Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 10:22 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
I wouldn't trade ANY window or isle seat for ANY middle. I don't care if I am the last person off. What's the hurry?
Having a 35 minute connection in many airports where you need to switch to a different terminal. If you are in the back of the bus it's a very high chance you will miss your conecting flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 10:39 AM

442 posts, read 496,664 times
We have come to love SW. I hated it before I tried it, but now...I hate the way legacy carriers board/operate.

We flew Sun Country last spring...boarding takes FOREVER when done "the traditional" way.

From MSP, the cheapest options are SC and SW. SW will win out everytime, for me, based solely on the boarding experience.

"Line up" for SW is nothing like it used to be - no cattle call of people jostling around. Nice, orderly, everyone files on, stows, sits, and takes off.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:28 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetropolitanTN View Post
Southwest is best for when you want to check luggage. That's because two checks bags fly free.
Bags don't fly free, the cost to transport them is built into the ticket price.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Bags don't fly free, the cost to transport them is built into the ticket price.
Then take the lowest price you fine and add the baggage fees (often $30 - $80 for non-priority fliers) and see how that works out for you. Hopefully very nice! (I am glad there are lots of choices of carriers).

I am building a house in another location so carpenter tools fly free on SWA (up to 50#/ bag) 4 bags of tools will go with us tomorrow.

Usually I take 'free' coolers of Salmon on SWA to trade for CO / NE / WY Beef.

Best wishes on your FREEDOM of CHOICE in airlines! I'm pleased with mine... (USUALLY SWA domestic). Today Alaska introduced great fares to one of my frequent destinations. I really like flying them, BUT they are $10 less than SWA and are $300 MORE for a refundable / change ticket (~$100-$200+ for most carriers) . I book 6 months in advance and if the weather changes, or something else comes along (unexpected concert, event, family healthcare crisis, death...), I like to have the freedom to change.

YMMV

Disclaimer... this comment is for the normal grunt (99%) flier... (No priority earned, non-first class prices or upgrades...)

Old 06-10-2015, 11:00 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Haven't flown much lately but when we did a few years back, spouse & I got a couple of free flights on SW Rapid Rewards...so riding the cattle car was worth it. Nowdays, just about all carriers are cattle cars, anyway.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:43 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
TLDR: I prefer assigned seats on airplanes
Me too. I avoid SW whenever I can.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:09 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
I always fly SWa because their frequent flier program is the best in existence (tied with Air Berlin with Jet Blue right behind them as a recent WSJ article pointed out, and because getting free flights on SWA is as easy as breathing, since every flight to every destination is available for freebies, even 'the last flight out on the day before Thanksgiving' according to their spokesman--try doing so on any other of the Big Five airlines and you'll get laughed out of the airport.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:56 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I have witnessed something before that pi--ed me off, and I thought it was Southwest (but maybe it was another airline). They announced that "those with small children" can board first, and there was a family with several older members that argued with the admissions assistant that they were together and should board together. And she let them. That's bull crap!

Old 06-20-2015, 08:23 AM

7,824 posts, read 4,564,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I have witnessed something before that pi--ed me off, and I thought it was Southwest (but maybe it was another airline). They announced that "those with small children" can board first, and there was a family with several older members that argued with the admissions assistant that they were together and should board together. And she let them. That's bull crap!
What? People abusing rules for their own gain? Unpossible.
BTW - Love your term "admissions assistant". Very Disney-esque!

Old 06-20-2015, 01:31 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I love flying SW and always purchase the early bird check in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel