or something there.
Having a favorite place and only going to your favorite place are two different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post

It reminds me of the first time I saw the Acropolis. I shared the experience with a group of Mary Kay Cosmetics saleswomen and their husbands from Atlanta, GA, who had won the tour they were on. They had absolutely no appreciation for the experience and made that clear. Had their guide told them they were at the Colosseum in Rome, they might have believed it. I couldn't get away from them fast enough. If they would have preferred visiting Destin, Florida, for the 15th time, I, too, wish that's where they had been.
Well, these people are rare. I for example am sure I won`t be interested in seeing Athens, and the Acropolis or whatever in the city simply won`t impress me judging by my own research, which is why I won`t visit Athens at all, no matter how culturally important or ancient it is. Rome didn`t impress me that much either, and I anticipated that before my actual trip. It was therefore only part of my Italy trip.

People go to place but end up hugely disappointed most because they didn`t spend enough time researching. Rome, must to fascinating, heard so much about it, we should definitely go! you know what, those big name places may not work for everyone, and a savvy traveler should know what kind of places makes him satisfied and what doesn`t, and do sufficient research to avoid place he will mostly likely not love so much. For me personally, I know Cancun won`t interest me a bit, nor would the entire Florida, so I choose not go instead of going and feeling disappointed, then ending up only going to Barcelona every time.

Last edited by botticelli; 06-03-2015 at 01:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel