U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2015, 02:56 PM

7,925 posts, read 5,042,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Your assumption is that some government bureaucrats know better than the market what the appropriate products are.
I find it interesting that in some quarters it is believed that (1) the market is ALWAYS right and regulators are necessarily wrong, and that (2) public-sector experts are mere "government bureaucrats". To me this belief is as indefensible as its opposite, which is that consumers are necessarily idiots and need a nanny to protect them.

Is it unreasonable that the truth is somewhere in the middle? Again, I certainly don't champion regulation for regulation's sake. But there are times when so-called "free" markets really aren't free, and that markets just plainly don't work.

For example, safety-glass automotive windshields are expensive, add weight and complexity, and therefore increase cost and decrease vehicle performance. They're a lose-lose... both for manufacturers trying to make a profit, and for consumers desiring low prices. Would a "free" market have produced universal installation of safety-glass windshields in automobiles? Is it a travesty that regulation forced manufacturers to introduce safety-glass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 05:07 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,490,417 times
As a consumer, I have the right to determine how much safety I purchase. I should have the right to decide if I want to purchase a seat belt. I should also have the right to decide if I want to purchase a wider airplane seat. Why should you give that right to the government?

There are no government requirements for monitored burglar alarms in houses. Yet millions of Americans (including me) buy them. That's because we believe they are worth the cost. We made that decision for ourselves. We didn't need government to tell us that we must have a monitored a burglar alarm.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:09 PM

1,170 posts, read 794,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
As a consumer, I have the right to determine how much safety I purchase. I should have the right to decide if I want to purchase a seat belt. I should also have the right to decide if I want to purchase a wider airplane seat. Why should you give that right to the government?

There are no government requirements for monitored burglar alarms in houses. Yet millions of Americans (including me) buy them. That's because we believe they are worth the cost. We made that decision for ourselves. We didn't need government to tell us that we must have a monitored a burglar alarm.
What does this have to do with the topic? I don't care if heavy people feel safe, I just want my personal space respected.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:14 PM

7,981 posts, read 3,466,719 times
If you are "spilling " into the seat next to you, that is a sign you are too big for one seat. If I pay for a seat I want the whole seat not a half of the seat. Also the person in the middle gets the armrests.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:15 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,743,419 times
Yes, yes, and yes. Nothing drives me more crazy than sitting next to someone spilling into my seat. Happens all too often!

Old 06-12-2015, 05:23 PM

7,925 posts, read 5,042,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
What does this have to do with the topic? I don't care if heavy people feel safe, I just want my personal space respected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
If you are "spilling " into the seat next to you, that is a sign you are too big for one seat. If I pay for a seat I want the whole seat not a half of the seat. Also the person in the middle gets the armrests.
The point is that comfort costs money, and if the prevailing trend from market-forces is to forego comfort in favor of saving money, then we reap as we sow, etc. What is the alternative? Well, one alternative is to intervene in the comfort-money dynamic by invoking the regulatory machine. An example where this frequently happens is the various subjects of safety, such as automotive safety or even airline safety. But is regulation legitimate in the subject of mere comfort? This is the argument that I'm raising.

If the oversized person in the adjacent seat spills over into my seat, and if all upon which we can rely is market-forces, then I really have no recourse. I could engage in verbal or physical sparring with said person, and depending on law of the jungle vigor, I may or may not win. But this is not the airline's problem. So then, whose problem is it? Again, this is where I think that the regulatory machine can intercede.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:35 AM

1,973 posts, read 1,643,627 times
Sorry but no.. if they are Obese require that they pay for two seats..why should an obese person get 2 seats for the price of one..( Why would anyone support Obesity?) Airlines are already restricting baggage because of WEIGHT why not passengers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
This will never happen because it would affect the airline's bottom line, but, I think as a courtesy to extremely obese people, there should be an option to allow them to self identify as overweight so that they can have the seat next to them empty - at not cost to them - for them to sit comfortably.

Yes, this won't happen because it's loss revenue for the airline. Another regular sized human being could be in that seat. But since this is becoming more common, it's something that the airlines should consider.

If they ask you for your meal preference or if you have kids or need a wheel chair, why can't they ask you if you are a large person and need an extra seat?

I'm petite and I have sat next to large people. One person so huge, thankfully I requested to be moved and was accommodated. Size was like three of me: height and weight. She needed a second seat. Why should I be made uncomfortable?

Accommodate obese people on flights by not charging them extra for the seats (that's the key to self-identifying and being accommodated), they are customers too and need to fly.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:12 AM

21 posts, read 16,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Thank you for pointing this out!

How many adult human males measure less than 17" across the shoulders? That's how many would fit in 17"-width seats, without crowding into neighbors' space. Recently I flew in a CRJ regional jet, with four seats across; there was no first-class compartment. In a window seat, I literally had to rotate my torso to a 45-degree angle to fit into the space between my neighbor's shoulder and the cabin wall. Fortunately it was a short flight.
I had that happen on a larger jet. I sat next to a tall and very fit man. His shoulders were in my space. My boyfriend's shoulders and legs are always in my space. It's less awkward when its your boyfriend Losing weight is not going to help these people. Meanwhile, I could stand to lose 15 lbs. I don't spill over anywhere in a plane seat...even in a regional jet. I just don't carry weight in my hips/butt.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:55 AM

686 posts, read 731,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
You speak up and point out the issue to the flight attendant BEFORE the plane pulls away from the gate. If there are empty seats available, the overly large person will be moved next to one of them. If there are not, the overly large person will be removed from the flight. Either solution solves your problem. But it's up to YOU to act! The airline doesn't give a rat's ass about your comfort, and never will. They only care about legal regulations and cold, hard cash.
Not entirely correct. I was seated next to an extremely large person, I'd guess 400+ lbs. Person was so large we could not put the arm rest between the two seats down otherwise she wouldn't "fit" or in other words, her size required her to occupy my seat.

I brought this to the flight attendants attention and I was told I could de-plane and take a later flight.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:25 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,490,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
I was responding to a post that suggested we have government determine seat sizes, among other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or