U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you switch seats so a family could sit together?
Yes I would move. 129 33.42%
Yes, but only if I could get a similar or better seat. 111 28.76%
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances. 119 30.83%
No I would not move. 27 6.99%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 06:35 PM

285 posts, read 296,074 times

Advertisements

Not that you'd ask, but what if they're standbys from a previously cancelled flight? What if there was a plane change with a different seat arrangement? What if they booked last minute to visit a dying family member? I mean, I understand air travel is already a generally unpleasant experience with many only concerned about themselves and their travel companions at best, but just because a family is split up doesn't mean they're lazy bumpkins. I suppose unless it's a longer flight, I just don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 01:37 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
You can plan all you want. Sometimes your party gets broken up by the airline despite all of your efforts. It can be the result of delayed connections, overbooking or just a screw up, but it definitely happens and not all that infrequently. I have always obliged when asked and likewise, have been obliged when it was me making the request for my family to sit together.
Unless they have small children or very sick people to take care of, it is usually not *necessary* for them to sit next to each other in the first place.

A couple who lived together for 15 years had to be 5 meters away from each other on a closed plane for a few hours, what a nightmare!

Old 04-06-2017, 08:32 AM

431 posts, read 397,554 times
iT would depend on the situation i help folks if i can ,i board so i can sit on the isle seat .i have a health problem .. some passengers are down right rude i was on a flight 2 hours and a huge fat lady ((at least 350 lbs) boarded late and there was only middle seats left she come up to my isle and said YOU HAVE TO MOVE OVER SO I CAN SIT ON THE END and not even a smile. my reply, i dont HAVE to do anything. the cabin crew took her away to where i dont know and dont care, but i dont have time for rude folks who think the world belongs to them .

Old 04-06-2017, 09:12 AM

1,938 posts, read 937,464 times
I will exchange a window / aisle seat for another window or aisle. Never for a middle seat.

I will exchange for a middle seat only if I am already in a middle seat.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:32 PM

1,203 posts, read 705,628 times
If I had a seat with extra leg room I would not switch to a seat without, particularly if I had paid extra for the extra space.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:08 AM

3,603 posts, read 1,556,409 times
This thread and the thread about Syria missile strike shows how petty and mean people can be - whether clinging on to their own seat or own candidate. Both the cases they dont care about the other people's suffering.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:16 AM

3,279 posts, read 3,124,638 times
Question Should a family expect other travelers to change seats so they can sit together?

The pertinent question is the inverse -- Should a family expect strangers to give up their (often more desirable seats) so the family can sit together?

Somebody feeling charitable might choose to move to accommodate a family. However, I pay a premium for extra legroom (in price, and by purchasing early and checking in early). Don't ask me to give up my aisle seat and spend my first day at my destination hobbling around in pain just because mom wants to sit next to her middle schooler.

I've swapped seats to let other travelers to sit together, but only for equal or better seating. I am not going to sacrifice my physical health for the sake of a stranger's short-term emotional comfort.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:12 PM

1,203 posts, read 705,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
If I had a seat with extra leg room I would not switch to a seat without, particularly if I had paid extra for the extra space.
Just to be clear, in many cases, I would switch seats. I would be less likely to do it if it means us being separated. I'm old and tall and if I've found a way to land a seat that accommodates me better, I'd be liss likely to give it up. On a short flight, if I thought the other persons need was greater than mine, and no one else would switch, I might give up mine. It just depends.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:35 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,119,211 times
I would and I have.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:32 AM

837 posts, read 301,120 times
Small children need to be next their parents, if only for a 45 minute flight. So, yep I would switch seats, and ask for a free mixed drink. I would do the same for an elderly couple if they appear to have mobility issues. If any of these folks, act entitled, I wouldn't care. If I was obese or had mobility issues (naturally I wouldn't fly unless I had to), it'd have to be for a more accommodating seat for me to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or