U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you switch seats so a family could sit together?
Yes I would move. 129 33.42%
Yes, but only if I could get a similar or better seat. 111 28.76%
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances. 119 30.83%
No I would not move. 27 6.99%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 04:34 PM

2,901 posts, read 1,582,286 times

Advertisements

Once on a flight to Tokyo from NYC in business class, I had saved up FF miles & upgraded a coach fare for my vacation, a couple got on the plane well after everybody else had been in their seats before takeoff. I don't know if they just got upgraded or were running late or what, but I remember I was already well settled in to my aisle seat with a drink, & the aisle is definitely my seat of choice for movement & comfort.

Anyway once we took off the man, who as I recall was across the aisle from me & his partner was in the window seat in the row behind us, asked me politely if I wouldn't mind trading seats with his wife so they could be together. I considered it for a second or two but really didn't want to spend the next 14 hours cramped in the window seat after I had made sure months in advance to get an aisle on my annual vacation trip.

I told him "No, sorry..." & I could tell by the double take & look of utter surprise on his face that getting that answer hadn't even occurred to them. "Once we get on we'll just ask someone to switch with us." But he wasn't asking to trade equivalently.

I think he was eventually able to change his aisle seat with the person in the aisle seat behind me next to his wife, that should have been his first request- an aisle for an aisle, but some people don't realize what they are asking: A window seat isn't the equivalent of an aisle seat & a 14 hour flight to Asia isn't a 2 hour flight to the midwest where it wouldn't be as big a deal possibly. Sorry... but not really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 02:16 PM

2,111 posts, read 2,087,563 times
I was once asked to trade an isle seat in the last row of the plane (the one that doesn't recline) for the middle seat because some guy and his wife got on at the last minute and he claimed he was "claustrophobic". I was traveling with a friend seated on the isle seat across the isle so we could talk. He acted like I should just trade, but his tirade was more entitled than panicked about sitting I the center seat. He sat in the center seat and pouted the entire trip. To this day, I believe that was his "excuse" to get out of sitting in a middle seat.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:29 PM

831 posts, read 655,409 times
Sometimes.
The last two times I remember were ...
somebody in the last row of first class wanted to change with me. I had an aisle seat in row 4 or 5. Because of the hard bulkhead their seat only reclined about 50% of normal, and I said "no". The seat was empty when I checked in earlier so he was probably an upgrade and I had reserved my flight / seat a month or more ahead of time.

Earlier this year on a flight from Atlanta to Detroit I was in row three or four on an asile. The woman on the aisle in row 2, was flying back from Africa with a unset fracture (nobody wants to be worked on in a third world country), and could barely move without tremendous pain. The bitchy woman traveling on business who was in the window seat next to the broken leg lady complained so I switched seats with bitchy businesswoman and climbed over from row 1 into the row 2 window seat so that the broken leg woman wouldn't have to move. When we landed in Detroit I had to climb back over the seat in front of me as it was going to be quite a while before the ambulance crew would arrive with a stretcher or whatever they were going to use to cart the broken leg woman out of the plane.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:38 PM

8,000 posts, read 16,048,592 times
Just did it last weekend on an 11 hour flight from Istanbul to Boston. I had seat 6a (bulkhead window on the Turkish a330-200) and a woman with an infant had 6b. Her friend had the FA ask if I'd switch. I was hesitant because I picked this seat months ago because it's roomier and right up front. However. I didn't want to be with the infant for 11 hours and the friend had an aisle seat in an exit row further back so I did it. Fair trade as far as I'm concerned. The FA gave me a voucher for miles and a voucher for free wifi as well as a business class meal. Non of which I asked for. So it was a fair trade that turned into something even more beneficial.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:59 PM

21,159 posts, read 11,761,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
Sometimes.
The last two times I remember were ...
somebody in the last row of first class wanted to change with me. I had an aisle seat in row 4 or 5. Because of the hard bulkhead their seat only reclined about 50% of normal, and I said "no". The seat was empty when I checked in earlier so he was probably an upgrade and I had reserved my flight / seat a month or more ahead of time.

Earlier this year on a flight from Atlanta to Detroit I was in row three or four on an asile. The woman on the aisle in row 2, was flying back from Africa with a unset fracture (nobody wants to be worked on in a third world country), and could barely move without tremendous pain. The bitchy woman traveling on business who was in the window seat next to the broken leg lady complained so I switched seats with bitchy businesswoman and climbed over from row 1 into the row 2 window seat so that the broken leg woman wouldn't have to move. When we landed in Detroit I had to climb back over the seat in front of me as it was going to be quite a while before the ambulance crew would arrive with a stretcher or whatever they were going to use to cart the broken leg woman out of the plane.
thank you on behalf of humankind for your courtesy to that poor woman!

Old 05-04-2017, 06:00 PM

2,474 posts, read 903,597 times
I don't remember what airline it was, but several years ago this trio - father with son and daughter-in-law - boarded the plane late, and there were a few seats available but, of course, no empty rows. The father told the flight attend that he was "told that they could sit together" ~ either that was a big LIE or he was given a risky misassumption. So the flight attendant looked around and asked two people (not together) sitting in a row of three if they would be willing to switch. Both did move but one did so in a big huff and I didn't blame him, because he had the aisle seat.

It was likely a 1-1/2 to 2-hr flight, as most of mine are, so there was no NEED for them to sit together unless there was something that wasn't obvious to rest of us.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:40 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,878,890 times
No. I don't fly well so I need to be next to my travel partner. Sorry that they didn't plan it better like the rest of us

Old 05-05-2017, 09:15 AM

6,577 posts, read 3,631,003 times
I once got bumped on a Pacific crossing flight and ended up next to the latrine unable to recline the seat. If the very last space in aerial steerage wasn't used in such a way then I would eagerly volunteer. But since we are nothing but a liability to airlines once they have our money I will just hope that I am not the chosen sap the second time in my life

Old 05-05-2017, 10:30 AM

533 posts, read 471,116 times
Depends on the seat I have and the seat being offered. At 6'4, I always book aisle seats and I'm not moving to a middle seat because somebody booked their tickets too late to get the seats they needed.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:27 AM

27,284 posts, read 15,762,848 times
I wouldn't. I'm sorry but unless someone is hurt and needs the seat I'm in, it isn't worth it to change seats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or