U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you switch seats so a family could sit together?
Yes I would move. 129 33.42%
Yes, but only if I could get a similar or better seat. 111 28.76%
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances. 119 30.83%
No I would not move. 27 6.99%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 07:16 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,830,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
No. Your lack of planing does not constitute an emergency on my part
Yeah, they're real aholes for not planning Nana's death in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 08:04 AM

1,170 posts, read 794,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
By planning better, people traveling together can sit close to each other. I certainly won't be guilt tripped into being even more polite than I normally aim to accommodate someone who books their flight so late that they can't sit with family member/friend. Sure, I will consider changing, but I sure as hell ain't going to feel obligated to do so. I book early enough so that I can strategically select my preferred seat - so, I'm not in the mood to play musical chairs with those who don't know how to plan a family trip.
I used to think this, but had two separate flights with my young daughters (7 and9) where we didn't. I always book seats in advance but once we were on an award flight and couldn't get online check in, another our flight was cancelled and we were moved to another flight.

Just a reminder that it's not always a failure to plan ahead

Old 06-10-2015, 08:04 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
reading this I couldn't help wondering: why do so many people loathe the idea of sitting in the back of the plane? Does it make a difference?

If you are taking a short flight, the plane is likely small and it doesn't really make a huge difference in terms the time you get off ... 2 or 3 minutes?

If you are flying international/cross Ocean, what's another 5 or 6 minutes compared with the 10+ hours you have already endured?

I just took a 14 hour flight last month and deliberately chose row 43 out of a total of 44. It is actually much quieter in the back as everyone prefers to sit in the front, so there is more empty seats toward the back, and chances you have an empty seat beside you is much higher. There was one time I had 3 seats just to myself, so I could comfortably lie down to sleep! Won't happen for row 12, will it? Also airline staff are more likely to put passengers with babies in the front, so I will be far from them as well. For a long haul, you have no freedom to walk around without worrying about getting in the face of other passengers (as the case with front seats).

So unless it is an exit row, I really don't have a preference for front seats - it is not be bus where back seats are bumpier.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:06 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,618,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Assume that you are traveling alone, so that it doesn't matter who you are sitting next to. If the flight attendant told you that she is trying to seat a family together, would you move? If so, under what conditions?
To be honest with you, to split up a family on an airplane is SHAMEFUL and INSULTING.
Airlines are a miserable business.

Yes, I would move.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:16 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,220,455 times
I have done both... Every situation is a bit different and of course my current mood has a lot to do with it. I remember once I was sitting on a window seat and a little girl sat in the middle, she had a terrified look on her face and her mom just said it would be ok.. I am only few seats away.. she didn't even ask, but i swapped with her and of course i got a middle seat!

Another time i had a young gal ask me to switch my window seat with her boyfriends middle seat and I politely declined..

I have also been on the other side of the table.. once i was flying with my twins (infants) and my young son. We had the first 2 seats in the front and last 2 seats in the back. (we were standby and got the only seats left). I strapped my twins (car seats) into the front seats and asked the couple right behind them if they minded swapping seats with me.. They declined because my seats were way in the back so I said, OK>>> holler if you need me and starting walking to the back.. before i got a few steps away, several couples around us agreed to swap and once I had better seats, the couple right behind my twins then swapped with me..

In the end, I would swap seats every time to prevent a frightened young child from sitting away from their parents regardless of where I had to move to..

Old 06-10-2015, 08:28 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,417,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I have done both... Every situation is a bit different and of course my current mood has a lot to do with it. I remember once I was sitting on a window seat and a little girl sat in the middle, she had a terrified look on her face and her mom just said it would be ok.. I am only few seats away.. she didn't even ask, but i swapped with her and of course i got a middle seat!

Another time i had a young gal ask me to switch my window seat with her boyfriends middle seat and I politely declined..

I have also been on the other side of the table.. once i was flying with my twins (infants) and my young son. We had the first 2 seats in the front and last 2 seats in the back. (we were standby and got the only seats left). I strapped my twins (car seats) into the front seats and asked the couple right behind them if they minded swapping seats with me.. They declined because my seats were way in the back so I said, OK>>> holler if you need me and starting walking to the back.. before i got a few steps away, several couples around us agreed to swap and once I had better seats, the couple right behind my twins then swapped with me..

In the end, I would swap seats every time to prevent a frightened young child from sitting away from their parents regardless of where I had to move to..
You should have asked someone in the back if they wanted to move tot he front.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:37 AM

5,654 posts, read 3,638,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Guy says, "I have a family who wants to sit next to each other. Would you mind trading?"
I said, "First class?"
Guy said, "no."
I said, "then no."

End of discussion. Family was distraught, but too bad. They should have planned better, AND the airline should be the one doing whatever it took to accommodate them. Bump me up to first class and eat it so you can make that poorly planned family happy. I won't throw away my hours without getting something substantial in return.
If you want to keep the seat you planned for, that's your prerogative. But I wish you would shift your focus away from yourself long enough to realize that there are a number of potential reasons why this family didn't have seats together. For example:

- They reserved their seats together months ago, but then the airline capriciously switched them so they could let some self-important Gold Platinum Preferred businessman sit there instead.

