U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you switch seats so a family could sit together?
Yes I would move. 129 33.42%
Yes, but only if I could get a similar or better seat. 111 28.76%
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances. 119 30.83%
No I would not move. 27 6.99%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 12:58 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,427,493 times

Advertisements

I would if there were young children involved or if someone had severe anxiety or there was some other extreme scenario where my being kind would really help someone out.

An airline glitch once caused a friend to be separated from her 6 year old on a full flight and they were literally at the mercy of strangers. Frankly, don't want to be the kind of person who is so self-centered that my comfort trumps all else. And since we're likely talking about flying coach "comfort" is a pretty low bar to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 01:05 PM

1,170 posts, read 794,476 times
It's interesting that we're not holding the airlines accountable.

Anyone leaving the seat they booked to assist a family should be given an automatic $25 credit. The airline is responsible for seating - since they charge for seats, they should AUTOMATICALLY offer (at the gate) a small recognition. "We have a family hoping to sit together, if anyone in rows [number close to family] is willing to change we have a gesture of our appreciation.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:50 PM

442 posts, read 380,376 times
Yes, I would. Sitting in a less than ideal spot on a plane is going to only be 'bad' for a few hours. In the scheme of my whole life, not even a blip. But, I made the day easier for a family, and for the flight attendants. That is worth more to me than a 'good' seat.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:50 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
It's interesting that we're not holding the airlines accountable.

Anyone leaving the seat they booked to assist a family should be given an automatic $25 credit. The airline is responsible for seating - since they charge for seats, they should AUTOMATICALLY offer (at the gate) a small recognition. "We have a family hoping to sit together, if anyone in rows [number close to family] is willing to change we have a gesture of our appreciation.
Who says the Airlines are responsible for putting a family together? If you find such requirement or promise, then you can hold the airlines accountable.

I am sure the fine prints always see you are guaranteed a seat (sometimes not even that), nothing more than that. If you don't like such an arrangement, feel free not to take this flight.

Shocking so many people feel as customers they are entitled to have this and that.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:03 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,418,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Who says the Airlines are responsible for putting a family together? If you find such requirement or promise, then you can hold the airlines accountable.

I am sure the fine prints always see you are guaranteed a seat (sometimes not even that), nothing more than that. If you don't like such an arrangement, feel free not to take this flight.

Shocking so many people feel as customers they are entitled to have this and that.
Actually, they should do away with the ability to select seats at all you just get a ticket. Say if you have disabilities, what your status is, and how many are in your group, . You could put in your preference for aisle or window, but that should be lower down on the priority list. Then the airline assigns you to a seat.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:

I do believe that if a family booked together and had pre-assigned seats together and through aircraft change or delays they lose their seats then the airline should have to seat them together (which might be achieved by compensating other travelers).

I actually think that families traveling with children should be REQUIRED to pay for reserved seats to avoid pressure being put on other travelers (when we book we are always asked the ages of our children and if the age is less than 12 or so there should be a requirement for the flyer to pay to reserve seats together). If both of the above were done, then the issue should resolve itself. I don't feel any need to accommodate a married couple etc who haven't prebooked.

My suggestion was more in regards to the fact that travelers have no concern about asking other flyers to move.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:08 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
I do believe that if a family booked together and had pre-assigned seats together and through aircraft change or delays they lose their seats then the airline should have to seat them together (which might be achieved by compensating other travelers).

I actually think that families traveling with children should be REQUIRED to pay for reserved seats to avoid pressure being put on other travelers (when we book we are always asked the ages of our children and if the age is less than 12 or so there should be a requirement for the flyer to pay to reserve seats together). If both of the above were done, then the issue should resolve itself. I don't feel any need to accommodate a married couple etc who haven't prebooked.

My suggestion was more in regards to the fact that travelers have no concern about asking other flyers to move.
No. Family or not, people should get the same treatment for the paying the same fare. I don't see why families should get some special treatment.

I am sick of families who think just because they have small kids, everyone in the world should just give the best to them. It is usually a courtesy if others are kind enough to think for you, not some sort of right.

Want anything better for sure? please pay for it. Otherwise you should be treated the same.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:28 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,504,178 times
Yeah I would in many cases.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
No. Family or not, people should get the same treatment for the paying the same fare. I don't see why families should get some special treatment.

I am sick of families who think just because they have small kids, everyone in the world should just give the best to them. It is usually a courtesy if others are kind enough to think for you, not some sort of right.

Want anything better for sure? please pay for it. Otherwise you should be treated the same.
Before you get all worked up you should read my post more carefully, I did say they should pay, in fact they should be required to...

Old 06-10-2015, 03:05 PM

2,702 posts, read 3,739,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Don't care if it's rude. I will not. Here's why.

Unlike most flyers, I am well prepared every time. This is because it's getting increasingly uncomfortable to fly. The airlines are doing everything in their power to scam hundreds out of you for simple choice. The only way to beat them is to do the least logical thing (in their mind).
  • I book at least 3 weeks in advance if I can. If it's work travel I don't always have that luxury, mind.
  • I ALWAYS select an aisle seat. Period. Middle is unacceptable, window is unacceptable. This is because I am fast to get up when the plane lands, and most people just take their sweet time. I don't have time for that.
  • I ALWAYS select a seat that's ahead of the wing. I don't care beyond that. This is because, again, I am purposely trying to get off the plane as fast as possible.
  • If I can get first class, I'll usually take it, especially if it's not that much or if a mileage upgrade is available. This is because, when there's two seats, it's easier to manage than three. More elbow room, more space, more peace. (except that one time some guy, his wife and screaming child decided to eat up three of the four seats on the aisle in front of mine rather than take three seats in economy.)
  • If the airline I want to take doesn't have a good return seat, I'll book a one way on one airline and a one way return on another airline that does have the seat I want.
  • If an airport is a hub for an airline I'll favor that airline despite it not being my primary. (Lesson learned: Flying out of Boston requires JetBlue for sanity sake.)
I mean I spend HOURS getting the right setup. HOURS. Every time. The only exception would be if it's a short hop flight, like if I'm flying from Washington to Oregon or something. I still do the above but I don't get picky about first class or anything.

I had a prime seat, 7th row aisle, on one trip. I believe I was on my way back from Cleveland to Washington State. Got an overhead call to come up to counter.

Guy says, "I have a family who wants to sit next to each other. Would you mind trading?"
I said, "First class?"
Guy said, "no."
I said, "then no."

End of discussion. Family was distraught, but too bad. They should have planned better, AND the airline should be the one doing whatever it took to accommodate them. Bump me up to first class and eat it so you can make that poorly planned family happy. I won't throw away my hours without getting something substantial in return.
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! just WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or