Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you switch seats so a family could sit together?
Yes I would move. 129 33.42%
Yes, but only if I could get a similar or better seat. 111 28.76%
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances. 119 30.83%
No I would not move. 27 6.99%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 09:32 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times

Advertisements

This happens to me all the time. Today's airlines often charge more for aisle and window seats and people who book late or don't pay then try to rearrange their seating. I have actually had people ask me what circumstances will prompt me to change seats (like aisle seat for window seat) and then go arrange those circumstances and ask me to move- I find that behavior quite rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 10:48 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
Don't care if it's rude. I will not. Here's why.

Unlike most flyers, I am well prepared every time. This is because it's getting increasingly uncomfortable to fly. The airlines are doing everything in their power to scam hundreds out of you for simple choice. The only way to beat them is to do the least logical thing (in their mind).
  • I book at least 3 weeks in advance if I can. If it's work travel I don't always have that luxury, mind.
  • I ALWAYS select an aisle seat. Period. Middle is unacceptable, window is unacceptable. This is because I am fast to get up when the plane lands, and most people just take their sweet time. I don't have time for that.
  • I ALWAYS select a seat that's ahead of the wing. I don't care beyond that. This is because, again, I am purposely trying to get off the plane as fast as possible.
  • If I can get first class, I'll usually take it, especially if it's not that much or if a mileage upgrade is available. This is because, when there's two seats, it's easier to manage than three. More elbow room, more space, more peace. (except that one time some guy, his wife and screaming child decided to eat up three of the four seats on the aisle in front of mine rather than take three seats in economy.)
  • If the airline I want to take doesn't have a good return seat, I'll book a one way on one airline and a one way return on another airline that does have the seat I want.
  • If an airport is a hub for an airline I'll favor that airline despite it not being my primary. (Lesson learned: Flying out of Boston requires JetBlue for sanity sake.)
I mean I spend HOURS getting the right setup. HOURS. Every time. The only exception would be if it's a short hop flight, like if I'm flying from Washington to Oregon or something. I still do the above but I don't get picky about first class or anything.

I had a prime seat, 7th row aisle, on one trip. I believe I was on my way back from Cleveland to Washington State. Got an overhead call to come up to counter.

Guy says, "I have a family who wants to sit next to each other. Would you mind trading?"
I said, "First class?"
Guy said, "no."
I said, "then no."

End of discussion. Family was distraught, but too bad. They should have planned better, AND the airline should be the one doing whatever it took to accommodate them. Bump me up to first class and eat it so you can make that poorly planned family happy. I won't throw away my hours without getting something substantial in return.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:21 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
Absolutely, without a second thought.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Guy says, "I have a family who wants to sit next to each other. Would you mind trading?"
I said, "First class?"
Guy said, "no."
I said, "then no."

End of discussion. Family was distraught, but too bad. They should have planned better, AND the airline should be the one doing whatever it took to accommodate them. Bump me up to first class and eat it so you can make that poorly planned family happy. I won't throw away my hours without getting something substantial in return.
Sometimes the responsibility falls on YOU to be nice to someone. Put yourself in their shoes. Would you want to be separated from your kids on a flight?

Old 06-10-2015, 01:04 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Sometimes the responsibility falls on YOU to be nice to someone. Put yourself in their shoes. Would you want to be separated from your kids on a flight?
Get real. He doesnt have to put himself in anybodys shoes. Just pay for his own ticket and sit in the seat he paid for, and be a law abiding citizen. Reminds me of girls who have no business getting pregnant, and then they are on the subway with these huge strollers expecting Joe Public to help them up & and down.
NOPE. You deal with the bed you made

Old 06-10-2015, 01:09 AM

865 posts, read 1,077,103 times
Only if I would not end up in a worse seat. On long distance flights, I must sit in an aisle seat, so would not accept a middle or window seat. On short distance flights, I prefer to sit by the window, so would not accept a middle seat and would be reluctant to accept an aisle seat. Their lack of planning shouldn't ruin my flight.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Get real. He doesnt have to put himself in anybodys shoes. Just pay for his own ticket and sit in the seat he paid for, and be a law abiding citizen. Reminds me of girls who have no business getting pregnant, and then they are on the subway with these huge strollers expecting Joe Public to help them up & and down.
Should a CHILD have to suffer from not being able to sit with their family just because an ADULT won't move? It's really sad when a 6 year old has to be separated from their family during a flight just because a 40 year old wants to be comfortable. Stick the 40 year old next to the lavatory for all I care, they can deal with it so a 6 year old can be with their family. This is just a hypothetical situation, and you can replace 40 with any number 21 or higher (in reasonable health) and 6 with any number 12 or lower, or senior citizen/adult with major health issue. Now if it's a 16 year old who is separated from their family on a flight, that's different. You should still be kind and let them sit together, but it's not as big of a deal. I'm sure there's a 45 year old out there who still negatively remembers someone for not moving from an airplane seat and keeping them separated from their family 40 years ago.
You should be kind from the goodness of your heart, and not worry about "What's the BARE MINIMUM kindness I need to get by?"

Old 06-10-2015, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
And plus, as an earlier poster said, what if there was an emergency and there was no time to plan?

Old 06-10-2015, 02:25 AM

509 posts, read 554,773 times
We always purchase seats together, does everyone not do this?

Old 06-10-2015, 02:54 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I had to fly with my son.
I bought my tickets together and confirmed a week before and the day before the flight.

When it was a Southwest flight (you know, you seat yourself), I bought our seats...then I paid extra to make sure we were in the first 15 of group A so that we'd be the first ones on and get our seats together. He's 3. There's no other option.

I mean, this is what you do to make sure you sit together.

That being said, I would move if it wouldn't make any difference in comfort, especially on a long flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel