Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you switch seats so a family could sit together?
Yes I would move. 129 33.42%
Yes, but only if I could get a similar or better seat. 111 28.76%
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances. 119 30.83%
No I would not move. 27 6.99%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 05:31 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Not sure where you get your information, but on many if not most carriers (US domestic and International), you couldn't be more wrong about the allocation of bulkhead seats. The only time infants (not "lap babies" on most airlines get priority for bulkheads is when they are charged for a bassinette.

There isn't a single US based carrier that charges for a lap baby. So no, unless you are flying on some--not all-international carrier, you aren't paying extra.
Whoops, shoulda checked your facts there. All US based carriers charge for lap babies on international flights. There is no charge for a bassinette. It's a courtesy of the airline because they know holding a small baby for the whole flight sucks, esp in turbulence.

If there's no priority for bulkhead seats for lap babies in planes without basinnettes, then whybhave ozgal and I both had the experience of getting premium seats when we didn't pay for them, on legs of journeys that included bassinettes?

I think I've sat next to you. JFK to Dublin, 2008-9 ish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 06:14 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
An airline switched my seats without notice because some sort of preferred customer wanted my seat. This man was at the very back because for some reason his first flight didn't make it on time for his connecting flight so he was shoehorned onto this one. This flight was the last one for the night for this route apparently. Even though I was a frequent customer myself, there I was switched all because this douche flexed his muscles and said he wanted my seat. My seat was on the very front but I was moved about 6 rows back.

Anyways this woman came up to me begging switch seats with me as I ended up in the aisle seat next to her husband and 6 month old. The woman was pleading because the airline screwed her because the man was put at the very back as the last row were the only seats left. The man was switched with the woman putting her at the back.

This guy jumped twice from the very front to the very back. He must know somebody in corporate but anyways she asked if I would go to the back. I told her no at first as I still want to get off the plane at a reasonable time. She asked again (begged really) and in her plea she mentioned she didn't want to sit by herself in the row with her 6 month old up here.

So I changed my answer to F*** yeah (a row by yourself on an international flight is priceless). The best part was the husband told the flight attendant to let me get any drink I like on his dime and gave her his card. I never got so hammered in my life and I passed out after dinner. I slept like a baby with a row all to myself. Sure I had to wait 20 minutes to finally get off but it was the best flight I ever had.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:41 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
This guy jumped twice from the very front to the very back. He must know somebody in corporate but anyways she asked if I would go to the back. I told her no at first as I still want to get off the plane at a reasonable time. She asked again (begged really) and in her plea she mentioned she didn't want to sit by herself in the row with her 6 month old up here.

So I changed my answer to F*** yeah (a row by yourself on an international flight is priceless). The best part was the husband told the flight attendant to let me get any drink I like on his dime and gave her his card. I never got so hammered in my life and I passed out after dinner. I slept like a baby with a row all to myself. Sure I had to wait 20 minutes to finally get off but it was the best flight I ever had.
If she had an empty row, why on earth didn't her husband and baby move back there??

Old 06-12-2015, 08:24 PM

104 posts, read 111,174 times
i need an ailse seat because of claustrophobia and I would only if I could get another ailse seat.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:37 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
If she had an empty row, why on earth didn't her husband and baby move back there??
Dunno

Old 06-12-2015, 10:34 PM

424 posts, read 381,438 times
I would definitely move for them, my family traveled a lot when I was a child, and it was always stressful finding seats together....

Old 06-13-2015, 05:40 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
I have flown a lot, and my husband flies weekly, and I find it remarkable that you happened to actually witness a family get booted off because NO ONE on the ENTIRE plane would switch seats with them. Unbelievable. I bet you were super-super sad
I hope you never find yourself in a situation where, despite your best efforts, unexpected challenges arise and you need to ask for help from the people around you, and they interrogate before deciding if you're worthy of receiving help. I can't imagine living in your world
Clearly you do not fly often. I don't fly a great deal but can tell you as someone who is single and flies alone, (and who always springs for the "premium seating" with extra legroom and priority boarding, usually an extra $30 or so) that at least half the time I have been asked to move to accommodate "families traveling together"...which pretty much always results in a loss of said $30 without any form of reimbursement other than the good deed aspect which has worn out it's welcome in this instance.

Sorry but this just in....single individuals aren't of secondary priority to families and are not to be expected to forfeit financially to accommodate your family or situation, since thanks we already do so via higher income taxes. I truly do not get the entitlement some adults/parents feel over other adults, and don't get me started when it comes to the workplace which is a whole other topic and thread.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:16 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Clearly you do not fly often. I don't fly a great deal but can tell you as someone who is single and flies alone, (and who always springs for the "premium seating" with extra legroom and priority boarding, usually an extra $30 or so) that at least half the time I have been asked to move to accommodate "families traveling together"...which pretty much always results in a loss of said $30 without any form of reimbursement other than the good deed aspect which has worn out it's welcome in this instance.

Sorry but this just in....single individuals aren't of secondary priority to families and are not to be expected to forfeit financially to accommodate your family or situation, since thanks we already do so via higher income taxes. I truly do not get the entitlement some adults/parents feel over other adults, and don't get me started when it comes to the workplace which is a whole other topic and thread.
Like I said, thanks very much for minding my toddler while I live the dream twenty rows away.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:48 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
*looks at kyle's location and guesses a home airport*

Orlando/MCO is a Results Not Typical airport in that regard- a disproportionate number of families who fly infrequently who are off to see the giant rat on holiday and who have that 'I'm on vacation- everything good and whatever I need is supposed to just magically happen' assumption going on.

It's a highly competitive airport from a fares and airline options standpoint, but in terms of fellow passengers, if I was going to be on a long trip anyways, I'd probably look into flying out of Tampa or Melbourne to try to get around the Disney crowd.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:32 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
*looks at kyle's location and guesses a home airport*

Orlando/MCO is a Results Not Typical airport in that regard- a disproportionate number of families who fly infrequently who are off to see the giant rat on holiday and who have that 'I'm on vacation- everything good and whatever I need is supposed to just magically happen' assumption going on.

It's a highly competitive airport from a fares and airline options standpoint, but in terms of fellow passengers, if I was going to be on a long trip anyways, I'd probably look into flying out of Tampa or Melbourne to try to get around the Disney crowd.
Exactly....I avoid MCO like the plague as a result and utilize Daytona Beach whenever possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel