U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you switch seats so a family could sit together?
Yes I would move. 129 33.42%
Yes, but only if I could get a similar or better seat. 111 28.76%
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances. 119 30.83%
No I would not move. 27 6.99%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 03:11 AM

8,872 posts, read 13,552,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
... I have also been asked by flight attendants to have children sit next to me when they are unaccompanied by an adult. No idea why the kids were moved or why they selected me. Haven't had a problem with misbehavior so everything was good.
WOW, no way would I do that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 04:22 AM

10,424 posts, read 12,419,193 times
Yes, but only if I could get a similar (aisle) or better seat (business/front row economy).

Old 06-10-2015, 04:36 AM

7,136 posts, read 11,014,337 times
I've always accommodated people when they've asked me to switch seats, but this post is making me rethink it. I plan my travel far in advance, when possible, and I always pick my seat because I hate being stuck in the middle. Perhaps I need to be more aware of the whole switching process and take care of myself rather being so nice. Idk, it's something to consider.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:20 AM

2,441 posts, read 1,939,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Only to one that was better, and if they offered to buy me a meal or a drink
If they for a moment started acting entitled I would shut down immediately and ignore them.

And I'm the guy who always offers to place or take down the heavy baggage to someone who looks like they might need assistance.

There was a similar thread here a way back about the agony that one might have to endure if you actually had a seat assignment not directly adjacent your spouse on a flight and how that might damage one's marriage or be a threat to the wife's safety and well being.

Give me a break! Sure it's nice to sit next to one another but to occasionally have to sit apart isn't gonna kill you.
I hope you're on one of my flights soon! I'd absolutely leave some snacks and activities and such like with you becase I'll only need my magazine and eye mask, but don't forget - if they move around too much or make any noise everyone on the plane will hate you. Have fun! I'll be napping thirty rows away. I'll see you at landing.

What's that? It sucks spending the whole flight trying to keep a three year old quet and still? But you didn't want to change seats. Never mind, you'll only be responsible during takeff and landing. For the rest of the time I'll sit here with them on my lap and read to them. Excuse me, can I squeeze by? Where are you going?

Old 06-10-2015, 05:31 AM

2,441 posts, read 1,939,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I would for sure and have a number of times.

Also, I frequently travel with my fam of 5. We book ahead and select seats together, but at check-in we are frequently re-arranged. Not sure why they do this, but it is pretty annoying. I guess it probably is that people with higher status that book after get priority, even though we selected our seats. My favorite was when they moved us all to single seats, all 5 of us, and then we informed them that three of the travelers were under 5...good luck. they moved us back together after that.
I've had that happen and the airline (United of course) refused to do anything. I was in the process of imagining a child-free flight when the ladies behind me who'd booked window and aisle said they'd switch with us. I was kind of disappointed but you know I would have ended up standing in the aisle the whole flight. And I had a lap child too, so I have no idea what they would have done.

I'm surprised airlines allow it due to liability issues. It will only take one child being sexually assaulted and they'll be bankrupted. Especially on a long flight, in the dark with the blankets and sitting so close. And from a safety point of view, with choking and things for very young children. For the same reason hospitals require parents to stay with children it just makes sense to have that 1 on 1 supervision in a non child safe space.

But it amazes me that so many people would volunteer to babysit a stranger's child while flying. It's the absolute worst way to fly IMO (except maybe that one time I had gastro).

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Don't care if it's rude. I will not. Here's why.

Unlike most flyers, I am well prepared every time. This is because it's getting increasingly uncomfortable to fly. The airlines are doing everything in their power to scam hundreds out of you for simple choice. The only way to beat them is to do the least logical thing (in their mind).
[list][*]I book at least 3 weeks in advance if I can. If it's work travel I don't always have that luxury, mind.
I am dying laughing that you consider three weeks before you fly to be organised or in advance.

Last edited by WildColonialGirl; 06-10-2015 at 05:42 AM..

Old 06-10-2015, 05:45 AM

309 posts, read 205,600 times
This thread provides an interesting view into the mind of the average American: a whining, entitled, weak creature. Their ancestors once crossed the Atlantic in ships that sailed over for weeks, cramped to capacity, often suffering from storms and other adversities. The descendants of those people have a way to cross the Atlantic in just a few hours while sitting in comfortable seats and provided with food and entertainment. And they still whine and complain.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:26 AM

3,330 posts, read 2,125,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegendesLicht View Post
This thread provides an interesting view into the mind of the average American: a whining, entitled, weak creature. Their ancestors once crossed the Atlantic in ships that sailed over for weeks, cramped to capacity, often suffering from storms and other adversities. The descendants of those people have a way to cross the Atlantic in just a few hours while sitting in comfortable seats and provided with food and entertainment. And they still whine and complain.
Gee thanks...really dramatic.........anyway...Yes ...I have switched seats......we never pay to sit together my husband and I ..1. Because the airport we fly out if is not a hub and our fees are already more than many just for the ticket..and 2. I don't have to sit next to him to have a nice flight experience...even the middle....

Old 06-10-2015, 06:31 AM

5,162 posts, read 9,732,518 times
No. Your lack of planing does not constitute an emergency on my part

Old 06-10-2015, 07:12 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,835,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Get real. He doesnt have to put himself in anybodys shoes. Just pay for his own ticket and sit in the seat he paid for, and be a law abiding citizen. Reminds me of girls who have no business getting pregnant, and then they are on the subway with these huge strollers expecting Joe Public to help them up & and down.
NOPE. You deal with the bed you made
And THIS is what's wrong with the world today.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:13 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,835,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
We always purchase seats together, does everyone not do this?
It's not always possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or