Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 03:16 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,718,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I do it.
Already did the world. Most was fine to see once.
Now I found the places I like the best.
The places that restore me.
I go back there.
Wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 06:04 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
I like going new places, but I get easily stressed out when I'm out of my comfort zone. Put me in a country where I stick out like a sore thumb as a tourist, and I'm not too happy. I don't want to come across like some obnoxious Americans, with their attitudes of, "Why are there so many Spanish people here?" when they're in Barcelona, for example, but a different language, etc. isn't easy for me to navigate.

I'm going to return to a place that restores me, rejuvenates me, and makes me feel good. For me, that place is the Redwood forests in far Northern California. I went once two years ago, and I've been dreaming of going back ever since. I'd probably move to that area, but the healthcare up there isn't great. Even the fog is beautiful, and there's a hushed serenity to those forests that speaks to my soul.

People can spend their free time in whatever way they want to. Are they missing out? Sure, but if they don't feel the need to do more, that's up to them.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:46 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,730 times
Default Who cares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
What do I make of it? Absolutely nothing. They know what they like, and they get to decide how to choose their money. If they're happy with the way they do things who am I to judge?
I was hoping for more of a real story line in this thread but apparently not so this is the best response I saw in the first page.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:00 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,854,815 times
My daughter lives on the Main Line in Philly and she says all the people there tend to go "to the shore" for vacations. We thought it was funny as so many of them have never been west of Pittsburg. LOL I guess they know what to expect and enjoy no surprises. We have traveled to Europe 3 times, Hawaii, and pretty much over the US. I sort of feel sorry for these people as they have such a narrow view of our country.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:24 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
My daughter lives on the Main Line in Philly and she says all the people there tend to go "to the shore" for vacations. We thought it was funny as so many of them have never been west of Pittsburg. LOL I guess they know what to expect and enjoy no surprises. We have traveled to Europe 3 times, Hawaii, and pretty much over the US. I sort of feel sorry for these people as they have such a narrow view of our country.
Its okay we'll be fine

Old 06-06-2015, 04:21 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,382,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I sort of feel sorry for these people as they have such a narrow view of our country.
I do not think there is any reason to feel sorry for them. I am sure they are quite happy and intelligent.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:22 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I think this is a great distinction. I try to do both types of traveling and my go to place is Las Vegas. Most of the time when I am there I don't care about when I get up or what we do on each day. If there is something that we want to do and don't get around to it on a given trip we know that we'll be back so it's ok. However when I recently went to Europe, I constant felt that I had to get up and out as early as possible and do as much as possible because I wasn't sure when I was going to make it back. While I also enjoyed my time in Europe, I didn't feel like it was a vacation
We have felt that way on previous trips to Europe, but not the last one. We rented a flat in London for two weeks and settled in. We planned out about half the days and the rest we just hung out and did what we felt like doing. jogging in Kensington Gardens, yoga classes, buying cheese at the Fromangerie and meat at the butcher and making a great dinner. Walking around and visiting different neighborhoods far outside the tourist areas, stopping into the pub for a pint or a tea house for a pot. We didn't set an alarm most days, and had a couple that we were still in PJ's at noon, because we could. It was truly the best of both worlds, and I think it is how we will "do Europe" as often as possible from now on.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:38 PM

23,211 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
What Do You Make Of Those That Get Stuck On Traveling To One Place Repeatedly?

Yes, I see it all the time, they are stuck with timeshares.
It's easy to overlook the factor of timeshares!

And, in Minnesota, where I once lived, many a Minnesotan has a lake cabin on one of their 10,000 lakes, and so it's to their lake cabin, year after year!

Old 06-07-2015, 09:42 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,854,815 times
I am not saying these people are stupid or ignorant! It is what people are used to and, perhaps, what they have to spend for vacations.

I know people in CAL that they only go to Yosemite every summer. "To each their own".

Old 06-07-2015, 09:51 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
What do I make of it? Absolutely nothing. They know what they like, and they get to decide how to choose their money. If they're happy with the way they do things who am I to judge?

Agreed. It is their time and their money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel