U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you switch seats so a family could sit together?
Yes I would move. 129 33.42%
Yes, but only if I could get a similar or better seat. 111 28.76%
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances. 119 30.83%
No I would not move. 27 6.99%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 01:52 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,883,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'm not taking it personally because I'm not the one being the selfish ***ch that I saw on the plane Friday morning who was asking people to give up premium seats they had paid extra for and move to the back of the bus. The proper way for her to handle it was to offer her kid's 6B to the person next to her or her daughter back in the 20's someplace. Too bad she was to stupid/selfish/ignorant to figure it out. As I mentioned, the lady in 7B was ready to offer to move, but then the mother got nasty and the lady in 7B decided she wanted no part of it, so she didn't offer.

I also recently saw a guy who had gotten an upgrade to F while his kid was still back in the boonies someplace. The guy actually asked the person next to him if he would switch so the kid could move up front. That one pretty much blew my mind. I'm sure if the father had asked the person next to his kid to switch and gone to the back the person would have been happy to do so. Then the guy acted like an ass the entire trip up and down about 10 times from the window seat to "check on his kid." The worst part was that the "kid" had zits and the beginnings of a moustache--probably around 13 or 14. What a buffoon. By the way, it was a 90 minute flight.
I hear you... some ballsy peeps out there. Thanks for the story and lols.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 01:52 PM

1,170 posts, read 794,301 times
Quote:
Most FA's won't get involved unless they absolutely have to. They (and the gate agents) tell people to ask others to switch.
I agree, IMO the gate agent should ask for volunteers at the gate, and you'd have time to make the swaps logically. This should be done EVERY time there is a mix up caused by the airline or where circumstances are truly unforeseen.

If this was done regularly you'd know that the ones asking you to move on the plane were just too cheap to pay for advance seat selection, then I would feel differently. I was discussing this with one of my neighbors and she said they never pay for seat selection for their family of 6 including 3 young children because they know they'll get people to move on the plane so don't need to waste their money... .

The gate agents are too lazy in most cases, so they shift the burden to travellers to be put on the spot to move.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:02 PM

25,906 posts, read 36,320,496 times
Quote:
Most FA's won't get involved unless they absolutely have to. They (and the gate agents) tell people to ask others to switch.
Weird. It happened on the latest flight I took (April 2015), but you have more experience with different airlines than I do.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:12 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Weird. It happened on the latest flight I took (April 2015), but you have more experience with different airlines than I do.
The gate agents push it onto the FA's and the FA's don't want to get in the middle of it and risk someone complaining about them "making them move."

heck, I've seen gate agents wave kids seated in exit rows through and then expect the FA's to "fix it." That one is usually a pretty easy fix as exit rows are typically considered "better" seats due to the few extra inches of legroom. (They aren't always better--but that's a different thread.)

Old 06-26-2015, 06:24 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,095,286 times
Quote:
I also recently saw a guy who had gotten an upgrade to F while his kid was still back in the boonies someplace. The worst part was that the "kid" had zits and the beginnings of a moustache--probably around 13 or 14. What a buffoon. By the way, it was a 90 minute flight.
So not really a kid at all. I know that some airlines technically can call parents in different cabin than kids an unaccompanied minor situation and hit dad up with those fees accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
I agree, IMO the gate agent should ask for volunteers at the gate, and you'd have time to make the swaps logically. This should be done EVERY time there is a mix up caused by the airline or where circumstances are truly unforeseen.
And when should the gate agent have time to do this? Sometimes a flight goes off smoothly, but there are enough times when it's chaos enough as it is. Had a flight segment yesterday where the continuation was an international flight, there were 20 elites on the upgrade list for the domestic leg, another 30 people on the standby list, and then there was an equipment swap, so between tracking down the Japan-bound passengers for leg 2 that needs a passport check, monitoring the upgrade and standby lists to see who needs seat reassignment due to no-shows, another group of passengers who needed to rebooked for connection flight problem because they were going to miss their next flight from Detroit, and on top of it all trying to deal with another 20 passengers who had to be reassigned seats due to the equipment swap (two different 757 seat configurations- the computer was spitting out revised boarding passes for some people as they scanned their old ones at the gate because the swap was truly a late one) , and then trying to stay ahead of the cabin baggage issues you get with a full bird....

The GA's primary responsibility is to get the door to the aircraft closed on time. It's how they keep their job. There is already a very short time window they have to turn the plane and get everyone seated, and in many cases, there just isn't time to do much more.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:50 PM

1,170 posts, read 794,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
So not really a kid at all. I know that some airlines technically can call parents in different cabin than kids an unaccompanied minor situation and hit dad up with those fees accordingly.

And when should the gate agent have time to do this? Sometimes a flight goes off smoothly, but there are enough times when it's chaos enough as it is. Had a flight segment yesterday where the continuation was an international flight, there were 20 elites on the upgrade list for the domestic leg, another 30 people on the standby list, and then there was an equipment swap, so between tracking down the Japan-bound passengers for leg 2 that needs a passport check, monitoring the upgrade and standby lists to see who needs seat reassignment due to no-shows, another group of passengers who needed to rebooked for connection flight problem because they were going to miss their next flight from Detroit, and on top of it all trying to deal with another 20 passengers who had to be reassigned seats due to the equipment swap (two different 757 seat configurations- the computer was spitting out revised boarding passes for some people as they scanned their old ones at the gate because the swap was truly a late one) , and then trying to stay ahead of the cabin baggage issues you get with a full bird....

The GA's primary responsibility is to get the door to the aircraft closed on time. It's how they keep their job. There is already a very short time window they have to turn the plane and get everyone seated, and in many cases, there just isn't time to do much more.
First of all, that's not that common (and yes I travel ALOT), it does occur, but generally due to poor staffing. Most of what you describe can be done well prior to boarding. Fact is, it's the airline's job - not the role of a passenger put on the spot with a family lurking in the aisle.

Leaving it up to people swapping on the plane rarely speeds things up.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:44 AM

7,668 posts, read 4,136,069 times
If I am alone yes. No if its a business or economy plus seat or extra legroom.

I know from experience how annoying and stressful it is to be seated away from family so I would help with those conditions, just not with people trying to get a freebie like economy plus.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:03 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
He was definitely old enough that he could have traveled alone without an AM fee. The father was just being an ass to annoy the guy next to him who wouldn't change seats.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:07 AM

4,338 posts, read 2,263,069 times
On some airlines you have to pay extra for an aisle or window and even more for an exit row but some people will still board then ask you to do the uneven swap (i.e. middle for Aisle or Window).

I never agree to this in that situation.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:13 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,966,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I see very little reason other than disability for bigger kids (maybe 7+) to have to sit with a parent.
Fear. Who knows who your kid is going to be sitting next to. Most parent will want to be able to make sure their child is safe.
Helicopter parenting is an issue too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or