U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you switch seats so a family could sit together?
Yes I would move. 129 33.42%
Yes, but only if I could get a similar or better seat. 111 28.76%
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances. 119 30.83%
No I would not move. 27 6.99%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 10:42 AM

894 posts, read 702,900 times

Advertisements

I voted "I would consider it, depending upon circumstances" because there are times when I wouldn't. But, probably 95% of the time, I would.

I'm not a traveler in a hurry. I'm usually traveling for family or fun, and I don't care if I don't get off the plane in the first rush. If I'm by myself, I'm going to be reading or sleeping, and I can do that anywhere. I don't care where I sit.

My last flight occurred at a time when I had a medical condition that required frequent trips to the bathroom, so I wouldn't have switched for anything but another aisle seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 10:47 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If the phrase "37 minute connection time in Atlanta" (aka the world's busiest airport) doesn't strike fear in your heart, then you have had a charmed flying experience. Even on an RJ, those extra three minutes make a difference if you're trying to get from like A to E terminal, and that's assuming your first flight actually arrives on time and there are no technical issues. I've had a couple of flights where we've had to wait ten minutes to deplane due to jet bridge issues.
True but I doubt that applies in most cases.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:49 AM

894 posts, read 702,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I would for sure and have a number of times.

Also, I frequently travel with my fam of 5. We book ahead and select seats together, but at check-in we are frequently re-arranged. Not sure why they do this, but it is pretty annoying. I guess it probably is that people with higher status that book after get priority, even though we selected our seats. My favorite was when they moved us all to single seats, all 5 of us, and then we informed them that three of the travelers were under 5...good luck. they moved us back together after that.
I've had this exact scenario occur (United) and I had three kids with me, ages 6, 3, and infant. The baby and I were seated together, but the older two were sent elsewhere. I got the 3-year old seated with us, with minimal fuss, but they couldn't figure out how to get the 6-year old with us. I didn't really care that much, honestly. It was a daytime flight, only 2.5 hours, and she was a good reader. I could see her from where I was sitting. She was not afraid, and settled in between two businessmen with her bag of toys and books. I saw her chatting with the one by the window, for much of the flight. He looked amused. The guy on the other side of her did not.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:50 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Yes, i could have done that and no doubt someone in the back would have moved to the front.. hindsight, i guess!
Yes.

People asking for a different seat should always keep in mind that you should switch your good seat (front row, exit row, isle etc) for a worse one (back, middle). The fact most people's instinct is to switch for a better one and expects others to agree baffles me.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:00 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,669,241 times
I guess if someone wouldn't switch and I had a young child, they'd be the one dealing with the crying, snotty, possibly vomiting kid... So while I wouldn't be happy about it, I'd likely advise them to keep an airsick bag handy and to sing "wheels on the bus" over and over until he stops crying... good luck!

My guess is that the passenger would decide to switch after all, principles be damned.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:46 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,495,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I won't help people with luggage. if they can't put it into the overhead on their own, or don't have a traveling companion to take care of it, they need to check it. I'm not going to risk injuring myself because someone chooses to pack their rock collection in their carry on.
I agree. God forbid you get injured, this person isn't going to pay for your injuries.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:50 AM

56 posts, read 50,941 times
I also voted that it depends on the circumstances. Honestly there are things out of your control and the airline can screw up things for families sometimes. So I dont blame them for that. However, you should do your due diligence before any type of travel. If your on a flight that has pre booked seats, make sure you are all sitting together or at least close. If you are on a flight thatis a "pick" your own seat, then know what it is like and pay the extra $$ to get earlier seating so those problems dont happen.

As stated I would move depending on the circumstances, however, just because I'm traveling alone it doesnt mean your incompetence and lack of planning should be a priority over my comfort.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:01 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,221,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Yes.

People asking for a different seat should always keep in mind that you should switch your good seat (front row, exit row, isle etc) for a worse one (back, middle). The fact most people's instinct is to switch for a better one and expects others to agree baffles me.
Agreed, but to be honest... I wasn't thinking about much at all. They were rushing us on as we were the last to board (standby). It was one of those small commuters, crowded and I was lugging two infants in car seats.. not fun but i managed. Besides, I figured Karma owed me one for giving up my window seat for that little girls mom (middle seat) years ago..

Old 06-10-2015, 12:32 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,418,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbucci24 View Post
...just because I'm traveling alone it doesnt mean your incompetence and lack of planning should be a priority over my comfort.
This seems to be the common misconception among those that will not move, that groups have control over their seating assignments. I would say my family is moved more often than not from the original seats we selected together.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:52 PM

3,279 posts, read 3,126,005 times
Lightbulb Personally, I'd pay extra for a flight that forbade children entirely.

Quote:
A secondary advantage of exit row seating, no lap babies, no kids under 15 permitted to sit in an exit row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or