- They booked their seats together, but then the airline did an unscheduled equipment change to a plane with a different seating configuration, which threw off the seat-selection process.

- They're traveling on short notice due to a family emergency, such as a relative passing away.

- They left home plenty early, but then Baby took a huge dump and soiled his clothes, and they had to stop and clean up the mess. (If this has never happened to you, count your blessings. Don't ask me how I know.) So by the time they got to the airport, their pre-assigned seats were canceled and they were given whatever was left over.

- Their first flight was late and so they missed their connection, and were instead rebooked onto your flight, and given whatever seats were left over.

- They are inexperienced travelers and didn't know how the seat-selection process works. (I'll concede that this would be kind of their fault, but can't you have any compassion for a newbie?)

But yeah, you just go right ahead and assume that it must have been poor planning on their part, and make yourself nice and comfy in your special seat that you picked out way in advance, while some poor kids nearby are upset that they're not near their Mommy and Daddy. Hope you enjoy your flight.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:40 AM

5,654 posts, read 3,638,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Parents everywhere are very grateful for people like you. I mean that with total sincerity. And as I believe in the "what goes around comes around" principle, I believe that you will be rewarded for your kindness, in some way or another.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:41 AM

2,639 posts, read 5,215,614 times
*cracks knuckles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Sometimes the responsibility falls on YOU to be nice to someone. Put yourself in their shoes. Would you want to be separated from your kids on a flight?
First of all, I don't have kids.

Second of all, if I DID have kids, I would purposely purchase seats next to them. That's called planning.

See, the problem with a lot of these families is that they shoot for the cheapest ticket they can get on the scum airlines. Those airlines throw you wherever they please. That's easy to avoid: buy a refundable ticket (I'm targeting Alaska because they're NOTORIOUS for this), which allows you to pick any seat, make sure your airline has seats available next to each other or pick another airline (if Alaska is booked up, go with JetBlue, or Southwest, or American, or Delta, or *shudder* United), and then make sure to explicitly choose the seats online or through a phone rep. It's not rocket science. It swallows, but it's necessary.

If you're just going to pick the dirt cheap tickets then deal with the cards the airlines gave you and blame THEM, not me. Chances are I paid over $600 for my seat (the usual going refundable ticket rate), so why would I give it to someone who paid $200? That's wasting money. No amount of kindness is worth me throwing money away.

Quote:
Should a CHILD have to suffer from not being able to sit with their family just because an ADULT won't move?
Should a CHILD have to suffer from not being able to sit with their family just because their ADULT parents refused to pony up the extra money and do the proper planning and seat selection necessary to sit together?

Should a CHILD have to suffer from not being able to sit with their family just because airlines are greedy and will throw you in any random seat if you don't pay their extortion rates?

No. It's not the child's fault. It's the airlines (for being greedy) and the parents (for being cheap).

This is reality. This is economy. This is capitalism. I don't make the rules, I play by them despite not liking them.

Quote:
And plus, as an earlier poster said, what if there was an emergency and there was no time to plan?
There's ALWAYS time to plan. Again, if the airline you pick does not have seats next to each other available when you book the flight, pick a different airline. One of them will have seats next to each other.

The problem is, they don't want to sit in the back, they don't want to pay extra money and they don't want to fly other airlines. They don't have the right to be picky if they're not willing to pay for that pickiness.

You have ONE priority: sit together even if it means paying more money or flying a different airline or sitting in the far back of the plane; or don't sit together and be cheap, knowing that the airlines will throw you wherever they please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
We always purchase seats together, does everyone not do this?
No. I'll tell you what people do.
  • They refuse to fly any other airline than "their" airline (up here it's almost always Alaska).
  • They refuse to pay the refundable rate which is almost always 3x the low ticket rate. The refundable rate essentially lets you pick any seat on the plane in advance, except First Class. If you don't pick refundable you only get to select a seat rear of the wing; which are always full on Alaska. ALWAYS.
  • Come the day of the flight, they go up to the counter and whine that their kids were tossed to the back of the plane and they want to sit together (disregarding that they could have done this themselves by simply paying the refundable rate for every ticket).
  • The counter sends out a PA asking for volunteers to change seats. Often they'll just target whoever's near Mom. But they won't offer you a First Class upgrade or anything. So if you paid the refundable rate of $600 they won't credit you back if they move you to a poor seat. They won't bump you to First Class for free, which would compensate you for the inconvenience of that family's poor planning. If you paid the low rate and got situated behind the wing, there are often no other seats available for you except a middle seat, which nobody wants. It's a lose-lose.
Again, it's all about planning in advance and making sure that you pay whatever the airline requires of you, extortion though it be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I've always accommodated people when they've asked me to switch seats, but this post is making me rethink it. I plan my travel far in advance, when possible, and I always pick my seat because I hate being stuck in the middle. Perhaps I need to be more aware of the whole switching process and take care of myself rather being so nice. Idk, it's something to consider.
There's a big difference between common courtesy (the idea that you do something to help someone else without putting yourself out) and shortchanging yourself (the idea that you put yourself in the negative for someone else who could have done something to avoid it but chose not to).

