U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2015, 07:37 AM

12,594 posts, read 15,062,766 times

Advertisements

Simple answer: yes, or pay for first class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 07:51 AM

15,024 posts, read 21,743,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
I badly want for that to be an effective method for dealing with this problem. Unfortunately, you don't always get much time before takeoff to know who's going to sit down next to you. That happened to us once and the airline said, oh well, we're taking off and there's no other seats. My husband literally had another man's ass cheek and thigh on top of his, and had to sit crooked because his upper body was also taking up my husband's seat. Believe me, we complained and got nothing--no voucher, no accommodation, nothing. The other guy said sorry but he can stick his sorrys in a sack--this was his fault.

Unless the airline was unable to sell all seats on the flight, someone should pay for the extra seat, and it shouldn't be the airline.

Airlines give dimensions for carry-on bags. If you show up trying to use a big bag for a carry-on, the airline measures and charges you to check a bag or stows it elsewhere. You can say no and get off the flight if you want. Why not do this with humans? If you require more than 1 seat then you should pay.

In the story I mentioned above, IMO the airline should have told the passenger they did not have room for him because he did not fit in the 1 seat he purchased.

I don't think it would be unreasonable for them to have a no-refund policy if someone buys 1 ticket, shows up requiring 2, and has to re-book.
This happened to me last year. It was unbelievable. The flight was short thank goodness. This is however when I wish I had the gumption to say something.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:28 AM

7,925 posts, read 5,042,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
... The metric of whether you fit in 1 seat or not is if you spill over the armrest boundary line. ... The large person can be asked to pay for an additional seat and the passengers can be moved around to accommodate it. This sort of thing can start at the gate while people are waiting. The gate staff can announce if anyone wants an additional seat to approach the desk. Ultimately, if no additional seating is available and no one is willing to sit next to the large person, the large person must reschedule his flight.
Issue of discrimination aside, this would only be workable if the percentage of "large" people were small. But is it? As I mentioned before, how many normal-weight (by BMI standards) Western adult men can squeeze their shoulders into an 18" seat? If you wear a 46" jacket (or maybe even a 44"), it just doesn't work. For an attempt at some data, see for example Average Clothing Size Is WHAT? - Netscape Home & Living

One time on a ~2 hour flight a quirk of misfortune place myself and two other weightlifter-types 3-abreast; it was probably in a 757. We looked like a stalk of brocolli - pinched narrow at the middle, bulging out at the top. The window-guy was scrunched against the fuselage-side. The middle-guy sat with shoulders hunched. And the aisle-guy leaned a good 10" inches the aisle.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:32 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,096,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Setting aside the fact that it's cheating the airline out of revenue, how does that work when Southwest has open seating? Can't someone just sit in the empty seat you've bought if they want to?
The only time I have seen it happen, the passenger had a sign that was placed in the seat next to them that the empty seat was purchased for them

Old 06-14-2015, 01:06 PM

11,935 posts, read 20,392,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Setting aside the fact that it's cheating the airline out of revenue, how does that work when Southwest has open seating? Can't someone just sit in the empty seat you've bought if they want to?
No -- they give you a seat reserved placeholder to put in the seat next to you. I sat in the aisle with a woman who bought a second seat -- she sat at the window. I didn't know her, or what the sign was for, but saw the seat reserved sign in the middle seat and asked I could take the aisle...

Everyone else who saw the paper just knew...

I was concerned when they said the plane was full.... but thanks to that sign we had a nice trip!

Old 06-14-2015, 04:13 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,936,489 times
Absolutely. Weigh them at check in, just like luggage. Measure the waist at belly button level. Over 200 pounds and/or waist over 36" you must buy two seats.

I'd rather sit next to a chain smoker than a blubber puss overhanging the arms of the seat.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:45 PM

11,935 posts, read 20,392,868 times
My fervent travel wish? Wider or double arm rests. I always seem to get the wiggly worm guys who have to get up and stow or unstow or restow. Arms on tray table, arms back on arm rests, take up all the arm rest, press buttons, back on tray table, running hands through their hair wiggle wiggle, go to the bathroom, come back, open the bag and pull out more stuff....

The last guy that was doing this, finally pulled out a travel pillow and faceplanted himself on his tray table and slept for a few hours...I really wanted to kill him -- he was especially wiggly -- like a three year old in a 35 year old body...

At least a fat person is wedged in tight and not going anywhere....

Old 06-14-2015, 07:07 PM

4,492 posts, read 2,882,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbucci24 View Post
This may be a controversial topic, but I just wanted to get some view points as I recently was on a business trip and had a pretty large individual sit between myself and another person traveling on business. We had no connecting flight as our plane was going to the same destination and once that person got off we began to discuss. I just wanted to get some view points on this to see if we were right.

When you buy a plane ticket there are a multitude of things you have to consider. Am I getting the best price? Where is my seat going to be? How much time do I have to reach my connection? How long is the layover? ect ect ect? Pondering if you will be comfortable during your flight should not be one of them.

Ive been to sporting events where a large person sat next to me and pretty much took up half of my personal area, thusly pretty much ruining any comfort I had, I have also been on other flights where I have sat next to large people and I was extremely cramped when I got off the plane because the persons arms kept pushing my shoulders to weird positions.

So, do you think its fair that larger individuals are able to take up more space than they are allotted, make you uncomfortable, touch you, ruin your experience and not have to pay for an extra seat? See I personally dont think it is. With the growing amount of obese people in the U.S. its actually becoming a problem and a concern to airlines, as I have had a few talks with managers because of my experiences. They are just trying to figure out a way to deal with it.

The only way I can think of is have a regulated height to weight ratio index with maximums that would need to be filled out during the purchase phase of the ticket. Based on the calculation, if you are over the max you would need to purchase another ticket. Now this would be very invasive, offensive, has problems written all over it. However, how else would these be conducted?
This was what I heard last decade, but AFAIK, the policy should still remain... if you're in a situation like this where you're between 2 fat people with themselves literally spilling into you, you can request to get another seat, or reasonable accommodations.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:49 PM

10,965 posts, read 10,196,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Simple answer: yes, or pay for first class.
Exactly. If I was obese, I would just fly first class as long as I was paying for two seats anyway.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:13 PM

15,545 posts, read 13,536,591 times
I use to be hard lined on this, with a "yes", but though I still say "yes" to paying for two seats, I am becoming more questioning about it. Seats have continued to shrink, and I do not think this trend will stop any time soon. At what point is it that the damn seat is just too small and not the person too big?

I was on an international flight recently (inter-Europe) and I swear the thing was built for kids, I felt like I was sitting in a chair for kindergartners, it was the most ridiculous flight I have taken to date and hope this is not a preview into the future for all flights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or