U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 01:33 PM

1,563 posts, read 1,352,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Btw as a related aside, Aruba is reputed to have the highest return rate for visitors in the Caribbean. I have no plans to go back, but I liked it very much as Caribbean islands go, and I can see why people become passionate about it.

I'm going to Rome for the second time this fall, which is I think my first repeat visit for an international vacation. But it's a multi-generational trip and we're going to new places as well, and I'm very much excited to see Rome again through older and wiser eyes.

I'll agree with your Aruba comment. We've been around the Carribbean a bit, and to Aruba twice....and quite honestly, it's by far the nicest, cleanest and most relaxing place we've been in the Carribbean.

I still remember the first time we visited Aruba. We'd been on a cruise and visited 4 or 5 islands before arriving in Aruba......We got to Aruba and it was like "Wow", this place was and is heads and tails our favorite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 03:46 PM

3,196 posts, read 1,815,471 times
I would LOVE to be wealthy and travel the world, but some of the world travelers posting here sound like the same people who can't understand how their friends can get married to just one person for the rest of their life when there are all those exciting new people to sleep with.

The vast majority of people couldn't care less for world history, or seeing wildlife in its natural habitat, or visiting religious sites from someone else's religion.

We live in a world where we are led to believe that progress is good, that old things are disposable, and that buildings serve their purpose and are demolished to make way for the next thing. To these people a millenniums old ruins makes no sense, and stands in the way of a shopping mall or factory or office building. They look at a renaissance cathedral and their first thought is "It must cost a fortune to heat this place."

Explore different cultures? Many people get more different cultures than they care for whenever they go to the store, or a walk, or work. There are immigrants EVERYWHERE, from the big cites to the hollers in Appalachia. It's not hard to find people walking around wearing any kind of Middle Eastern, North African or South Asian garb in any mid-sized city or vacation spot. Most of the rest of the 'non-destitute' world now wears clothing remarkably like ours on a day to day basis. And let's face it, the cultures of most of Europe and the Westernized world are not significantly different from the cultures at home, and the REAL differences take place outside the view of tourists, inside people's homes and at private events. These people live in an apartment or house, go to work, shop, cook, eat, and sleep, much like we do.

Most people don't spend time exploring their OWN cities, why would they travel thousands of miles to see a city where they can't even read the signs or order a meal without feeling stupid? If they find somewhere they are comfortable, that's where they will go. It serves as an anchor to the past and a guidepost to the future.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:00 PM

6,578 posts, read 3,667,513 times
I like to go to different places to see and learn new things but there are a few I go back to. There's a little hill town in Umbria I've been to a couple times that I'd like to go back a few more times.

Some folks like to lay out on a beach -- any beach will do -- so they are essentially repeating the same experience even if not the same destination. I think the same is true with skiing or golf trips and maybe cruises. It's wouldn't be my choice or my place to judge. People do what they want to do....why not?

Old 06-03-2015, 05:45 PM

6,322 posts, read 4,761,558 times
Finding happiness is very underrated. Good for those travelers!

Old 06-03-2015, 05:49 PM

4,000 posts, read 3,258,179 times
At 47, and being pretty conservative in most things I do, I decided maybe ten years ago to break the pattern and try lots of new things and not try and control all the details. That happens to a lot of people c. 40: they start asking, "what if I...". Some don't, and are happy enough, to OP's question.

My dad, in his 70s, announced something amusing to me one day when he flew out to visit (Seattle): his bag didn't come down the carousel, and we had to wait awhile (it did arrive, just maybe 10 min after the first batch of bags). "son, if that bag is lost, does it matter in the greater scheme: two pairs of slacks, some shirts, and underwear and socks. I can get more. It isn't worth it getting bent out of shape." ...as I was getting bent out of shape. I'm Type A most of the time, he knew that.

I like leaving a certain element of chance to my trips these days. I can plan most anything to the point it can split atoms (and then we'll count the gamma rays). That's part of what I do for a living, when-necessary. But I dunno: technology has changed things. Think on this: you can arrive to most new (to you) cities and use Yelp, and Tripadvisor, to find you places to visit and stay. Uber will get you around town, in some cities. Reservations for rooms are good; OK, I do that in advance usually, and obviously the plane flights are set. But after that...what the hell do I care? Sometimes screw-ups are interesting too, though yes they're usually aggravating. Sometimes, though, chance plays a role in ways we didn't expect and it works out well.

