Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you switch seats so a family could sit together?
Yes I would move. 129 33.42%
Yes, but only if I could get a similar or better seat. 111 28.76%
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances. 119 30.83%
No I would not move. 27 6.99%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 01:28 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,622,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You assume that everyone checks baggage. My husband and I are leaving for a long weekend in California in a couple of hours. We have a 20" (wheels to handle) rolling bag, my smallish pocketbook, and a small laptop bag. That's it. No reason to be checking a bag. We have a 50 minute connection in PHX and he has a broken foot. We've asked for cart assistance, but there is no guarantee, so that extra five minutes could be the difference between making and missing the last flight of the night.
Have a good trip. The Phoenix airport is not my favorite. I've been there a few times, as we have an office in Tucson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 01:41 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,411,083 times
Yes! if need be, I would stand, leaders lead by example, there is no half way, it's the right thing to do.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:51 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,009,247 times
Quote:
Sometimes there isn't time to go to the bathroom if you are connecting and the inbound arrived late and you had to do the OJ sprint to get the connecting flight to begin with.
I don't buy it. Again, this is as a person who can sit on a 6-hour flight without needing to go to the bathroom.

I've been in the situation you describe. Knowing that the plane is going to land late (which you know while you're ON the first flight), I go to the bathroom on that flight while it's still in the air. That holds me for quite some time.

The people I'm talking about either don't do that (which means they're not thinking fourth dimensionally), or they're what I think they really are - which is too lazy to use the bathroom at the airport, too focused on their phones texting BFFs and browsing Facebook, get on the plane and realize they need to go to the bathroom when they had MORE than enough time beforehand.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:21 PM

3,576 posts, read 4,497,795 times
I would move for a small child.

But never move to an inside seat.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:21 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,931,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I don't buy it. Again, this is as a person who can sit on a 6-hour flight without needing to go to the bathroom.

I've been in the situation you describe. Knowing that the plane is going to land late (which you know while you're ON the first flight), I go to the bathroom on that flight while it's still in the air. That holds me for quite some time.

The people I'm talking about either don't do that (which means they're not thinking fourth dimensionally), or they're what I think they really are - which is too lazy to use the bathroom at the airport, too focused on their phones texting BFFs and browsing Facebook, get on the plane and realize they need to go to the bathroom when they had MORE than enough time beforehand.
You can buy or not buy whatever you'd like. It's happened to me--many times. Inbound flight lands late and I RUN through the airport to make the connection, getting on as they shut the door behind me. I have to use the lav, as I last used it three hours ago. It's not healthy to hold it for six hours. Not at all.

By the way, what are you going to do when you don't know the plane will be landing late until they put on the fasten seatbelt signs and then hold in a circle over the airport for 30 minutes. It's happened to me many times. The last time was coming into LHR due to congestion. delayed 30 minutes while we flew in circles over the English countryside--and no one was allowed to get out of their seat.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:38 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,106,242 times
Quote:
You can buy or not buy whatever you'd like. It's happened to me--many times. Inbound flight lands late and I RUN through the airport to make the connection, getting on as they shut the door behind me. I have to use the lav, as I last used it three hours ago. It's not healthy to hold it for six hours. Not at all.

By the way, what are you going to do when you don't know the plane will be landing late until they put on the fasten seatbelt signs and then hold in a circle over the airport for 30 minutes. It's happened to me many times. The last time was coming into LHR due to congestion. delayed 30 minutes while we flew in circles over the English countryside--and no one was allowed to get out of their seat.
Tsk. Tsk. You should definitely plan better. Why on earth making your connecting flights so close together?! Such poor planning. I mean, really, RUNNING through an airport?! That's just no way to infringe upon the travelers who have planned better and can make their flights by walking propery.

Perhaps a cath bag? You really should booted from the flight if you're holding everyone up by using the lav. What is it with people thinking the world revolves around their bladders?! Some people are so entitled.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:02 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,018,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Tsk. Tsk. You should definitely plan better. Why on earth making your connecting flights so close together?! Such poor planning. I mean, really, RUNNING through an airport?! That's just no way to infringe upon the travelers who have planned better and can make their flights by walking propery.

Perhaps a cath bag? You really should booted from the flight if you're holding everyone up by using the lav. What is it with people thinking the world revolves around their bladders?! Some people are so entitled.
Do you even travel by plane?

Business travellers rarely leave hours between flights, we want to get to and from as efficiently as possible, connection times are chosen by the airlines and if theres a slight delay the need to hustle is common. Seems some of the people on here have no idea about air travel.

Wanting the seat you've bought and paid for is reasonable. If people choose to switch they can. If they choose not to that is entirely their right.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
Do you even travel by plane?

Business travellers rarely leave hours between flights, we want to get to and from as efficiently as possible, connection times are chosen by the airlines and if theres a slight delay the need to hustle is common. Seems some of the people on here have no idea about air travel.
Holding up an entire flight because you have to go potty is included in your definition of "efficient business traveler"??

Old 06-18-2015, 10:33 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,018,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Holding up an entire flight because you have to go potty is included in your definition of "efficient business traveler"??
You stated that tight connections were a sign of poor planning. Wrong. I have said nothing about anybody going to the bathroom.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Clearly you do not fly often. I don't fly a great deal but can tell you as someone who is single and flies alone, (and who always springs for the "premium seating" with extra legroom and priority boarding, usually an extra $30 or so) that at least half the time I have been asked to move to accommodate "families traveling together"...which pretty much always results in a loss of said $30 without any form of reimbursement other than the good deed aspect which has worn out it's welcome in this instance.
Well, "often" is a subjective term. But since I don't fly for work, I consider 4-5 times a year "often." My toddler has flown across the country 4 times. Which I consider "often" for a toddler. My husband, however, flies nearly every week, so by anyone's definition that is "often." And no, he's NEVER seen a family kicked off a flight because no one on the entire plane would switch seats with them. (Which is the post that post was referencing, not the OP's question )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel