U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you switch seats so a family could sit together?
Yes I would move. 129 33.42%
Yes, but only if I could get a similar or better seat. 111 28.76%
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances. 119 30.83%
No I would not move. 27 6.99%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 08:24 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,632,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
Two flights in a row I had the window seat in the last row with the wall at my back....I LOVE sitting there....
I hate the smell from the lav, the constant flow of people to the lav and galley, and not being able to recline. The ONLY time I have taken that seat in the past 20+ years was one time when it was the only option if I wanted to change to an earlier flight when my meetings ended before noon and I was booked on a flight at 8:00 pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If the phrase "37 minute connection time in Atlanta" (aka the world's busiest airport) doesn't strike fear in your heart, then you have had a charmed flying experience. Even on an RJ, those extra three minutes make a difference if you're trying to get from like A to E terminal, and that's assuming your first flight actually arrives on time and there are no technical issues. I've had a couple of flights where we've had to wait ten minutes to deplane due to jet bridge issues.
Same thing with PHL when you know you need to connect from A-B-C to F or even CLT where you have to go from A to E. Or DCA where you have to take the shuttle across the tarmac. The list goes on, but suffice to say the connection times allowed these days are way too short, particularly when you are seated in the rear of the plane.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Here is a good article for you to read about seat assignments. Even if you plan ahead, which many families do, they get reassigned. I'm surprised you have never had equipment changes on flights, that has happened frequently to me in my 20 years of flying. I normally only care when I am traveling as a family though, as that is when seats assignments get messy.

Time to end the airline seat-switching games
Best thing to do is to check weekly. If seats get reassigned, call immediately to get things sorted instead of finding out at the airport.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I guess if someone wouldn't switch and I had a young child, they'd be the one dealing with the crying, snotty, possibly vomiting kid... So while I wouldn't be happy about it, I'd likely advise them to keep an airsick bag handy and to sing "wheels on the bus" over and over until he stops crying... good luck!

My guess is that the passenger would decide to switch after all, principles be damned.
I would tell you that I am not a babysitter and you will be responsible for the cleaning bills if your child pukes, snots, pees, or spills on me.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonesuch View Post
a secondary advantage of exit row seating, no lap babies, no kids under 15 permitted to sit in an exit row.
yes!

Old 06-11-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I would if there were young children involved or if someone had severe anxiety or there was some other extreme scenario where my being kind would really help someone out.

An airline glitch once caused a friend to be separated from her 6 year old on a full flight and they were literally at the mercy of strangers. Frankly, don't want to be the kind of person who is so self-centered that my comfort trumps all else. And since we're likely talking about flying coach "comfort" is a pretty low bar to begin with.
I bet you wouldn't feel that way had you paid extra to book the seat you were sitting in.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
It's interesting that we're not holding the airlines accountable.

Anyone leaving the seat they booked to assist a family should be given an automatic $25 credit. The airline is responsible for seating - since they charge for seats, they should AUTOMATICALLY offer (at the gate) a small recognition. "We have a family hoping to sit together, if anyone in rows [number close to family] is willing to change we have a gesture of our appreciation.
Credits suck. I'd want CASH.

And if I had paid extra to reserve the seat I was in, I'd want that back in CASH.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Who says the Airlines are responsible for putting a family together? If you find such requirement or promise, then you can hold the airlines accountable.

I am sure the fine prints always see you are guaranteed a seat (sometimes not even that), nothing more than that. If you don't like such an arrangement, feel free not to take this flight.

Shocking so many people feel as customers they are entitled to have this and that.
Actually certain levels of FF status are guaranteed certain seats as long as they are available while booked (and they are held for FF's until boarding begins on most carriers) and if you pay extra for a premium seat you are guaranteed that seat.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Actually, they should do away with the ability to select seats at all you just get a ticket. Say if you have disabilities, what your status is, and how many are in your group, . You could put in your preference for aisle or window, but that should be lower down on the priority list. Then the airline assigns you to a seat.
They already have it. It's called flying Southwest.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:38 AM

9,130 posts, read 17,164,373 times
Oddly enough few years ago US put my 13 Year Old son in a exit row, and me in the row in front of him, (Both Middles),

Guess their seat selection software does not look at age, Since we have to give to them as part of the PNR.

And from what I've seen sitting in the Exit Row, I'm willing to bet he could do a better job getting the Exit Window open, then a bunch of the people that are sitting there.

- Limited English
- So Overweight that I think they would get stuck in the window exit if they went out.
- So frail looking, there is no way they could open the Exit.
- Once there was a person with a Service Dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or