U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2015, 08:50 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,249,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Maybe each airline can hire one of those Carnival weight guessers and have them evaluate the passengers for seat occupancy violations prior to boarding, thus avoiding the uncomfortable flesh press.

SWA seems the most progressive in dealing with the problem - probably because they have the most experience. It has happened to me lots of times, and I usually just put up with it. It was only seriously once and in that instance a mind-reading flight attendant asked me just after closing the airplane door if I wanted to move.

Step right up and let the gimp guess your weight before you fly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 09:47 PM

4,492 posts, read 2,879,022 times
Is 2 seats for wide people enough? Don't they take up extra space on both sides? So if they're in a window seat, they're fine because they harmlessly spill over into the wall, but in the middle, wouldn't they also need to buy 2 spaces? In the aisle, wouldn't they be impeding folks traveling through the aisle?

Old 06-15-2015, 10:05 PM

7,314 posts, read 4,154,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Is 2 seats for wide people enough?
In all but the most extreme cases, it's far more than enough.

Quote:
Don't they take up extra space on both sides?
No, of course not. They sit so they aren't centered in either seat.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:56 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,596,611 times
Are we also going to call out family travelers who hold noisy bratty infants/toddlers with them in their seat while traveling?

Old 06-16-2015, 08:32 AM

12,170 posts, read 10,349,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Are we also going to call out family travelers who hold noisy bratty infants/toddlers with them in their seat while traveling?
No, because this thread is about fat people taking up 2 seats.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:50 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
As a person myself who is quite large. Its all about how you let people percieve yourself. When i fly if i cant sit in first class. The person who has to sit next to me gets to enjoy a free meal on my dime. Or if they would like to order an alcoholic beverage i will pay for that too. I also make sure i am bad stink free or have somthing on that smells nice. I do this because i know im taking up their space and it bothers them. I also dont act like a slob and cought sneeze and hack all over the person next to me. Im not super wealthy but a free drink or snack on me changes peoples attitude quickly.
I don't speak for all, but the free drink or lousy airplane snack wouldn't make up for the fact that you are taking up space that I paid for. You need to buy a second seat if you are encroaching on the space of others, or offer to pay them cold, hard cash in the pro-rated amount of their ticket based on the amount of seat space you are claiming as your own.

By the way, wearing scents is sometimes even worse than smelling of BO. Most people wear way too much, and many of them stink, and many people are allergic to them.

At least you try, have to give you credit for that.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:52 AM

4,728 posts, read 4,472,936 times
Yes, they should have to pay for an extra seat if they are so large that they take up extra space. If I pay for my seat, I want it. I don't want anyone sharing it with me.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:53 AM

4,445 posts, read 3,525,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
No, because this thread is about fat bashing.
Fixed if for you

Old 06-16-2015, 09:58 AM

1,170 posts, read 794,476 times
I don't think it's fat bashing to talk about solutions to a problem that impacts people.

Overweight people encroach in the space others have bought and paid for. They are entitled to be the weight they choose to be, but this thread is about minimizing the impact of that choice on their traveling neighbor.

This is as much an issue for the overweight passenger, as a number of the larger posters here have indicated that they don't enjoy being in the space of other passengers either. In Canada it was the lobby group for obese people that got the regulations changed so they were entitled to two seats for one fare.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:43 AM

4,445 posts, read 3,525,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
I don't think it's fat bashing to talk about solutions to a problem that impacts people.

Overweight people encroach in the space others have bought and paid for. They are entitled to be the weight they choose to be, but this thread is about minimizing the impact of that choice on their traveling neighbor.

This is as much an issue for the overweight passenger, as a number of the larger posters here have indicated that they don't enjoy being in the space of other passengers either. In Canada it was the lobby group for obese people that got the regulations changed so they were entitled to two seats for one fare.
Might want to re-read some of the posts in this thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or