U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 10:34 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
What do I make of it? Absolutely nothing. They know what they like, and they get to decide how to choose their money. If they're happy with the way they do things who am I to judge?
I agree with this, with the exception of people who do nothing but complain about the place (or tour company or cruise ship) after they return, and then go back again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 10:36 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've met up with some of these people, in my 65 years, they get stuck on one travel destination and refuse to try any place else! So with these people, with safe predictability, you can ask them, year after year: How was your trip to London this year? How was your trip to Nashville this year? How was Hawaii this year? Did you get adventuresome this time, and explore another island beside Oahu?

I'm the type, even though I raved to no end about some new destination I discovered, I keep on trying new places. And, how many times, I got to my new destinations, and?

"Serve you right for being so adventuresome! You miscalculated and spent the whole time thinking of the last exciting place you visited, but decided not to return there!"

How about you? Do you know of these type of travelers? And what do you make of it? A little envious, maybe, to be that content with just repeatedly going back to the same place, over and over again?
Yep, I've met and known those types.

One who goes to Las Vegas EVERY YEAR...gets the same hotel, plays the exact same slot machine every time. I can't think of anything less stimulating.

Met a ton of expats in Korea, who go to the EXACT SAME places in, usually Thailand, routinely vacation after vacation. I'll assume they do the exact same things each time as well.

For me, I like my brain to be stimulated. I have to go to new places every time. I prefer NOT to visit the same city twice, but some cities I've gone to multiple times, but I'll routinely try to stay in a different part of the city each time; just so that I experience it in a different way each time as well.

I think travel is a reflection of how people live their live. Some are too scared to step out of their familiarity zone, so once they travel once, that becomes their familiar zone, and they just repeat it.

Others, they just want to experience every aspect of everything; and have more interesting lives in every conceivable way.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:01 AM

3,196 posts, read 1,813,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
you know what is familiar, safe and comfortable? Your own house.
Lol, you've never been to my house!

Old 06-04-2015, 11:02 AM

14,982 posts, read 31,366,361 times
I know a couple that goes to Disney world every year. They'll go other places but only in Florida.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:07 AM

3,196 posts, read 1,813,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
You'll really like it. What I disliked about other Caribbean destinations I visited (Bahamas, Jamaica, St. Thomas, St. Croix, etc.) was the lack of safety and the terrible feeling of being isolated in an all-inclusive bubble while there are people suffering in terrible poverty outside. We spent 4 nights in the Bahamas at such a resort for a friend's wedding, and the drive from the airport to the resort was awful - passed by starving dogs, horses so malnourished their ribs were showing, and very poor/homeless looking people walking around in what seemed to be rubble. That is not my idea of a vacation.

By contrast, I visited Aruba with my wife and 18 month old daughter, and we rented a car and drove all over the island. People were super friendly and helpful (we got lost once and a local in the supermarket let us follow his car to an attraction 10 minutes away), and we never felt unsafe or uncomfortable sitting on the sides of the road while my daughter napped, as my wife and I took turns walking outside and taking pictures.

Aruba has beautiful beaches, great restaurants (don't stay in an all inclusive for God's sake), and is really a pleasure to visit.
You should try the Cayman Islands, very nice, civilized, beautiful.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:16 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,643,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Yes, I've been to Grand Cayman. Easily my favorite of the handful of Caribbean islands I've been to.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:21 AM

35,108 posts, read 40,221,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've met up with some of these people, in my 65 years, they get stuck on one travel destination and refuse to try any place else! So with these people, with safe predictability, you can ask them, year after year: How was your trip to London this year? How was your trip to Nashville this year? How was Hawaii this year? Did you get adventuresome this time, and explore another island beside Oahu?

I'm the type, even though I raved to no end about some new destination I discovered, I keep on trying new places. And, how many times, I got to my new destinations, and?

"Serve you right for being so adventuresome! You miscalculated and spent the whole time thinking of the last exciting place you visited, but decided not to return there!"

How about you? Do you know of these type of travelers? And what do you make of it? A little envious, maybe, to be that content with just repeatedly going back to the same place, over and over again?
Why do you care where someone else travels? Their choice, their life, their money and I would venture to guess that they do not need anyone's permission outside of proper passports, etc.

I really do not focus my attention on the way others choose to live their lives, tending to my own keeps me busy enough.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:22 AM

21,166 posts, read 11,774,111 times
In my head, I distinguish between travel and vacations. Travel is awesome - you get to see new places and explore new things and get exposed to new people and new cultures. You can get a fresh outlook on life. But it's not always restful and relaxing. You usually know your time is limited and you want to try and see and do as much as possible because there is a change you'll never get to be there again.

Vacation is a break from the ordinary, a chance to operate on your schedule instead of school and work schedules and other people's needs and priorities. If you want to sleep in and then work up a good sweat walking from your hotel room to a lounge chair by the pool, and then do nothing else all day, more power to you! Sometimes, you need that chance to simply "be" and decompress, and sure, maybe see a site or two, enjoy a good meal, but no pressure to go, go, go, don't miss anything, or do anything but whatever you feel like doing that day. For many people, returning to a favorite spot accomplishes this nicely, because while you might choose to do some site-seeing or activities, you've done it before, and you'll be back again, so you aren't missing out if the pool seems like more fun this time than a museum. Any maybe you've made friends over the years, and coordinate your timing so you can enjoy a reunion with them every year, and watch each other's kids grow up.

I think there's a place in this world for both, and I personally love doing both. But sometimes people don't have the vacation time or financial resources to do both. And there's nothing wrong if they decide to use their limited time and resources on vacations instead of travel, if that is what refreshes their soul most.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:27 AM

629 posts, read 492,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Yes I've heard very nice things about Grand Cayman and Turks & Caicos as well. I understand those are much more like Aruba than are Jamaica/Dominican Republic/Bahamas, etc.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:33 PM

1,971 posts, read 1,373,867 times
What Do You Make Of Those That Get Stuck On Traveling To One Place Repeatedly?

Yes, I see it all the time, they are stuck with timeshares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel