U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2015, 01:23 PM

756 posts, read 623,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbucci24 View Post
This may be a controversial topic, but I just wanted to get some view points as I recently was on a business trip and had a pretty large individual sit between myself and another person traveling on business. We had no connecting flight as our plane was going to the same destination and once that person got off we began to discuss. I just wanted to get some view points on this to see if we were right.

When you buy a plane ticket there are a multitude of things you have to consider. Am I getting the best price? Where is my seat going to be? How much time do I have to reach my connection? How long is the layover? ect ect ect? Pondering if you will be comfortable during your flight should not be one of them.

Ive been to sporting events where a large person sat next to me and pretty much took up half of my personal area, thusly pretty much ruining any comfort I had, I have also been on other flights where I have sat next to large people and I was extremely cramped when I got off the plane because the persons arms kept pushing my shoulders to weird positions.

So, do you think its fair that larger individuals are able to take up more space than they are allotted, make you uncomfortable, touch you, ruin your experience and not have to pay for an extra seat? See I personally dont think it is. With the growing amount of obese people in the U.S. its actually becoming a problem and a concern to airlines, as I have had a few talks with managers because of my experiences. They are just trying to figure out a way to deal with it.

The only way I can think of is have a regulated height to weight ratio index with maximums that would need to be filled out during the purchase phase of the ticket. Based on the calculation, if you are over the max you would need to purchase another ticket. Now this would be very invasive, offensive, has problems written all over it. However, how else would these be conducted?
Obese people are the least of the airline problems. No, they certainly do not meed any more regulations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 03:56 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,156,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
I had to laugh on one flight when we had the three bulkhead seats in the first row (priced a little more than regular coach) with the middle seat empty and a passenger came up and asked if anyone was sitting in the middle seat!! I looked at him and said, "We are." He responded, "No you're not, it's empty". I explained that I paid for all three and wasn't sharing. He huffed and walked away.

Sometimes you just can't win!!
This is very difficult to enforce. Most people won't believe you paid for an extra seat. You may have to get the captain to resolve such a dispute, and with a high-revenue passenger waiting to get on the plane, he could conceivably resolve it by allowing the person to sit in your extra seat.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:05 PM

10,941 posts, read 10,185,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
This is very difficult to enforce. Most people won't believe you paid for an extra seat. You may have to get the captain to resolve such a dispute, and with a high-revenue passenger waiting to get on the plane, he could conceivably resolve it by allowing the person to sit in your extra seat.
I would imagine if you buy 2 seats, you get 2 boarding passes with the seat numbers on them, no?

Old 06-15-2015, 04:18 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I've seen this scenario. They asked for a volunteer, some college kid gave up his seat. The person who bought the second seat kept it--as it should be.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:32 PM

1,170 posts, read 794,301 times
In Canada the airlines are legally required to provide two seats for the price of one for obese passengers who have a doctors note. The doctor has to measure the girth of the patient while sitting. The extra seat has to be requested in advance. People still don't go through the steps (or they're not willing to admit they're obese, just "big boned".

Old 06-15-2015, 04:55 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
In Canada the airlines are legally required to provide two seats for the price of one for obese passengers who have a doctors note. The doctor has to measure the girth of the patient while sitting. The extra seat has to be requested in advance. People still don't go through the steps (or they're not willing to admit they're obese, just "big boned".
Why reward bad behavior?

Old 06-15-2015, 05:26 PM

805 posts, read 789,836 times
As a person myself who is quite large. Its all about how you let people percieve yourself. When i fly if i cant sit in first class. The person who has to sit next to me gets to enjoy a free meal on my dime. Or if they would like to order an alcoholic beverage i will pay for that too. I also make sure i am bad stink free or have somthing on that smells nice. I do this because i know im taking up their space and it bothers them. I also dont act like a slob and cought sneeze and hack all over the person next to me. Im not super wealthy but a free drink or snack on me changes peoples attitude quickly.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:51 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Just make the skinny passengers sit next to the fat ones, so the total weight for a pair of seats is still only 400 pounds. They'll fit.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:14 PM

1,170 posts, read 794,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Why reward bad behavior?
It was a decision under our human rights language, it's unlawful to discriminate against someone due to a disability and the airlines have a "duty to accommodate" obese passengers. That is why the medical note is needed.

Not saying I agree with it, but it's the law here in the great white north.

As I said, doesn't mean that we don't still get squished...

Old 06-15-2015, 06:19 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,482,290 times
i'm glad I rarely if ever fly anymore. I had enough when I worked for Delta Airlines, and had to listen to all these complaints. Though none of us really had the authority to do much about the problem. I agree it is a serious problem. The seats are getting smaller, and yes many Americans are getting bigger. It's not fair for a person that can fit comfortably in their seat, to be seated next to someone that invades into their space. The airlines should have dealth with this properly years ago, but we were always told to give the passenger the seat extension. My view is a 2nd seat should have been mandatory, for someone not capable of fitting in one seat. Which in my time flying was not nearly the problem it is now.

Actually I thought by now the Airlines would have been enforcing, 2 seats for people in that situation. After reading all these comments I guess not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or