Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you switch seats so a family could sit together?
Yes I would move. 129 33.42%
Yes, but only if I could get a similar or better seat. 111 28.76%
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances. 119 30.83%
No I would not move. 27 6.99%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 03:42 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times

Advertisements

Of course, I would.
I'm a camper...I could sleep wet...comfort isn't a big deal to me.
( I don't like shivering , tho.)
And you can take the Catholic out of a person...but not the Golden Rule...
these acts bring me closer to connecting to my Maker in my heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 03:43 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
I would, unless switching would put me next to a child whose parent was not also next to them. I don't want to babysit someone else's child for the entire flight.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:38 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Again, if you can't take care of it yourself, check it. I have no way of knowing if grannies bag is eight pounds or 48. And I'm not going to offer to help to find out it's 48. It is not my job or responsibility or liability or health to lift your bag for you. You can bring a carry on--one that you can stow.
I can and do stow it just fine thank you. When a flight attendant or another passenger decides to move it to the back that is beyond my control, and presents a difficulty. I also said I CAN get it out on my own although it requires more time and standing on seats. I have done so and would do so again in the future.

I did not ask to be the height I am, and I should not have to follow different rules to satisfy someone that feels entitled to dictate the actions of others. That is like claiming all people of a certain race, something over which they have no control, should also not be allowed to check bags. Sorry the differences of humans irritate you so much. What a sad thing for you.

I'll also add my height is a benefit to other air passengers as I rarely recline my seat. I have plenty of leg room. The person sitting next to me often gets a bit of bonus space.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:32 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Oh give me a break.
I flew back to the US at the end of my honeymoon (overseas, 10+ hrs) with my husband on a completely different airline, AND the IFE didn't work.
Thank God for iPads.

Cry me a river if a family can't stand to sit apart for 3 hrs. Most people are just watching a movie, reading, or sleeping anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Oh, believe me, the parent would be ecstatic not to have to entertain (and keep quiet and still) their child for the duration of the flight. I'm just surprised that you'd so readily volunteer for it. Do you just love toddlers that much that you'd do anything to play with one?
Quote:
Why are you quoting me?
I said nothing about children or babysitting.

Yes you did. But nice try pretending you hadn't and hoping I'd be too lazy to go and check.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I would tell you that I am not a babysitter and you will be responsible for the cleaning bills if your child pukes, snots, pees, or spills on me.
For all your not-babysittingness, if you choose to be the adult sitting next to a three year old in the absence of a parent you'd better brush up on your singing voice and break out the wipes.

Quote:
Families who absolutely need to sit together should book first class seats. People are generally happy to switch in first, even to go up or back or aisle for window. Problem solved.

By the way, we almost always get upgraded due to status. We are traveling next week, and my husband currently has several broken bones. Rather than risk being separated or him being jostled around, we spent the miles to upgrade to be sure we will be together in first and he will have a window seat so no one can bump him. It's called personal responsibility.
OK, now you're just being weird. We should spend $80,000 on a flight just so you don't get an aisle seat?

Old 06-11-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
Heh, it wasn't the wisest of moves for them, especially as placing a family with a little one up front close to passengers who paid more for their special class tickets undoubtedly pissed off those passengers as well.

We have never and will never fly with that airline again though so lesson learned!
People with lap babies get the bulkhead seats by default, the only preference is given to people with younger lap babies (because of the weight limit in the bassinette). I went for years and years only ever flying bulkhead.

And don't forget, people with lap babies paid more for their ticket than anyone else in that cabin (adult, plus 10% of full adult fare plus two sets of fees). I've been quoted five times as much for my lap baby than for my own ticket (yes, I bought a full ticket for them on that flight).

Old 06-11-2015, 07:51 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,248 times
Quote:
Yes you did. But nice try pretending you hadn't and hoping I'd be too lazy to go and check.
Ok right, because in some weird roundabout way I insinuated that because I won't always switch seats with a family (which could be just husband and wife, parents and teen, or parents and toddler), I somehow "readily volunteer for it" or "just love toddlers that much that you'd do anything to play with one".

For your info, I voted for "I would consider it, depending on the circumstances." I think young children (toddlers), should definitely be kept with their parents moreso for safety reasons than anything else. But that doesn't automatically mean I'm going to move. It also doesn't automatically mean I'm going to be stuck entertaining their child- someone else might switch.

Not sure why you feel the need to personally attack me.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:04 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
I've read through this thread and I'm pretty appalled.

The parents on who think that people should unconditionally switch seats with their child are vapid, and completely self centered.

Did you stop to think that maybe someone cannot switch places with you or your child because of medical reasons?

Old 06-11-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Ok right, because in some weird roundabout way I insinuated that because I won't always switch seats with a family (which could be just husband and wife, parents and teen, or parents and toddler), I somehow "readily volunteer for it" or "just love toddlers that much that you'd do anything to play with one".

For your info, I voted for "I would consider it, depending on the circumstances." I think young children (toddlers), should definitely be kept with their parents moreso for safety reasons than anything else. But that doesn't automatically mean I'm going to move. It also doesn't automatically mean I'm going to be stuck entertaining their child- someone else might switch.

Not sure why you feel the need to personally attack me.
Personally attack? I'm repeating your own words back to you. Cry me a river if you end up entertaining my 18 month old for nine hours because you won't move.

Quote:
Oh give me a break.

Cry me a river if a family can't stand to sit apart for 3 hrs. Most people are just watching a movie, reading, or sleeping anyway.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:18 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,714 times
Quote:
Personally attack? I'm repeating your own words back to you. Cry me a river if you end up entertaining my 18 month old for nine hours because you won't move.
Why wouldn't you take care of your own 18 month old?

Pay for a seat selection - don't be cheap. If something happens and your pre-booked seats aren't available, and if the gate agent won't assure you you're seated together book the next flight. I find it VERY strange that anyone would board with a toddler in the expectation they'll bully a fellow traveler into moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel