Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 01:01 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

I've met up with some of these people, in my 65 years, they get stuck on one travel destination and refuse to try any place else! So with these people, with safe predictability, you can ask them, year after year: How was your trip to London this year? How was your trip to Nashville this year? How was Hawaii this year? Did you get adventuresome this time, and explore another island beside Oahu?

I'm the type, even though I raved to no end about some new destination I discovered, I keep on trying new places. And, how many times, I got to my new destinations, and?

"Serve you right for being so adventuresome! You miscalculated and spent the whole time thinking of the last exciting place you visited, but decided not to return there!"

How about you? Do you know of these type of travelers? And what do you make of it? A little envious, maybe, to be that content with just repeatedly going back to the same place, over and over again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 01:27 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I do it.
Already did the world. Most was fine to see once.
Now I found the places I like the best.
The places that restore me.
I go back there.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:17 AM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,143 times
To each their own I'd say. I only get to travel once or twice a year so I like to travel to different places, with an occasional repeat visit if I really like the place or to visit family. But I don't judge others on where they travel because I know everyone has a different idea of what's a good vacation. Kind of how some people like relaxing on the beach while others prefer to go hiking, visit museums and other landmarks, or visiting nightlife spots or sporting events.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:30 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
The places I go to more than once are because I am visiting close family or friends. Otherwise, I like exploring new places.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:27 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
What do I make of it? Absolutely nothing. They know what they like, and they get to decide how to choose their money. If they're happy with the way they do things who am I to judge?

Old 06-03-2015, 06:34 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
To each his own. Honestly, I'd have no problem traveling to the same place regularly. Once I like someplace, I really like it, and there's no need for me to travel for travel's sake. My time on earth is limited and its a matter of prioritizing. I can explore new places regularly, meeting new people, etc., or I can spend more time in a few places, building up ties and relationships. Am I at that stage now? No, but I can see me getting there later in life.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:45 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
I just don't travel with them and let them spend their money as they please.

My parents are like that. I'm not. It is what it is.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:15 AM

988 posts, read 1,017,490 times
I agree with the "to each his own" and "I don't judge" sentiment among the responses, but I also understand the original poster's point. We visited Aruba recently and although we have otherwise disliked the Caribbean, it was a lovely family vacation and I'd recommend it to anyone. While there, we met countless people who said they returned year after year because of how much they loved Aruba. On one hand I think that's great for them, but on the other hand I feel like you have so precious few weeks for vacation in your lifetime, why on earth would you spend most of it in the exact same place?

I noticed the same thing in Hawaii - so many repeat visitors. I absolutely loved Oahu and would certainly be interested in visiting some of the other islands at some point, but it's perplexing to me that you'd keep going back to the very same place year after year. Life is too short for that kind of travel lifestyle, if you ask me. But vacation is all about what makes you happy, so if they're happy, good for them.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:36 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
I don't because there are too many other places to visit. I would love to return to London or Paris, but I haven't been to Madrid, Krakow, Sicily, Greece, not to mention Brazil, Vietnam, Hokkaido, Australia, Hawaii, etc.

Many people are unfortunate to live in two or three cities in one country their entire life. If not explore more of the rest of the world during traveling, then they simply see and experience too little of the world.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:37 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
On one hand I think that's great for them, but on the other hand I feel like you have so precious few weeks for vacation in your lifetime, why on earth would you spend most of it in the exact same place?
Because they've found something that makes them happy, and they want to stick with it. Some folks are just risk averse. There is risk involved going someplace you haven't been before ... risk that you won't enjoy yourself, then you will have wasted that precious vacation time (and money) when they could have been spending someplace that they know they'll enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel