U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you switch seats so a family could sit together?
Yes I would move. 129 33.42%
Yes, but only if I could get a similar or better seat. 111 28.76%
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances. 119 30.83%
No I would not move. 27 6.99%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 08:34 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I can and do stow it just fine thank you. When a flight attendant or another passenger decides to move it to the back that is beyond my control, and presents a difficulty. I also said I CAN get it out on my own although it requires more time and standing on seats. I have done so and would do so again in the future.

I did not ask to be the height I am, and I should not have to follow different rules to satisfy someone that feels entitled to dictate the actions of others. That is like claiming all people of a certain race, something over which they have no control, should also not be allowed to check bags. Sorry the differences of humans irritate you so much. What a sad thing for you.

I'll also add my height is a benefit to other air passengers as I rarely recline my seat. I have plenty of leg room. The person sitting next to me often gets a bit of bonus space.
If it's small enough to get pushed to the back, why not just put it under the seat in front of you. I hope you are booking aisle seats so you aren't standing on a seat that the person behind you now has to sit on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
For all your not-babysittingness, if you choose to be the adult sitting next to a three year old in the absence of a parent you'd better brush up on your singing voice and break out the wipes.

OK, now you're just being weird. We should spend $80,000 on a flight just so you don't get an aisle seat?
I have an eye mask, ear plugs, and portable music. Not my monkey, not my zoo.

I'm not giving up my aisle seat in the front of the bus. And yes, if you want to ensure you are seated together without inconveniencing others (which given you previous post you have no problem doing) you should spend the money for first or business.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
People with lap babies get the bulkhead seats by default, the only preference is given to people with younger lap babies (because of the weight limit in the bassinette). I went for years and years only ever flying bulkhead.

And don't forget, people with lap babies paid more for their ticket than anyone else in that cabin (adult, plus 10% of full adult fare plus two sets of fees). I've been quoted five times as much for my lap baby than for my own ticket (yes, I bought a full ticket for them on that flight).
Not sure where you get your information, but on many if not most carriers (US domestic and International), you couldn't be more wrong about the allocation of bulkhead seats. The only time infants (not "lap babies" on most airlines get priority for bulkheads is when they are charged for a bassinette.

There isn't a single US based carrier that charges for a lap baby. So no, unless you are flying on some--not all-international carrier, you aren't paying extra.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Personally attack? I'm repeating your own words back to you. Cry me a river if you end up entertaining my 18 month old for nine hours because you won't move.
Maybe you should ask others as well. Or are you so fixated on getting the premium seat that you would expect others to give it up? Start by asking those around the worst seat if they would be willing to take the best one you ahve to offer and go from there.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
IDK...I think WildColonialGirl is making some great points.

According to a lot of these responses, perhaps we parents shouldn't even consider requesting another passenger switch so we can sit with our little ones. So rude to even ask!! I'd hate for some poor soul to have to respond "no" to a politely asked question. You all may be on to something...maybe we should just sit quietly and wait for the airline to handle it...after they screwed up our well-planned seating arrangements...
Book premium seats and it won't be a problem. Issue solved.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Or sit quietly and hope no one suspects we're associated with the screaming dervish up in row 14.
Actually if no one will switch they will simply give you the boot off the flight until they can find one with suitable seating for you. No compensation will be offered. I've seen it happen. So sad, too bad, they should have planned that one out better.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:03 AM

2,639 posts, read 5,218,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
It's not always the case of a person overpacking. I am under 5 feet. While I can very often easily lift my carry-on into the overhead bin it often shifts or is moved. If it's moved to the back (and it often is) there is absolutely no way for me to get it unless I stand on the seat and do some clever acrobatics. I once had this experience while the guy behind me huffed and puffed because he couldn't get off. All he had to do with his long arms was reach it and bring it to the front for me. No lifting involved.

Please don't suggest that because I am short I should not be allowed to bring a carry-on. My carry-on is ALWAYS undersized and light weight.

To T. Damon and others that kindly help people get stuff down from the overhead bins--thank you! My H does the same when we travel together which is most of the time.
You're welcome.

I have never encountered a carry on I couldn't pull out of the overhead. Period. Plus it's exercise - and I know a lot of people hate exercise, but yeah. Especially after a long flight where you're just sitting there, my muscles really enjoy the exertion, even if for a little while. I feel energized, ready for my power walk to the rental car place.

This...helping others get their bag out...that's common courtesy, and I 100% support it, which is why I do it. Don't matter if they're short, kids, elderly, whatever. It helps my muscles, helps the plane empty faster, and does something nice for people with no cost to me. That's the key. There's no negative.

I laugh at people who would gladly waste money giving up their seats yet refuse to help people get their bags down for free. Especially if you're in the aisle seat anyway, or you're tall (as I am) or you're muscular (as I am), or you have long reach (as I do). Use those talents AND benefit from the stretching after the flight.

(Side note: screw JFK for your long winded 20-minute trek to the rental car place.)

Old 06-12-2015, 12:02 PM

2,813 posts, read 1,531,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually if no one will switch they will simply give you the boot off the flight until they can find one with suitable seating for you. No compensation will be offered. I've seen it happen. So sad, too bad, they should have planned that one out better.
I have flown a lot, and my husband flies weekly, and I find it remarkable that you happened to actually witness a family get booted off because NO ONE on the ENTIRE plane would switch seats with them. Unbelievable. I bet you were super-super sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If it's small enough to get pushed to the back, why not just put it under the seat in front of you. I hope you are booking aisle seats so you aren't standing on a seat that the person behind you now has to sit on.
I hope you never find yourself in a situation where, despite your best efforts, unexpected challenges arise and you need to ask for help from the people around you, and they interrogate before deciding if you're worthy of receiving help. I can't imagine living in your world

Old 06-12-2015, 12:06 PM

1,331 posts, read 827,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
I can't tell if you're trying to be obtuse? Read the rest of my post.
Quote:
I'd be happy to.
You then proceed to quote MY ORIGINAL POST. Address tivancouver's post, which was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
Why wouldn't you take care of your own 18 month old?

Pay for a seat selection - don't be cheap. If something happens and your pre-booked seats aren't available, and if the gate agent won't assure you you're seated together book the next flight. I find it VERY strange that anyone would board with a toddler in the expectation they'll bully a fellow traveler into moving.
^^ That's what tivancouver is referring to.

I'm not sure what the issue is. When I book flights with my husband, we can select seats together. If we can't, we book a different flight or sit separately. I don't assume other people are going to move for me. I don't show up and demand someone move so I can sit next to my husband. If I had a child and couldn't reserve them a seat next to me, I'd book another flight. I wouldn't inconvenience other people unless I really had no other choice.

Also, lap babies usually fly for free, do they not? I've never been on an airline that charges for a lap baby.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:16 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,102,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post

Also, lap babies usually fly for free, do they not? I've never been on an airline that charges for a lap baby.
Depends if it's a domestic or international flight. Qantas international is 10% of the adult fare for lap infants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or