I went to Lincoln Nebraska the other weekend just for giggles. I didn't know a soul, and flights were cheap, and I had a specific event to attend. Rest of the time was mine, so I used my gadgets and hiking boots to tour the town on-foot. And I saw a lot, and had a great time. No real planning, other than getting there, staying at the Holiday Inn, and attending my event. Common sense and my phone w/maps stops me from getting lost: Lincoln is flat, the Capitol Building is highest thing in town, if you see that you can guess where you are. And if I was lost, who the hell cares? I'd have hours to get out of the jam, and my credit is such I can buy my way out of damn near anything one might encounter. I toured some rail yards and other off the beaten path stuff and did some great photography, too. Knew there would be things to see, iconic Midwest stuff. Sure enough, there was. You've just got to slow down a bit, listen the world (which is very quiet if you allow it to be), then watch a half mile long freight train approach from miles away...and disappear off to who knows where.

So yeah, London is a different case. One can spend a decade there and do a fraction of all there is. I've wandered it a few times and will wander it a few more on just that theory. If someone said, "i go to London every year" after maybe the fifth trip I'd suggest somewhere else, but until then I'd be apt to join them and try new stuff. Last time, I stumbled into SoHo and had a positively great pizza with some hippie girl I was pursuing at the time. At the table: a Belgian, an American (me), a French(wo)man, and a Brit. Sounds like a joke setup! We had an interesting conversation and a meeting of the minds. Case in point: that wasn't really planned, per se, but worked out great.

I can't see buying a timeshare, because one, many of them are scams; and two, visiting the same place 10x in ten years seems dull to me, yeah. My uncle and aunt were like that, and loved it, so who was I dissuade them? My dad, the uncle's brother, raised me in a mindset to be a bit more adventurous in my travels, but at the same time I can't really fault those who lack imagination, *if they are happy with the destination*. Not my scene, though.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:03 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,380,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Do you know of these type of travelers? And what do you make of it?
I've traveled to different places and then fell in love with one place and made repeated trips there. I certainly wouldn't object to visiting more new places, though.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:01 PM

372 posts, read 409,602 times
Kind of like MacDonald's--right?! ;-)

Whatever makes you happy... we like familiarity and safety... and comfort.

I think a balance of adventure and familiarity is a good thing, but it depends on time and timing. Sometimes with life's events we need more of one thing than another.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:20 PM

17,403 posts, read 21,244,496 times
At 65, my curious foreign/domestic trips behind me, I'm praying that one day I'll find my Shangri-La, my home away from home, and be happy, blocking out the rest of the world!

It may come down to Northern Baja or the Los Angeles area, with their multitude of ethnic neighborhoods to explore and re-explore, and their choice of beach towns!

Old 06-03-2015, 10:31 PM

9,673 posts, read 4,560,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
so happy that they lose interest in the rest of the world, many parts of which may make them happiER.

Plus there is plenty of information, in print, photos and videos to explore. They can also talk to others who have been to those places. By doing so one can develop a pretty good idea of what a place is generally like with no huge surprises/disappointments.

Paris, Barcelona, Istanbul, Tokyo, Bangkok all turned out to be somewhat I expected from the research. I also showed interest in Morocco/India/Egypt/Alaska/Machu Picchu, and after extensive research, I decided that I won't be happy with those destinations as they don't suit my needs.

It seems a bit small minded to exclude the rest of the world just because you liked one small place on the planet. It is like you find you love the taste of Salmon and decide not to eat any else for the rest of your life, because tasting anything else is "risky".
Small minded? Not everyone is hung up on tring new things or measure the quality of their life on how many places they have been. They simply know what they like. If a guy likes to play golf is he small minded for doing that every Saturday instead of trying new things like rock climbing, sky diving, bowling, etc?

By your same logic - that one can develop a pretty good idea of what a place is like from all the information available - there's no need to actually go there in person to learn about those new places.

I think what is small minded is imposing one's values (exploring and trying new places) on others and belittling them if they don't share your values.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:57 AM

3,664 posts, read 6,487,596 times
I'm just happy people are taking a Vacation.

I love going to Amsterdam, and look forward to possibly going back next year.

We also go other places as well, so, you get some familiarity and some new adventures.

Different strokes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel