U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 01:11 PM

2,143 posts, read 3,560,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
For the week. As mentioned, the majority of my trip is being covered by my school. I'm just spending cash on souvenirs, the occasional beer (or 4!), and a couple of meals not covered by the school since I'm getting there a bit early.
Even souvenirs are expensive, I countered offered and 99% of the time I won out, but even a shirt will cost you 6 or 7 pounds. I think 500 would be good, just to be on the safe side and you could always withdraw more if need be but 200 pounds sounds mighty low, even if your trip is mostly covered.

It's been a month, but roughly what I spent was 75 pounds a day while I was there, and it was only 2 days. We did a walking tour which was pay via tip, so that was 15 pounds...then we tried to be cheap with lunch and had Burger King, and that was about 15 pounds total. Add in dinner, with no alcohol and that was about 40 pounds. A shirt or two and I'm almost at 80 pounds for the day.

Maybe I'm over shooting this, but as annerk stated, London is expensive and it's the most expensive city I've ever been to, and I live in DC which is expensive in its own right. A beer would probably set you back 3 or 4 pounds and if you plan on having more than 1, that's probably going to end up being half your budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 02:59 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,607,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Even souvenirs are expensive, I countered offered and 99% of the time I won out, but even a shirt will cost you 6 or 7 pounds. I think 500 would be good, just to be on the safe side and you could always withdraw more if need be but 200 pounds sounds mighty low, even if your trip is mostly covered.

It's been a month, but roughly what I spent was 75 pounds a day while I was there, and it was only 2 days. We did a walking tour which was pay via tip, so that was 15 pounds...then we tried to be cheap with lunch and had Burger King, and that was about 15 pounds total. Add in dinner, with no alcohol and that was about 40 pounds. A shirt or two and I'm almost at 80 pounds for the day.

Maybe I'm over shooting this, but as annerk stated, London is expensive and it's the most expensive city I've ever been to, and I live in DC which is expensive in its own right. A beer would probably set you back 3 or 4 pounds and if you plan on having more than 1, that's probably going to end up being half your budget.
There are plenty of cheap souvenir places around Trafalgar Square, Westminster, etc. I guess it depends on the quantity and type of souvenirs you are looking for. If it's cheap momentos, that's a good place to find things that are small and inexpensive. If you are looking for more expensive items, then yes, you'll need more money.

Additionally you are talking about costs for two, the OP is a single person.

200 pounds for a week is about 30 pounds per day. With meals and admissions covered, I think the OP will be fine with 30 pounds a day to buy a couple pints and some cheap souvenirs. Will it stretch far enough to bring back a suitcase full of things? No. But a t-shirt and some tchotchkes? Sure. If the hostel cost has to come out of the 200 pounds, then I think he will need to add more funds.

We typically spent 40 pounds for a pub dinner with a couple beers and a glass or two of wine.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:04 PM

11,714 posts, read 6,298,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
For the week. As mentioned, the majority of my trip is being covered by my school. I'm just spending cash on souvenirs, the occasional beer (or 4!), and a couple of meals not covered by the school since I'm getting there a bit early.
I made my week-long trip to the UK work with about 300 pounds in spending money (and didn't even spend it all . . . I had about 100 pounds leftover that I converted into Norwegian krones during my Oslo layover ). Then again, I didn't buy any souvenirs or hit the pubs excessively. If you're a low to no frills kind of person, I think 300 pounds is more than enough, especially considering that the bulk of your trip is being covered by your school . . . contrasting your trip with my time in London, all but one meal and one tube fare were covered by me. If you require more (nothing wrong with that), then you'll need more money. Although, in your case, especially given that most of your time will be covered by your school, 300 pounds may still be enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or