U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 10:35 AM

4,445 posts, read 3,525,516 times

Advertisements

I understand all the underlying things that go on with seat assignments. But with most airlines you know ahead of time whether you are seated together or apart. I generally don't like surprises and with the unpleasant experiences of flying altogether already (a thread in itself) I would just rather not worry about another possible sticky situation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 10:40 AM

7,315 posts, read 4,154,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
It's not stiffing anyone or shaming anyone, and no one said that they're trying to get people to switch out of premium seats that they paid more for.
On some airlines, the economy class aisle and window seats are premium seats that cost more. On others, you have to pay more if you want to select a seat at all before check-in (and of course, in those cases, the seats available at time of check-in are disproportionately middle ones).

So yes, in many cases you ARE asking people to switch out of premium seats that they paid for.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:44 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,833,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
On some airlines, the economy class aisle and window seats are premium seats that cost more. On others, you have to pay more if you want to select a seat at all before check-in (and of course, in those cases, the seats available at time of check-in are disproportionately middle ones).

So yes, in many cases you ARE asking people to switch out of premium seats that they paid for.
The only time I've seen aisle and window seats cost more is in Economy Plus. Not in economy.

And if you've paid more and want to stay where you are, then just politely say no. There's dozens of other people who might be willing to move to make the situation work.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:30 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
The only time I've seen aisle and window seats cost more is in Economy Plus. Not in economy.

And if you've paid more and want to stay where you are, then just politely say no. There's dozens of other people who might be willing to move to make the situation work.
On most if not all of the legacies, aisle and window seats in the first 10 or so rows of coach are sold at additional cost. Sometimes they can be booked for no extra cost beginning 24 hours before the flight time, sometimes they are never given away for free and the airline will fill the worst seats in the back of the bus and keeping those without seats waiting for seat assignments until the boarding process has begun, still trying to sell those "premium" seats.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
On most if not all of the legacies, aisle and window seats in the first 10 or so rows of coach are sold at additional cost. Sometimes they can be booked for no extra cost beginning 24 hours before the flight time, sometimes they are never given away for free and the airline will fill the worst seats in the back of the bus and keeping those without seats waiting for seat assignments until the boarding process has begun, still trying to sell those "premium" seats.
Yes, that's what I was saying ... those are generally the Economy Plus seats. And those usually aren't the folks that they're going to ask if they're willing to move.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's what I was saying ... those are generally the Economy Plus seats. And those usually aren't the folks that they're going to ask if they're willing to move.
Not always. Often they have no extra legroom or amenities, they are simply closer to the front and board earlier to ensure overhead space.

US doesn't even offer economy plus, but they sure charge extra for aisle/window seats in the first 6-10 rows. I have been asked to give up my seat in the first or second row of coach (not paid due to status) and have said no. I will gladly exchange my 2C for 2D or 3D, my 7C for 7D, etc. But people must be outside of their mind if they think I'm giving up 7C for 22B. They should be asking the person in 22A if they want to move to 7A.

By the way, there are definitely credible reports of DL and UA FA's telling people they couldn't move from their economy to PE seat after boarding was complete as it hadn't been paid for.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Not always. Often they have no extra legroom or amenities, they are simply closer to the front and board earlier to ensure overhead space.

US doesn't even offer economy plus, but they sure charge extra for aisle/window seats in the first 6-10 rows.
Okay, so they don't call it economy plus (they call it "ChoiceSeats" or "Preferred"), but it's basically the same thing without the extra 4 inches. Why are you arguing when we're talking about the same thing??

Old 06-08-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Okay, so they don't call it economy plus (they call it "ChoiceSeats" or "Preferred"), but it's basically the same thing without the extra 4 inches. Why are you arguing when we're talking about the same thing??
Because it is not the same thing. Economy Plus brings additional space and often amenities.

The only thing that is the same is that the seats have an additional fee associated with them--I will agree on that.

A handful are often blocked off for elites to choose at no additional cost.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Because it is not the same thing. Economy Plus brings additional space and often amenities.
Neither of which are relevant to the discussion. We're both talking about premium higher priced seats ... no matter what perks you get for the price.

Stop. I'm not doing this with you. We all know you think yourself a travel expert. You can stop showing off now.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Neither of which are relevant to the discussion. We're both talking about premium higher priced seats ... no matter what perks you get for the price.

Stop. I'm not doing this with you. We all know you think yourself a travel expert. You can stop showing off now.
I wasn't trying to "show off" but rather clarifying semantics.

Let's agree that certain seats in the front of the coach/economy cabin have additional fares attached, and people are crazy if they think someone is trading one of those seats for 27B to let the 12 year old snowflake sit with mommy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or