U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you switch seats so a family could sit together?
Yes I would move. 129 33.42%
Yes, but only if I could get a similar or better seat. 111 28.76%
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances. 119 30.83%
No I would not move. 27 6.99%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 02:50 PM

5,271 posts, read 3,034,974 times

Advertisements

My wife and I prefer to sit across the aisle from each other. I am 6'2" and getting into window seats is a chore. Middle seats are "no way". Getting old doesn't help.

I used to fly a lot, now I hate it with a passion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 02:54 PM

21,210 posts, read 11,832,330 times
Generally yes, but only if it's a comparable seat. I'm not giving up my window seat for a middle.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:58 PM

11,746 posts, read 6,319,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
I would definitely switch.
I had to smile at those of you who said you wouldn't budge if the family in question was being obnoxious or anything - I personally wouldn't want to sit next to one of them! So yes, I'd leave them my seat and hopefully have a more pleasant travel companion.

As for "poor planning"... Some people travel in emergency, maybe to bury a parent. So they definitely can't plan ahead, and they may want to travel together because it helps them go through whatever they are going through. You never know why the other passengers are traveling.
Good point. But, depending on the situation, someone could very well still be sitting next to the obnoxious family anyway (i.e. in a 3 seat row where only 2 members of the same family want to sit next to each other). In those situations where the family is being unreasonably obnoxious, I'd request that the police be called on-board and that the family be removed; that seems to be happening more frequently nowadays if the news reports on the matter are any indication.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:07 PM

4,380 posts, read 3,628,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
For those who say that families should plan better, you should understand travel better. It is not always easy to get seats together, and many times the airline will switch seats so you don't always don't get the seat you thought you were going to get.
For our recent family reunion, my brother's seat was changed taking him away from my nephews. They are teens so they didn't need him to supervise but the gentleman seated with them did switch with my brother. They also changed his return flight. He really has weird luck with traveling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I was stunned that this couple was so desperate to spend the next hour fifteen sitting next to one another that she would be willing to give up her first class seat. But I certainly wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth.
I wonder if one of them was afraid of flying?

It would depend on the circumstances for me as well. A short flight would not be a big deal. But I have a bad knee and I'm a nervous flyer so for long flights, I need to be able to easily get up and stretch and get to the bathroom quickly if needed.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:10 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,424,691 times
I would for sure and have a number of times.

Also, I frequently travel with my fam of 5. We book ahead and select seats together, but at check-in we are frequently re-arranged. Not sure why they do this, but it is pretty annoying. I guess it probably is that people with higher status that book after get priority, even though we selected our seats. My favorite was when they moved us all to single seats, all 5 of us, and then we informed them that three of the travelers were under 5...good luck. they moved us back together after that.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:24 PM

309 posts, read 205,897 times
Sure I would. While I prefer window seats, it really does not make such a big difference. Most flights wil be over in a few hours anyway. Plus, I am not so self-absorbed as to not do a little kindness to a fellow traveller if he wants it so badly .

Old 06-09-2015, 03:36 PM

5,568 posts, read 8,917,184 times
I wouldn't have a problem as long it was a better or similar seat. I would not move to the back of the plane though. I am a big guy (6'6" and fatter than I want to be) so I have decided that I will only fly in either economy comfort or first class. If I was asked to move back to economy I would just laugh at them. Seriously.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:42 PM

1,444 posts, read 1,124,375 times
I switched seats so a young couple going on their honeymoon could sit together. I don't really care where I sit so I didn't have a problem changing. I would hope one day if I needed it someone would do it for me.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:54 PM

4,556 posts, read 5,480,125 times
Totally depends on who wants my seat and where they move me to.

There is a story out now about a woman who demanded a full can Coke to drink and made such a fuss, and then made statement which were not supported by the other passengers, that she got the flight attendant in trouble. No way would I have any consideration for someone that rude.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:55 PM

9,316 posts, read 9,251,378 times
Probably not, unless the alternative was pretty much the same thing. I've usually chosen the seat very carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or