U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 01:46 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,096,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
In my head, I distinguish between travel and vacations. Travel is awesome - you get to see new places and explore new things and get exposed to new people and new cultures. You can get a fresh outlook on life. But it's not always restful and relaxing. You usually know your time is limited and you want to try and see and do as much as possible because there is a change you'll never get to be there again.

Vacation is a break from the ordinary, a chance to operate on your schedule instead of school and work schedules and other people's needs and priorities. If you want to sleep in and then work up a good sweat walking from your hotel room to a lounge chair by the pool, and then do nothing else all day, more power to you! Sometimes, you need that chance to simply "be" and decompress, and sure, maybe see a site or two, enjoy a good meal, but no pressure to go, go, go, don't miss anything, or do anything but whatever you feel like doing that day. For many people, returning to a favorite spot accomplishes this nicely, because while you might choose to do some site-seeing or activities, you've done it before, and you'll be back again, so you aren't missing out if the pool seems like more fun this time than a museum. Any maybe you've made friends over the years, and coordinate your timing so you can enjoy a reunion with them every year, and watch each other's kids grow up.

I think there's a place in this world for both, and I personally love doing both. But sometimes people don't have the vacation time or financial resources to do both. And there's nothing wrong if they decide to use their limited time and resources on vacations instead of travel, if that is what refreshes their soul most.
I think this is a great distinction. I try to do both types of traveling and my go to place is Las Vegas. Most of the time when I am there I don't care about when I get up or what we do on each day. If there is something that we want to do and don't get around to it on a given trip we know that we'll be back so it's ok. However when I recently went to Europe, I constant felt that I had to get up and out as early as possible and do as much as possible because I wasn't sure when I was going to make it back. While I also enjoyed my time in Europe, I didn't feel like it was a vacation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 01:52 PM

708 posts, read 502,706 times
We met a family when we were on vacation to Disney World in Orlando that have gone to Disney World 15 straight years!

Old 06-04-2015, 02:25 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,580,382 times
I go to familiar places snd also exotic.

Makes a good mix.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:06 PM

7,136 posts, read 11,015,830 times
It's fun to see new places, but there are some places I've been to that I'd happily return to for the rest of my life. Sometimes a place just feels like the perfect fit.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:51 PM

317 posts, read 237,098 times
I like a mix of the familiar and the exotic. Living in China right now and everything is different. As a teacher I have July and August off and we will be traveling to Shanghai, Chengdu, HK, Phuket, and Malaysia. Never been to Phuket nor Malaysia and I'm looking forward to new cuisine, new culture, and of course beaches. Will also go to California for two weeks and plan to go to Lake Tahoe for 1 night. I've been there 20 x but that place also seems to refresh me.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:38 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,718,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've met up with some of these people, in my 65 years, they get stuck on one travel destination and refuse to try any place else! So with these people, with safe predictability, you can ask them, year after year: How was your trip to London this year? How was your trip to Nashville this year? How was Hawaii this year? Did you get adventuresome this time, and explore another island beside Oahu?

I'm the type, even though I raved to no end about some new destination I discovered, I keep on trying new places. And, how many times, I got to my new destinations, and?

"Serve you right for being so adventuresome! You miscalculated and spent the whole time thinking of the last exciting place you visited, but decided not to return there!"

How about you? Do you know of these type of travelers? And what do you make of it? A little envious, maybe, to be that content with just repeatedly going back to the same place, over and over again?
Where other people travel has no affect what so ever on me so i don't really care. let the travel where they want.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:05 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,238,678 times
Why would I care what people do to make themselves happy?

The one's I don't understand are the people who push their "travel beliefs" on everyone else.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:46 PM

5,466 posts, read 2,925,752 times
People are all different. Some people take vacationing to be a place where they get away to a different scenery (but a familiar scenery) and relax.

Others, like myself, do not take vacations rather we take adventures to different places.

It is all in what you like. To each his own.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:09 AM

3,491 posts, read 5,666,468 times
My family's big summer vacations are the same every year.It gets old.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:18 AM

30,701 posts, read 33,478,764 times
I rarely go anywhere so even though I've been to Ashland, Oregon several times over the last 30 years it's always new and fun because I'm going for the plays.

I just don't "vacation" much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel