U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you switch seats so a family could sit together?
Yes I would move. 129 33.42%
Yes, but only if I could get a similar or better seat. 111 28.76%
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances. 119 30.83%
No I would not move. 27 6.99%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 02:47 PM

517 posts, read 567,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Yup. The ones who bring on luggage they can't manage on their own and the ones who expect to exchange the crappiest seats on the plane for the best ones when trying to sit next to their traveling companions.

I saw it again last Friday. We were seated in coach because weather delays caused our connecting flight the night before to be cancelled. We had proactively rebooked onto the first flight out on Friday morning before even boarding our first flight, as we knew we would miss the connection (which ended up cancelled.)

We were seated in 6 D&E. A woman got on with a couple of kids who were probably 8 & 10, and proceeded to have a cow because they couldn't all sit together. She asked the people across the aisle to move for her and her kid who was in 6B--she and the other kid were in the back in middle seats. They said no. (These were premium seats that they would have paid extra for.) She then asked us. We said no. My husband has a number of broken bones and needs assistance--which is why we couldn't take the exit row, not to mention we had already been downgraded from the first class seats we had paid for. She then got huffy and all ticked off. Her kids were old enough to fly unaccomapanied. Does she still take them to the bathroom? Or ride the school bus with them? It was a 90 minute flight. The kids seemed fine with it, it was the mother who was freaking out.

The lady in the middle seat behind us later said she was about to offer to switch so the mother could at least be near her one kid but once she started ranting the lady behind us changed her mind.
Good point.

It all depends on the situation...if the kids are small then I would likely lean towards allowing family to sit together.

But if the flight is long, and if I was with my GF...maybe less likely.

Generally I would lean towards accomodating rather than not if I was flying alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 10:06 AM

17,086 posts, read 9,867,125 times
I travel with family multiple times per year. Buy the tickets early and pay for assigned seats (if it's necessary). No problem.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:01 AM

16,085 posts, read 23,894,650 times
Lotta bad karma in those poll results.....

Old 06-25-2015, 12:07 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Lotta bad karma in those poll results.....
I think most of us agree that we would move to a similar or better seat so a parent could sit with a young child. That said, I think it is unreasonable to ask someone to give up a seat they paid extra for to move to a poor seat. The problem is that more often than not, the parents asking for the switch are always looking for the better seats. I would gladly switch any seat in the back for aisle towards the front. But there's no way I'm moving from my forward aisle seat to a middle in the back. The parent asking for that is selfish and inconsiderate. The person asking for the switch should ALWAYS be willing to forfeit the better seat. Unfortunately more often than not, they don't. Their loss, because I think most people would be willing to switch for a better seat.

I'd also say that I live in Orlando. Particularly on Friday night and Saturday morning, most of the flights are 99% families. Take out the first class and exit row seats, and you won't find many passengers who aren't traveling with their families. Why would one family have precedence over another?

Old 06-25-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
That said, I think it is unreasonable to ask someone to give up a seat they paid extra for to move to a poor seat. The problem is that more often than not, the parents asking for the switch are always looking for the better seats.
Reading in motives of better seating or paying a little more, excuses imo. Trivial.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Reading in motives of better seating or paying a little more, excuses imo. Trivial.
I disagree. When someone has paid an extra $50 or more to get a premium seat, it's absurd to ask them to give it up. Why doesn't the person wishing to change offer up their premium seat to someone next to the person they are wishing to move? They want their cake and eat it too--they are the ones inviting bad karma by being selfish.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I disagree. When someone has paid an extra $50 or more to get a premium seat, it's absurd to ask them to give it up. Why doesn't the person wishing to change offer up their premium seat to someone next to the person they are wishing to move? They want their cake and eat it too--they are the ones inviting bad karma by being selfish.
Their bad karma, their problem.

Wouldn't be my choice...not an argument. No need to take it personally

Old 06-25-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't be my choice...not an argument. No need to take it personally
I'm not taking it personally because I'm not the one being the selfish ***ch that I saw on the plane Friday morning who was asking people to give up premium seats they had paid extra for and move to the back of the bus. The proper way for her to handle it was to offer her kid's 6B to the person next to her or her daughter back in the 20's someplace. Too bad she was to stupid/selfish/ignorant to figure it out. As I mentioned, the lady in 7B was ready to offer to move, but then the mother got nasty and the lady in 7B decided she wanted no part of it, so she didn't offer.

I also recently saw a guy who had gotten an upgrade to F while his kid was still back in the boonies someplace. The guy actually asked the person next to him if he would switch so the kid could move up front. That one pretty much blew my mind. I'm sure if the father had asked the person next to his kid to switch and gone to the back the person would have been happy to do so. Then the guy acted like an ass the entire trip up and down about 10 times from the window seat to "check on his kid." The worst part was that the "kid" had zits and the beginnings of a moustache--probably around 13 or 14. What a buffoon. By the way, it was a 90 minute flight.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:44 PM

25,906 posts, read 36,334,219 times
I've never seen a parent or flight attendant ask specific people to move. I've only experienced attendants asking for volunteers over the intercom. I agree that singling people out and putting them on the spot is pushy, and I see very little reason other than disability for bigger kids (maybe 7+) to have to sit with a parent.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I've never seen a parent or flight attendant ask specific people to move. I've only experienced attendants asking for volunteers over the intercom. I agree that singling people out and putting them on the spot is pushy, and I see very little reason other than disability for bigger kids (maybe 7+) to have to sit with a parent.
Most FA's won't get involved unless they absolutely have to. They (and the gate agents) tell people to ask others to switch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or