I'm in the school of thought that, if I know for a fact you could have done the same thing I did but chose not to, you're effectively trying to cheat/cut the line. No different than people who board during the First Class call knowing full well they're in Economy. No. I don't allow it. If I did the due diligence and I know you could have, too, I won't allow it.

That's not the same as, say we're on the plane and I'm sitting next to someone who's short or petite, or elderly, or a kid. I'll gladly, since I'm in the aisle anyway, offer to get their bag down for them. In fact, I'll get as many bags down as I can for those immediately in front of me and in the adjacent aisle. This is because it helps us get off the plane faster and I'm strong enough to do it. That's common courtesy. No problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
I am dying laughing that you consider three weeks before you fly to be organised or in advance.
What part of "at least 3 weeks" didn't translate to you?

In any event, on most airlines not going to New York, 3 weeks is the minimum needed to ensure I get the seat I want. The only exception to that would be United, but I don't fly them unless I have no other choice. So far I haven't needed to fly them but once since they ate up Continental (which used to be my airline of choice) and it was like sitting in a sardine can.

I've booked flights two weeks ahead on, say, JetBlue and managed to get an Even More Space seat in row 2, headed to Boston. But that's because that destination is uncommon from Seattle. Compared to the trip from Seattle to Orlando where it was a struggle getting a seat near the front of the plane; but American had what I needed.

Some people need to separate personal travel from business travel. They're not the same thing. In a business travel situation advance notice is often a luxury and not a requirement.

Quote:

- They reserved their seats together months ago, but then the airline capriciously switched them so they could let some self-important Gold Platinum Preferred businessman sit there instead.
This doesn't happen in Economy or Refundable and you know it. Strawman argument.

Quote:
- They booked their seats together, but then the airline did an unscheduled equipment change to a plane with a different seating configuration, which threw off the seat-selection process.
Advance notice is always given of any change in the plane. In 20+ years of flying I have never had this type of thing happen. Doesn't mean it doesn't, but it's so rare it doesn't matter anyway. They tell you it happened and what happened; and if you paid for the proper seat, you still can re-situate yourself.

Quote:
- They're traveling on short notice due to a family emergency, such as a relative passing away.
Yeah, all those Mickey Mouse balloons and Shamu stuffed animals are certainly key to getting over that loss.

Quote:
- They left home plenty early, but then Baby took a huge dump and soiled his clothes, and they had to stop and clean up the mess. (If this has never happened to you, count your blessings. Don't ask me how I know.) So by the time they got to the airport, their pre-assigned seats were canceled and they were given whatever was left over.
This is bad planning. Again, you are instructed to get to the airport EARLY. Yes, that means you're sitting there bored as all what for X hours. Those are the breaks. I'm often 2 hours early every time because of such unknowns.

The airports all have a baby care section in the bathrooms for these events. Get there early, and deal with it.

Quote:
- Their first flight was late and so they missed their connection, and were instead rebooked onto your flight, and given whatever seats were left over.
The key there is "whatever seats were left over". That's fine - but then you take what you're given. That is not a free pass for me to get shortchanged.

Now, if I paid the low rate only and were sitting in the back of the plane (which would never happen for me, but just as an example) it's less of an issue. But if I paid $600 and they paid $200, I am not moving unless the airline offers to move me to First Class as compensation. That's only fair - otherwise I'm giving money away. No different than handing some bum $400 for no reason. That's not how I operate.

Quote:
- They are inexperienced travelers and didn't know how the seat-selection process works. (I'll concede that this would be kind of their fault, but can't you have any compassion for a newbie?)
Here's the funny thing. Inexperienced - say even young - travelers are actually less prone to doing this because they're up to date with mobile apps and websites and self service. So they understand the scam that is. They'll just pay the extra money. I've seen it firsthand. Plenty of younger sorts sitting in First Class to avoid the nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
reading this I couldn't help wondering: why do so many people loathe the idea of sitting in the back of the plane? Does it make a difference?
Yes, it does. Try 20 minutes extra minimum. People take FOREVER to get their bag and leave. When you're a business traveler on a clock there's no time for that nonsense. Especially if you're due to check in at a hotel or get a rental car where they charge you if you're X minutes late, or if it's an evening flight and you're getting close to midnight (where you'd get charged an extra day).

This wouldn't be an issue if the airlines would allow disembarking from all exits. Still not clear why airports have not yet been equipped for this. Yes, there's a cost, but there's a benefit - faster disembark = faster departures = more flights = more money in a day.

Last edited by revelated; 06-10-2015 at 08:59 AM..

Old 06-10-2015, 08:46 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,220,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
You should have asked someone in the back if they wanted to move tot he front.
Yes, i could have done that and no doubt someone in the back would have moved to the front.. hindsight, i guess!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or