U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 12:16 PM

9,727 posts, read 4,579,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
This will never happen because it would affect the airline's bottom line, but, I think as a courtesy to extremely obese people, there should be an option to allow them to self identify as overweight so that they can have the seat next to them empty - at not cost to them - for them to sit comfortably.
That's ridiculous. Why should they get two seats for the price of one? In that case, I'll just self-identify as obese (I'm not) and get an extra seat to lay my laptop in and have more privacy. By the time they see me at the gate it's probably too late for that seat to be sold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 12:38 PM

7,330 posts, read 4,176,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That's ridiculous. Why should they get two seats for the price of one? In that case, I'll just self-identify as obese (I'm not)...
In Canada, where MItoBH's proposal is already law, your plan would not be possible. The obese person has to have a physician's note in order to qualify for the free extra seat. No note, no free second seat.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:56 PM

2,417 posts, read 4,112,502 times
What if the over-large person has a medical condition that's creating the obesity? Should they be penalised by having to buy two seats? What about a woman who's pregnant? And pregnant with twins? Is that going to be classed as oversized?

How about the opposite - if you start to charge large people extra, it won't be long before some smart aleck thin person asks the airline for a partial refund because they didn't use all of the seat space they were allocated.

Keep the rules simple - one passenger, one seat. Now if they invented seats which could have their width increased or reduced as required, that could be a solution.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:01 PM

1,170 posts, read 796,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
What if the over-large person has a medical condition that's creating the obesity? Should they be penalised by having to buy two seats? What about a woman who's pregnant? And pregnant with twins? Is that going to be classed as oversized?

How about the opposite - if you start to charge large people extra, it won't be long before some smart aleck thin person asks the airline for a partial refund because they didn't use all of the seat space they were allocated.

Keep the rules simple - one passenger, one seat. Now if they invented seats which could have their width increased or reduced as required, that could be a solution.
That would be simple. The point is not every passenger fits in one seat, that's the whole point of the thread (notwithstanding the few fat bashing posts).

Old 06-16-2015, 01:08 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,638,652 times
Quote:

Pregnancy--even with twins--before the seventh month isn't going to cause the woman to need extra space. After the seventh month (and probably even earlier with twins) air travel is prohibited.

As far as having a medical condition, life isn't always fair. A person using a service dog isn't given extra space for the dog--and I'd rather give the dog an extra seat for free.

If the seat was expanded, someone would lose space they had paid for to make up the difference. It's not like you can just make the fuselage wider.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:16 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,281,099 times
Quote:

If it is a medical condition so what? you still require more space and should pay for what you need. Should the airline or other passengers automatically be liable to pay for you? It is like Burger King selling hamburgers of the same size. If you need to eat two to fill yourself, you need to buy two. You can't say: that's unfair since I am born to have a big appetite and the restaurants should give me two instead. It is not healthcare. Flying is almost always optional. And no one will die for not travelling. If you don't want to pay for two seats, then don't fly.

Pregnant women are not twice as wide, and in most case they add like 30/40 pounds? I don't think that translated into another seat space. Plus, I don't think it is recommended for a 9 month pregnant woman to travel by air.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:32 PM

3,190 posts, read 2,504,839 times
If a person is too large to fit in a single seat then they should have to pay for an additional seat. I remember being on a flight where a really fat person(could not tell gender) was squeezed into a middle seat and both of the passengers on either side were completely inconvenienced by the situation, having to sit awkwardly and uncomfortably to accommodate this fat person. When they complained the flight attendants had the fat person move to a different seat in the back of the economy section that was seemingly made to accommodate fat people(it slid out of the wall and was wide enough to seat 2 average sized people but only had 1 seatbelt). The fat person complained for a while but eventually shut up.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:34 PM

3,190 posts, read 2,504,839 times
Quote:

Should obese people be charged less for their medical care? They have more health problems on average than people of healthy weight.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:38 PM

5,444 posts, read 4,863,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
That would be simple. The point is not every passenger fits in one seat, that's the whole point of the thread (notwithstanding the few fat bashing posts).
Just like the post office, if the item being shipped doesn't fit in the regular box, you pay extra for the larger box. If you can't fit in a single seat, then you pay extra and get the seat next to you. If you cannot afford the additional seat, then you don't fly. That simple.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:45 PM

184 posts, read 115,617 times
How would people recommend handling a situation where someone in the seat next to you is so large that they take up part of your seat and space? Would you get up and quietly speak with a flight attendant to see whether something could be done? What if the plane is full?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or