U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 11:35 AM

889 posts, read 586,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beakers91 View Post
If you are boarding at the end in the C group or late B's, that is only your own fault. I've flown Southwest at least 10 times in the last few years and have always checked-in at 24 hour mark and have never been higher than B30, which always gives you your choice of seats.
So, if everyone gets on the internet at 24 hours prior, does everyone get B30 or higher? What if everyone pays the $25 Early Bird check-in, does everyone get B30 or higher? It is not anyone's fault the open boarding concept is used to fool people into thinking they have a shot at a good seat. Business Select and Early Bird are add-ons to the basic cheap fare...to think that SW is not nickel and diming you like every other carrier is part of their advertising savvy. You and many others are being fooled and are okay with it. Why does SW have multiple fare options for the same flight? Think about it. I have been in A boarding group with my wife and we could not sit together because we were boarding at a stop-over and the plane was already 2/3 full..the 2/3 with the window and aisle seats. Then there are the @**e* that will split their party to hold the aisle and window to discourage an early boarder from sitting in the middle, and when someone decides to jump in the middle, they will say, "oh, I will move over, we are together". Think Forrest Gump trying to sit on the school bus.

Quote:
Having recently flown United and American, I can say that Southwest is my favorite airline. The prices can't be beat, and you get 2 free checked bags with that. Plus, they still actually serve snacks on board and I find the flight attendants are much more pleasant than other airlines.
Nothing wrong with liking SW...to each their own. But their prices are easily beat in most markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 12:11 PM

51 posts, read 123,362 times
I do shop my flights against other airlines when buying tickets (hence recently having flown one leg of a trip on American), and consistently find southwest to be cheaper, especially when flying on the weekends. That may not be the case for airports that aren't my home airport, I'm not an expert on airline ticket pricing, but I do my research. I've honestly never been on a stop-over plane, so I can't comment on that situation, but whenever I've checked-in 24 hours before the flight I've been assigned a good boarding position even on a flight where 1/3 of the passengers are from connecting flights so they have checked in earlier in the day.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:05 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,838,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Number of r/t flights I have taken in the past five years: ~200
Number of tickets I've needed to change: 1
You're very lucky. I have to change flights probably 30-40% of the time. But my company pays, so I'm not concerned about change fees.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:36 PM

6,317 posts, read 6,979,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
I almost always use Southwest and don't mind the system at all.

The worst part is that it takes a little longer to board because the front fills out first, so you have to wait for the front to fill up, and then people funnel to the back slowly.

Although with other airlines, I noticed (at least this was years ago) that they board the front of the plane (by aisles) first anyways so it doesn't make a difference!
Some board back to front. Some outside (aisle) in. Some skip so it's every three rows. This really is mildly fascinating. Every minute at a gate costs airlines some insane amount of money, so it is serious business for them to figure out the most efficient methods for boarding. And then they have to balance this with keeping their VIPs happy.

Quote:
I do shop my flights against other airlines when buying tickets (hence recently having flown one leg of a trip on American), and consistently find southwest to be cheaper, especially when flying on the weekends. That may not be the case for airports that aren't my home airport, I'm not an expert on airline ticket pricing, but I do my research. I've honestly never been on a stop-over plane, so I can't comment on that situation, but whenever I've checked-in 24 hours before the flight I've been assigned a good boarding position even on a flight where 1/3 of the passengers are from connecting flights so they have checked in earlier in the day.
It's funny that there's an argument about this. Of course pricing depends on your circumstance so I'm not sure why people are arguing so adamantly that Southwest is always cheapest or that it's not. It just depends!

They utilize a different model (point-to-point) than most other airlines so in some cases they drive down prices in certain markets, while in other cases they don't. I will say that most unbiased observers (transportation consultants and airport executives, etc) believe there is indeed a Jetblue/Southwest effect where prices drop when these airlines enter a market. But it DOESNT mean their prices for a route are always cheapest...they're gonna raise prices if they're consistently cheaper than their competitors, or their competition is gonna drop accordingly. One undeniable benefit of these two LCCs is that they sell by one-ways. On many routes with the legacies you'll pay a penalty for buying one ways instead of roundtrip or multi-city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Number of r/t flights I have taken in the past five years: ~200
Number of tickets I've needed to change: 1
It is possible that if you had the option to change for free you'd do it more often. And even if you don't change your flight, you get to buy your ticket and lock in your price, knowing that it won't ever go up BUT if the price drops you get to pocket the difference. It's another benefit that doesn't necessitate actually changing your itinerary.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,628 posts, read 39,998,659 times
Trust me... our 'travel queen' / non-resourceful / non helpful im-'poster' has never used SWA...

BTW: I usually get "A" numbers doing a conventional check-in ~ 23 hrs prior to flight... just 'depends'.

I don't get too worried about seating on a short USA flight.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:16 PM

1,581 posts, read 1,506,970 times
I exclusively fly Southwest unless of some weird circumstance. I only fly 2 or 3 times a year but still. It's not a difficult routine. Check in 24 hours before and find out where you're boarding, get there on time, get a seat and you're off. I didn't know people perceived this concept negatively. I like it.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:16 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
It is possible that if you had the option to change for free you'd do it more often. And even if you don't change your flight, you get to buy your ticket and lock in your price, knowing that it won't ever go up BUT if the price drops you get to pocket the difference. It's another benefit that doesn't necessitate actually changing your itinerary.
Nope. My calendar tends to get filled a month or more in advance, and seldom if ever changes. I can't be bothered watching fares every day on the slight chance that I might get a $20 voucher.

I've flown WN about half a dozen times. I hated the games, the cattle call, the line up, no upgrades, can't book the seat I want in advance, and because I live in Orlando, too may freaking kids. Additionally they are seldom the cheapest, and I'm not dealing with their nonsense to save $10 on the rare occasion that they are.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:18 PM

7,685 posts, read 16,115,889 times
Quote:
. One undeniable benefit of these two LCCs is that they sell by one-ways. On many routes with the legacies you'll pay a penalty for buying one ways instead of roundtrip or multi-city.
I was trying to use some United miles on our recent vacation to Denver. Since the airports near us have pretty limited service from United, saver award ticket space is quite limited. Ended up finding only one way saver space from Pensacola to Denver on the way out on United, and because Southwest is reasonable about one ways, used them to get home again with some gift cards from my stash.

cost for two RT tickets out of a generally expensive airline area and involving a summer holiday weekend:

United outbound 2x ($5 in airline tax/security fee + 25 in checked bag fees)
Southwest inbound- $25 for two early bird check-ins because their web site sucks and won't let you use a gift card on those.

Total- $85 out of pocket

Old 06-05-2015, 02:20 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
Quote:
One undeniable benefit of these two LCCs is that they sell by one-ways. On many routes with the legacies you'll pay a penalty for buying one ways instead of roundtrip or multi-city.
A year ago I would have agreed with you. These days, it's seldom the case.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:36 PM

420 posts, read 297,665 times
I almost always fly southwest and they are routinely cheaper! I check around each time and I haven't found anyone cheaper. It is a hassle checking in 24 hours in advance but the huge savings is worth it. I don't have legacy where I am so not sure about that. I do have frontier and spirit which are not as cheap when you count in your baggage fees. They are almost always on time as well. I have no problems with them in the many times and years I have flown with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or