Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you switch seats so a family could sit together?
Yes I would move. 129 33.42%
Yes, but only if I could get a similar or better seat. 111 28.76%
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances. 119 30.83%
No I would not move. 27 6.99%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 01:30 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,259,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinlee1007 View Post
As an experienced traveler, I would go so far as to say it is rude to refuse to switch seats. For those who say that families should plan better, you should understand travel better.
But what if you have paid for a higher standard of seat? To be honest the passenger who has the issue should really go to the flight attendant, I am sure they will sort the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 02:07 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinlee1007 View Post
As an experienced traveler, I would go so far as to say it is rude to refuse to switch seats. For those who say that families should plan better, you should understand travel better.
I frequently end up with sub-40 minute connection times for domestic routes. If you want to call me rude for refusing to give up a towards the front seat selected in the name of giving me a fighting chance for a bathroom break while going from Concourse T to the far fields of Concourse C terminal in Atlanta, so be it.

I'd see it as rude for a family to expect to switch seats in a way that would make it harder for me to reach my next gate on time. (On the flip side, I've got a rare four hour connection time today in the ATL, and was intentionally one of the last people off the plane- others had far tighter connections and I wasn't in a huge hurry to do my walking laps between terminals and have lunch)

Old 07-04-2015, 03:00 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
But what if you have paid for a higher standard of seat? To be honest the passenger who has the issue should really go to the flight attendant, I am sure they will sort the problem.
More often than not they will tell you to figure it out. They don't get paid until the cabin door closes and most of them do as little as possible as a result. And rightfully so.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:52 PM

Your right but I would advise the person to try the flight attendant first.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Your right but I would advise the person to try the flight attendant first.
You are wasting their time. Book the seat you want/need and if you have a LEGITIMATE need to sit together (assisting a disabled person or with a child under the age of six) ask the gate agent to intervene BEFORE people get on and get in their seats. I have been paged by the gate agent in the past and asked if I would change seats with someone. When I was getting the better seat or some financial renumeration and an acceptable seat I said yes. Otherwise I suggested they needed to find a different victim. The person who needs to be seated with another person can always deplane and take a later flight or different itinerary.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:37 AM

63 posts, read 52,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If it's small enough to get pushed to the back, why not just put it under the seat in front of you. I hope you are booking aisle seats so you aren't standing on a seat that the person behind you now has to sit on.
Jesus, you sound like a *****. Even if she is taking care of matters by standing on the seat, you are STILL complaining about it because someone has to sit in that seat. She shouldn't have to check a bag and pay extra fees just because she has to stand on someone's seat to get her back out of the carry-on compartment.

Stop being so damn uptight.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easilyjaded View Post
Jesus, you sound like a *****. Even if she is taking care of matters by standing on the seat, you are STILL complaining about it because someone has to sit in that seat. She shouldn't have to check a bag and pay extra fees just because she has to stand on someone's seat to get her back out of the carry-on compartment.

Lol... shes uptight with me aswell but i've learn't to ignore it. There are alot of nasty people on the internet.

It's a shame because we shouldn't have to listen to it for giving up free time.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easilyjaded View Post

I don't want someone with dirty shoes or smelly feet standing on the seat I'm about to occupy. It's rude and totally avoidable if she would either check a bag she can't stow without stepping on a seat or stowing it under the seat in front of her or booking that aisle seat she'll be standing on for herself so she can sit in her own mess.

It's unfortunate that you feel dirty feet on a seat are at all acceptable or hygienic. It's not uptight, it's a matter of common sense. I don't sit on floors for the same reason.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:27 AM

63 posts, read 52,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I don't want someone with dirty shoes or smelly feet standing on the seat I'm about to occupy. It's rude and totally avoidable if she would either check a bag she can't stow without stepping on a seat or stowing it under the seat in front of her or booking that aisle seat she'll be standing on for herself so she can sit in her own mess.

It's unfortunate that you feel dirty feet on a seat are at all acceptable or hygienic. It's not uptight, it's a matter of common sense. I don't sit on floors for the same reason.
So because I'm very short and couldn't get my carry-on in the bin above me, I should be forced to pay for my bag to be checked...?

Old 04-04-2017, 11:38 AM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Yes, I would and have. Several times when flying alone I've been next to someone whose family member is across the aisle or behind us. They are so grateful when I offer to change so they can sit together. So what if I don't get the aisle or window seat this time--big deal. It's a few hours out of my life and I'm still going to get to where I want to go.

I have three kids and while I've always been able to book our seats so no one sits alone, if I was unable to do this I would be equally grateful if someone offered to change with me. Pay it forward, good karma, just plain kindness--whatever you want to call it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel