U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you switch seats so a family could sit together?
Yes I would move. 129 33.42%
Yes, but only if I could get a similar or better seat. 111 28.76%
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances. 119 30.83%
No I would not move. 27 6.99%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 04:40 PM

1,100 posts, read 818,908 times

Advertisements

I have done it before and I will do in again. Usually end up with a poor seat. Oh well..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 04:53 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,782,978 times
I was on a trip to Europe a few years ago with my family, when I got my ticket info I went online and moved my seat so I didn't have to sit next to my family

I'd move if it was the same or better seat, but I'd also take into account who I'd be moving to sit with.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:41 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,670,639 times
For a mom/dad to sit with a child? Of course. For a couple to sit together? Probably not unless I were still getting an aisle seat.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:15 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,971,541 times
Only if there were kids involved or elderly people and one of them had a health condition...otherwise tough beans. You can wait a few hours to be by your sweetie.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:32 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,256,220 times
If the folks were entitled, no.

But recently a mom boarded with her two kids. They were all slated to sit in separate seats. The older kid, around ten took his seat like a champ but the younger kid 7 or 8ish ( I think), was holding onto his mom so tight and his eyes were welling up and you could tell he was trying to keep it together. Passengers all around were just staring at this family as the mom tried to encourage him to sit apart. My seatmate and I (a stranger) looked at each other and both volunteered our seats so they could sit together. You could tell that the mom didn't expect such a reaction and honestly - it was probably the kids first flight. I hope someone would give me a break if I ever ended up in a situation like that.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:01 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,101,972 times
I would. I've been on both sides.

We planned well in advance for our flight, chose our seats very carefully and with consideration toward the back away from business/first class etc, and the airline changed them with no rhyme or reason. They stuck us right up front near business class. and then gave some young woman the window seat, leaving my husband and I and our 13 month old son next to her, despite there being seats further back, and even another window seat, that she could have taken, or that we would have happily taken if they let us. She didn't want to move, said it wouldn't be an issue, blah blah and the airline wouldn't move us, either.

Halfway through the flight, she finally realized that her seat sucked being cramped next to us and a tired toddler and asked to be moved. I quite frankly didn't give a damn about anyone else on that flight at that point as we had tried and made every effort to not inconvenience anyone as a family and the airline completely screwed us.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:32 PM

13,168 posts, read 20,787,609 times
I will move so a parent and child can sit together, under most circumstances. If it's a flight longer than 2.5 hours or so, I would be very uncomfortable in a center seat, as I'm tall.

But I was in the situation once myself, when the airline switched our seats at check in. I was traveling with my 4 and 5 yr old sons at the time, and the 5 year old ended up 6 rows ahead of us, between two businessmen. The third person in our row refused to give up her window seat. Despite being assured at check in that it would be handled at the gate, it wasn't.
My son was actually fine, he had a bag full of things to entertain himself, but it made me more sympathetic to other parents who ran into the same problem.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:39 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,833,298 times
If it was a similar or better seat I would.

It's really the family's responsibility to make arrangements beforehand though. Talk to the ticket and gate agents. Be nice. They can and will probably move people around if the family is pleasant. Asking seated passengers to move is irresponsible and a last resort.

And really, if the flight is less than 3 hours and the kids are somewhat mature, the family will survive being seated 15 feet away from each other.

I've been on both sides of the coin.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:53 PM

6,156 posts, read 6,323,627 times
If it is a matter of swapping an aisle seat for a different aisle seat in the same cabin I would in a heartbeat. I really could care less if I am towards the front of the cabin or all the way in the back. I quit being in a hurry a long time ago. I probably would not swap an aisle seat for a middle or window seat as I do whatever it takes to get an aisle seat even if it means money out of my pocket.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:18 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,727,827 times
I fly only very rarely, like literally maybe a handful of round trips since the mid '80's. Back in the mid '80's I did once switch so a family could sit together. Didn't even really think about how the seats compared, but it wasn't an issue anyway. The plane was a regional jet, four seats across, so no middle seat. I just ended up switching one aisle seat for another on the other side and a few rows back on an all-coach flight. No big deal.

Except that it paid off in another way. The stewardess (as they used to be called) was attractive and friendly, and apparently saw some appeal in my willingness to move. It was about a 1-1/2 hour flight, and she was pretty much waiting on me hand and foot the entire flight, every moment she could break away from the other passengers. And, yeah, I got a date with her. So that was one time when niceness paid off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or