U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you switch seats so a family could sit together?
Yes I would move. 129 33.42%
Yes, but only if I could get a similar or better seat. 111 28.76%
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances. 119 30.83%
No I would not move. 27 6.99%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 06:33 AM

8,655 posts, read 19,115,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Assume that you are traveling alone, so that it doesn't matter who you are sitting next to. If the flight attendant told you that she is trying to seat a family together, would you move? If so, under what conditions?

No, I wouldn't move.

When I travel, and I travel a lot, I make a point of getting the seat I prefer. I'm not about to give up my row 12 aisle seat for a row 21 window seat.

I know that sounds rude, but why should I give up my seat, that I chose and paid for, so you can seat with your buddy?

When traveling with family we buy our tickets early and at the same time so we can get our seats together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 07:09 AM

7,668 posts, read 4,147,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
On some airlines you have to pay extra for an aisle or window and even more for an exit row but some people will still board then ask you to do the uneven swap (i.e. middle for Aisle or Window).

I never agree to this in that situation.
Why would you

Old 06-28-2015, 10:02 AM

5,707 posts, read 8,616,144 times
Frankly families who do not get seats together and then ask people to swap just annoy me. If you have children DO SOME PLANNING!!! Inconveniencing people because you were too lazy and indolent to put in some effort when planning your trip is bad form. Complaining about it when people do not switch per your liking is even worse form.

That said, I would switch if it were a window or an aisle not a middle. I feel claustrophobic in the middle seat so no, I am not going to ruin my flight so that you can have a good one. I plan carefully so that I can get a window or an aisle...if I somehow get stuck in the middle (which has happened perhaps once or twice in hundreds of flights I have taken) I just suck it up and deal with it. The concept that someone can just walk in at the last minute and command to have my carefully chosen window or aisle is just offensive, regardless of their reasons.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:01 PM

7 posts, read 5,504 times
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances.

I travel frequently for work, so I am usually solo, in the aisle seat, and towards the front of the plane. I don't like to switch seats. I'll trade like for like (an aisle seat within a few rows or on the opposite side). If it is a worse seat (way further back in the plane or a middle or window), I'll consider it but only if it is extenuating circumstances such as a mother and small child that are separated and the person is NICE about asking. A request like "I'm sorry but I am separated from my 3 year old, he is assigned to the seat next to you, will you switch with me? It would really help me out" yeah, I will. Come at me with an aggressive, entitled "I need your seat" and nope, not happening.

I will say that anyone who is considering switching and cares about where they are switching to should really REALLY ask to see the ticket of the person who they are considering switching with. Recently on a flight, I had the aisle seat, and I arrived to find a woman sitting there, feigning sleep, clinging desperately to her husband in the middle seat, using his shoulder as a pillow. He ordered me to sit in the window seat instead (yes ordered). Umm...thanks but no thanks. They begrudgingly shifted over to middle/window. The odd part was the husband quickly ordered the wife to put her head back down on his shoulder and go back to sleep. The reason was because a few minutes later a woman came down the aisle, SHE had the window seat. The husband had tried to switch the window seat for my aisle seat when the window wasn't even his. They had the middle seat of the row and the middle seat of the LAST row. The husband had such a fit that the other woman gave in and went back to the middle seat of the last row. As soon as we took off, the wife "woke up", no more clinging or sleeping for the rest of the flight. Odd.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:47 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,638,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Fear. Who knows who your kid is going to be sitting next to. Most parent will want to be able to make sure their child is safe.
Helicopter parenting is an issue too.
A child is in far more danger from a stronger going to school or day care each day.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDB View Post
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances.

I travel frequently for work, so I am usually solo, in the aisle seat, and towards the front of the plane. I don't like to switch seats. I'll trade like for like (an aisle seat within a few rows or on the opposite side). If it is a worse seat (way further back in the plane or a middle or window), I'll consider it but only if it is extenuating circumstances such as a mother and small child that are separated and the person is NICE about asking. A request like "I'm sorry but I am separated from my 3 year old, he is assigned to the seat next to you, will you switch with me? It would really help me out" yeah, I will. Come at me with an aggressive, entitled "I need your seat" and nope, not happening.
The problem with this is that she should be asking the person next to HER seat in the back of the bus if they would be willing to switch for the seat up front.

Quote:
I will say that anyone who is considering switching and cares about where they are switching to should really REALLY ask to see the ticket of the person who they are considering switching with. Recently on a flight, I had the aisle seat, and I arrived to find a woman sitting there, feigning sleep, clinging desperately to her husband in the middle seat, using his shoulder as a pillow. He ordered me to sit in the window seat instead (yes ordered). Umm...thanks but no thanks. They begrudgingly shifted over to middle/window. The odd part was the husband quickly ordered the wife to put her head back down on his shoulder and go back to sleep. The reason was because a few minutes later a woman came down the aisle, SHE had the window seat. The husband had tried to switch the window seat for my aisle seat when the window wasn't even his. They had the middle seat of the row and the middle seat of the LAST row. The husband had such a fit that the other woman gave in and went back to the middle seat of the last row. As soon as we took off, the wife "woke up", no more clinging or sleeping for the rest of the flight. Odd.
Wow. Those are the type of people who should just be banned from flying.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:54 PM

5 posts, read 2,594 times
As an experienced traveler, I would go so far as to say it is rude to refuse to switch seats. For those who say that families should plan better, you should understand travel better.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:17 PM

3,281 posts, read 3,136,749 times
Lightbulb I've seen FAs offer drink tickets to anybody willing to switch seats.

I was recently in first class on a relatively short domestic redeye flight, and traded seats with a man flying with his (6?) year old son who were seated apart from each other, but both also in first. They had both been upgraded, so were randomly given the only available seats. In that case, I was happy to trade, since I got a "better" seat in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinlee1007 View Post
As an experienced traveler, I would go so far as to say it is rude to refuse to switch seats. For those who say that families should plan better, you should understand travel better.
IMHO, Getting upgraded (see above), bumped or a plane swap is the only time when it isn't rude for families to ask people to switch seats. As an experienced and frequent traveler, I put thought into picking my seat, and whether through loyalty programs, advance purchase, or paying a premium, getting "better" seat (less uncomfortable, further from the engines/bathroom, etc) is not without cost.

So yes, families should plan better, choose flights that are less likely to sell out, or book mom a seat up in Business Class so they have a bartering chip when they need to trade.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:32 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,645,995 times
I would only move for a child or perhaps someone on their honeymoon. If I'm moving from a bad seat to a bad seat I would move just about no matter what. I do enjoy window and aisle seats, so those are conditional.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinlee1007 View Post
That's ridiculous. People choose seats for a reason, often paying extra for aisle or window seats in the front of the plane. If someone says no, it isn't rude, and the person asking should consider other options. There will always be other options if they actually open their brain long enough to consider them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or