U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you switch seats so a family could sit together?
Yes I would move. 129 33.42%
Yes, but only if I could get a similar or better seat. 111 28.76%
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances. 119 30.83%
No I would not move. 27 6.99%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 03:37 PM

490 posts, read 279,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I would move if the seat was similar or better. I would not take a middle seat or something further back. Families should be better prepared in purchasing seats for flights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I'd love to be the champion of the uber-polite. But with the headaches I've incurred over the years travelling by air, and the costs associated with the seats I purchased, and dealing with the typical airport BS - I'd be polite only if my move was at a minimum a lateral one. Meaning - aisle for aisle (my choice of seat), or upgrade to 1st class, or $$. Plus, if I booked to get a seat towards the front of the plane, not sure if I'd go all the way to the rear.

Call me cheap, call me rude. I'm just a middle-classed traveler who barely has money to travel in the first place these days, so I want what I purchased.
EX-actly.

It's not my job to fix your inability to plan ahead. I wouldn't even have the balls to ask someone to take a middle seat for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 04:02 PM

4,562 posts, read 4,107,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
. . . give her better seat to a young healthy male, among all other passengers, maybe because she is a small person? If I were there, I wouldn't have allowed that. That's just outrageous.
On the other hand, if your mother was small, she probably didn't really appreciate just how wonderful the knee room was and was going to be snoozing on the flight, anyway. What difference does it make what seat she snoozes in? If it were me, I was small, and it was a tall guy back in the cattle car looking at a 14 hour flight, I have to admit, I'd be tempted to let him have it. Both my husband and son are tall (over 6'3"), and they are miserable in a coach seat where they literally cannot sit without their knees being jammed against the seat in front of them. Unfolding themselves from a long flight like that is actually painful.

It was very sweet of you to make sure your mother had a choice seat.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:34 AM

8,047 posts, read 16,097,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
EX-actly.

It's not my job to fix your inability to plan ahead. I wouldn't even have the balls to ask someone to take a middle seat for me.
While I agree that most of the time, I wouldn't switch unless the seat was equal or better, I don't know that you can always blame it on "inability to plan ahead." To assume that's the reason the family doesn't have seats together is painting with broad brush strokes.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:07 PM

1,919 posts, read 967,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Only to one that was better, and if they offered to buy me a meal or a drink
If they for a moment started acting entitled I would shut down immediately and ignore them.

And I'm the guy who always offers to place or take down the heavy baggage to someone who looks like they might need assistance.

There was a similar thread here a way back about the agony that one might have to endure if you actually had a seat assignment not directly adjacent your spouse on a flight and how that might damage one's marriage or be a threat to the wife's safety and well being.

Give me a break! Sure it's nice to sit next to one another but to occasionally have to sit apart isn't gonna kill you.
There was nothing that would have delighted me any more than to NOT have to sit next to my late husband on a plane. God love him......he loved to see new places but he didn't enjoy getting there. He was hoping for teleportation....hell, we were all hoping for teleportation for him.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:49 PM

15,994 posts, read 6,300,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
EX-actly.

As we see from the recent viral videos concerning United, seating is not an exact science. Also sometimes they can switch equipment, resulting in a person not getting their expected seat.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:10 PM

11,043 posts, read 4,011,569 times
I think it's absolutely TERRIBLE when they split kids from their parents! I would give up my seat for that!

My husband and I were split on our way to our honeymoon, I thought that sucked since it was a 5 hour flight. I didn't ask if someone who switch but I should have!

Old 04-19-2017, 06:22 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,287,661 times
Need another answer.
No, cause I could not switch seats.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:23 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,287,661 times
Need another answer.
No, cause I could not switch seats; it would have been too big of a hassle for me and the flight crew.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:10 AM

3,919 posts, read 4,662,303 times
Last year, I traveled internationally as a companion to an older woman that has extreme short term memory loss. We ended up not being seated together for the 10 hour flight, which would NOT have been good.

Fortunately, the woman sitting next to her (in the middle seat) was willing to trade (to my aisle seat). Had she not, she would have had a miserable time on that flight talking with an elderly woman who asked the same questions every 5-10 minutes and told the same stories several times to boot.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:09 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,142,342 times
Talking Once I was asked by a airline employee if I would trade: I got both a better seat, and a handful of drink coupons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Fortunately, the woman sitting next to her (in the middle seat) was willing to trade (to my aisle seat)
That's the way you do it -- offer a more desirable seat in trade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or