U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you switch seats so a family could sit together?
Yes I would move. 129 33.42%
Yes, but only if I could get a similar or better seat. 111 28.76%
I would consider it, depending on the circumstances. 119 30.83%
No I would not move. 27 6.99%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 11:33 AM

5,720 posts, read 3,671,896 times

Advertisements

Assume that you are traveling alone, so that it doesn't matter who you are sitting next to. If the flight attendant told you that she is trying to seat a family together, would you move? If so, under what conditions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 11:39 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,552,632 times
I would move if the seat was similar or better. I would not take a middle seat or something further back. Families should be better prepared in purchasing seats for flights.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:46 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,848,908 times
If I could wind up in an aisle or window seat, I would. I'm a plus size traveler, so the middle seat is really uncomfortable.

I wouldn't want to travel next to a child who is scared and anxious because mom is six rows up and dad is 8 rows back.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:46 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,664,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I would move if the seat was similar or better. I would not take a middle seat or something further back. Families should be better prepared in purchasing seats for flights.
Yup.

I would move back a row or two, but nothing more than that.it would also depend on the age of the child. had someone try to get me to move so they could sit next to their teen once on a 35 minute flight. Uh, helicopter much?

Old 06-09-2015, 11:54 AM

13,108 posts, read 24,923,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
This ^^^^ No way am I getting stuck in a middle seat

Old 06-09-2015, 12:13 PM

4,959 posts, read 7,618,066 times
Only to one that was better, and if they offered to buy me a meal or a drink
If they for a moment started acting entitled I would shut down immediately and ignore them.

And I'm the guy who always offers to place or take down the heavy baggage to someone who looks like they might need assistance.

There was a similar thread here a way back about the agony that one might have to endure if you actually had a seat assignment not directly adjacent your spouse on a flight and how that might damage one's marriage or be a threat to the wife's safety and well being.

Give me a break! Sure it's nice to sit next to one another but to occasionally have to sit apart isn't gonna kill you.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:17 PM

6,475 posts, read 3,472,918 times
I'd love to be the champion of the uber-polite. But with the headaches I've incurred over the years travelling by air, and the costs associated with the seats I purchased, and dealing with the typical airport BS - I'd be polite only if my move was at a minimum a lateral one. Meaning - aisle for aisle (my choice of seat), or upgrade to 1st class, or $$. Plus, if I booked to get a seat towards the front of the plane, not sure if I'd go all the way to the rear.

Call me cheap, call me rude. I'm just a middle-classed traveler who barely has money to travel in the first place these days, so I want what I purchased.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:23 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,664,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Only to one that was better, and if they offered to buy me a meal or a drink
If they for a moment started acting entitled I would shut down immediately and ignore them.

And I'm the guy who always offers to place or take down the heavy baggage to someone who looks like they might need assistance.

There was a similar thread here a way back about the agony that one might have to endure if you actually had a seat assignment not directly adjacent your spouse on a flight and how that might damage one's marriage or be a threat to the wife's safety and well being.

Give me a break! Sure it's nice to sit next to one another but to occasionally have to sit apart isn't gonna kill you.
I won't help people with luggage. if they can't put it into the overhead on their own, or don't have a traveling companion to take care of it, they need to check it. I'm not going to risk injuring myself because someone chooses to pack their rock collection in their carry on.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:33 PM

15,109 posts, read 19,078,518 times
I answered this quickly - Yes, I would change seats. Hell, I've offered to change seats so a married couple could sit together! I'm generally a pretty nice person.

But on a plane, there are a few things that would make me reconsider.

If the family was acting like schmucks (being demanding, or being rude to the flight attendant), I would not feel as inclined to be nice.

If the only seat available for me to move was very near little kids, I'd think long and hard. To me, sitting near unruly, crying or very active, bored children is the worst part of plane travel (sorry - I have no kids, rarely spend time around them, and am not used to their needs).

Sitting in the middle seat? Hell, I do it all the time to accommodate hubby who likes the window. If I'm alone, I'd choose an aisle, but it's not a big deal to me.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:37 PM

2,982 posts, read 2,713,552 times
I recently switched seats so that an elderly couple could sit together with another elderly relative on a flight back from Germany. As an experienced traveler, I would go so far as to say it is rude to refuse to switch seats. For those who say that families should plan better, you should understand travel better. It is not always easy to get seats together, and many times the airline will switch seats so you don't always don't get the seat you thought you were going to get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or