U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 04:19 AM

38,128 posts, read 14,894,548 times

Advertisements

I love flying SWA and love their approach to baggage and boarding. It moves along quickly and seems fair to me.

Last summer, I flew another airline and paid extra for a window seat. A couple got on with several kids. They had not paid extra and as a result, they were strung out in middle seats. The flight attendant originally tried just getting people to move so they could sit together. When it was pointed out that she was asking people to give up seats they had paid for, she offered drink coupons.

This all took a fair amount of time in addition to the time it took for people bunched together by rows to work out how they were going to stuff their ridiculous amounts of baggage in the overhead bins.

It was a lengthy and tedious process.

Give me SWA any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 08:00 AM

4,445 posts, read 3,524,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I love flying SWA and love their approach to baggage and boarding. It moves along quickly and seems fair to me.

Last summer, I flew another airline and paid extra for a window seat. A couple got on with several kids. They had not paid extra and as a result, they were strung out in middle seats. The flight attendant originally tried just getting people to move so they could sit together. When it was pointed out that she was asking people to give up seats they had paid for, she offered drink coupons.

This all took a fair amount of time in addition to the time it took for people bunched together by rows to work out how they were going to stuff their ridiculous amounts of baggage in the overhead bins.

It was a lengthy and tedious process.

Give me SWA any day.
Actually your example serves my argument. With assigned seating the family should have been assigned seats together rather than fight for every last remaining seat. Of course in your scenario it didn't work out due to someone's (airline likely) failure but the system should be set up so these things don't happen. These scenarios are more likely to occur with open seating.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:09 AM

7,680 posts, read 16,095,286 times
The family could have likely paid a little extra to sit together and chose not to do so. Their cheapness and inability to plan and and then their expectation that others to give them something for free should not have been rewarded by the flight attendant.

I've seen FAs on Southwest break out the drink coupons in order to try to get people to swap seats to get a family to sit together too. Their 'family boarding' is after group A (which can cover a lot of the aisle and window seats) and the age cutoff for the kid allowing it isi something like 4 so there can end up being no difference than legacy assigned seating in terms of end result.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:04 AM

11,673 posts, read 6,277,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The family could have likely paid a little extra to sit together and chose not to do so. Their cheapness and inability to plan and and then their expectation that others to give them something for free should not have been rewarded by the flight attendant.

I've seen FAs on Southwest break out the drink coupons in order to try to get people to swap seats to get a family to sit together too. Their 'family boarding' is after group A (which can cover a lot of the aisle and window seats) and the age cutoff for the kid allowing it isi something like 4 so there can end up being no difference than legacy assigned seating in terms of end result.
That is a good point.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:29 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,832,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
It's possible that they had to book the flight close to the travel date and all that was available was middle seats. In that case, paying a little extra won't do anything.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:21 PM

4,810 posts, read 2,568,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
It's possible that they had to book the flight close to the travel date and all that was available was middle seats. In that case, paying a little extra won't do anything.
So it wouldn't be the airlines fault (counter to what was speculated upthread).
I'm sorry but unless you've not gotten aboard an aircraft since Lindburgh was last piloting, any expectation that you'll be seated in a group with a late booking (aka a couple of months out) with or without additional fees is, to be charitable, naive. A sense of entitlement doesn't fly these days. (Oh look, I made a funny)

Old 06-07-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
So it wouldn't be the airlines fault (counter to what was speculated upthread).
I'm sorry but unless you've not gotten aboard an aircraft since Lindburgh was last piloting, any expectation that you'll be seated in a group with a late booking (aka a couple of months out) with or without additional fees is, to be charitable, naive. A sense of entitlement doesn't fly these days. (Oh look, I made a funny)
But sometimes people have no choice but to book a flight, accepting whatever assigned seats are available, and hope for the goodwill of strangers to allow them to sit with their child. It's not always possible to plan Nana's illness or death more than a couple of months out. It's not a sense of entitlement, it's taking what you can get and hoping for the best.

I know I wouldn't want to be seated next to an anxious child whose mom is six rows forward and dad is 8 rows back. I would think that most families would be fine to not have the whole family together, so long as the children are not seated without a parent next to them.

Last edited by apexgds; 06-07-2015 at 07:21 PM..

Old 06-07-2015, 07:25 PM

4,810 posts, read 2,568,990 times
Quote:
But sometimes people have no choice but to book a flight, accepting whatever assigned seats are available, and hope for the goodwill of strangers to allow them to sit with their child. It's not always possible to plan Nana's illness or death more than a couple of months out.
Absolutely. Understood. Goodwill is a wonderful thing and should be offered, but not expected. You said it yourself "no choice but to book a flight, accepting whatever assigned seats are available" Sometimes them's the breaks folks.

Quote:
I would think that most families would be fine to not have the whole family together, so long as the children are not seated without a parent next to them.
You must be reading a different thread than I am. Apparently there are passengers and FA's attempting to stiff...errr...shame...err appeal to kindness of folks out from seating they've paid a premium to get. But...but... it's for the children. When I fly SWA I usually have to get up at O'dark-hundred the day prior to the flight so I can get something in the high "A's-Low B's" for check-in. What's their excuse? For that matter, you can buy a A1-15 right at the gate up to flightime. Again, what the excuse?

Last edited by take57; 06-07-2015 at 07:46 PM..

Old 06-07-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
You must be reading a different thread than I am. Apparently there are passengers and FA's attempting to stiff...errr...shame...err appeal to kindness of folks out from seating they've paid a premium to get. But...but... it's for the children.
It's not stiffing anyone or shaming anyone, and no one said that they're trying to get people to switch out of premium seats that they paid more for. We're not talking about offering someone a drink to switch from their Economy Plus seat to take an Economy seat. We're talking about switching from an aisle seat to a middle seat (which cost the same) ... and some people really don't care, and are willing to do it, drink or no drink. The drink is just using a tool at their disposal to provide positive customer service to resolve a situation that couldn't be avoided.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:14 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Quote:
But sometimes people have no choice but to book a flight, accepting whatever assigned seats are available, and hope for the goodwill of strangers to allow them to sit with their child. It's not always possible to plan Nana's illness or death more than a couple of months out. It's not a sense of entitlement, it's taking what you can get and hoping for the best.

I know I wouldn't want to be seated next to an anxious child whose mom is six rows forward and dad is 8 rows back. I would think that most families would be fine to not have the whole family together, so long as the children are not seated without a parent next to them.
The big problem is that the the obtuse adults always try to negotiate for the better seats. They would be better off asking people in the last row with no recline in front of the lav and galley to switch. But noooooooo..... they always expect the people in the first six rows to give up their seats so the snowflakes can sit together. Not going to happen. Not my monkey, not my zoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or