U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 01:58 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,632,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Should obese people be charged less for their medical care? They have more health problems on average than people of healthy weight.
health insurance should be rated just like life and auto insurance is. Those with higher risk should pay more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 02:00 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,632,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasters View Post
How would people recommend handling a situation where someone in the seat next to you is so large that they take up part of your seat and space? Would you get up and quietly speak with a flight attendant to see whether something could be done? What if the plane is full?
I have and will continue to do so.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:08 PM

8,980 posts, read 8,122,996 times
The problem is caused, by airlines shrinking the size of seats to be able to carry more passengers, thus bringing in more income to the airlines.

Rows that at one time had two seats, now have been changed to 3 narrow seats.

It is not the obese persons fault, that the new narrow seats are too narrow for them to sit in comfortably without being into the other passengers space next to them.

It is also the same for tall people with normal proportions the same as normal height people, and I do not make my height by having extra long legs as some taller me do. I am 6'2 " tall with big bones, and my normal weight is 200 pounds. I am not fat, just normal build and weight for my height. I admit, I jut out into the neighbors space with today's narrower seating.

Why should someone like me, have to pay double because some smaller people want more space than the airlines allowed the two of us combined. Remember it is not me, that decided to turn 2 seat rows into 3 seat rows, to carry more people.

I kind of understand what seating used to be like, compared to today. In 1950 I joined the navy for 4 years, while my draft notice was in the mail box to beat the draft. I was never aboard a ship. After I got out of navy schools after 1 year of schools, I was sent to a navy big plane transport squadron. I was in the air terminal and worked up to be the air terminal chief. I was in charge of all passengers, cargo, and flight orderlies (flight attendants) for travel from west coast to as far as Japan. The navy moved me between 2 different squadrons in California and Hawaii (twice with the same California squadron) as needed because there were few people that could completely run air terminals. After getting out of the navy, I flew many times with commercial air carriers.

The larger person did not have the problem of overflowing the seat, till the airlines changed the seats to the small economy size to raise revenue on all flights. So don't blame the larger person for being a problem for you, put the blame where it belongs on the airline.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:22 PM

1,170 posts, read 795,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The problem is caused, by airlines shrinking the size of seats to be able to carry more passengers, thus bringing in more income to the airlines.

Rows that at one time had two seats, now have been changed to 3 narrow seats.

It is not the obese persons fault, that the new narrow seats are too narrow for them to sit in comfortably without being into the other passengers space next to them.

It is also the same for tall people with normal proportions the same as normal height people, and I do not make my height by having extra long legs as some taller me do. I am 6'2 " tall with big bones, and my normal weight is 200 pounds. I am not fat, just normal build and weight for my height. I admit, I jut out into the neighbors space with today's narrower seating.

Why should someone like me, have to pay double because some smaller people want more space than the airlines allowed the two of us combined. Remember it is not me, that decided to turn 2 seat rows into 3 seat rows, to carry more people.

I kind of understand what seating used to be like, compared to today. In 1950 I joined the navy for 4 years, while my draft notice was in the mail box to beat the draft. I was never aboard a ship. After I got out of navy schools after 1 year of schools, I was sent to a navy big plane transport squadron. I was in the air terminal and worked up to be the air terminal chief. I was in charge of all passengers, cargo, and flight orderlies (flight attendants) for travel from west coast to as far as Japan. The navy moved me between 2 different squadrons in California and Hawaii (twice with the same California squadron) as needed because there were few people that could completely run air terminals. After getting out of the navy, I flew many times with commercial air carriers.

The larger person did not have the problem of overflowing the seat, till the airlines changed the seats to the small economy size to raise revenue on all flights. So don't blame the larger person for being a problem for you, put the blame where it belongs on the airline.
A normal weight for a 6'2" man is around 180. You're "overweight".

The fact is more that people are getting bigger, not so much that seats are getting smaller (although the combination makes it worse).

Americans Getting Taller, Bigger, Fatter, Says CDC

While the airlines aren't making planes more comfortable for anyone, that's not an excuse for people not to accept personal responsibility for carrying additional weight and "jutting into their neighbor's space" anymore than someone with long legs (which are entirely outside their control) should be able to slide their legs in front of me.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:31 PM

4,728 posts, read 4,478,465 times
I don't know why it would be called fat bashing to say that an overweight person should pay for two seats. It is not fair to just give them two seats, and it is not fair for them to take up part of someone else's space. These is an easy problem to solve. Buy two seats if you are too large to fit in one.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:34 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,842,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I don't know why it would be called fat bashing to say that an overweight person should pay for two seats.
It's not. Re-read the thread. That's not all that's going on here.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:01 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,840,652 times
If you physically occupy the space of two seats, you should have to pay for them, fair and simple. It's not a political issue. It's a space issue. If you're shipping a package and it doesn't fit in a box, you get a bigger box. 2 seats is a bigger box for a person.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:21 PM

9,766 posts, read 7,052,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
This will never happen because it would affect the airline's bottom line, but, I think as a courtesy to extremely obese people, there should be an option to allow them to self identify as overweight so that they can have the seat next to them empty - at not cost to them - for them to sit comfortably.

Yes, this won't happen because it's loss revenue for the airline. Another regular sized human being could be in that seat. But since this is becoming more common, it's something that the airlines should consider.

If they ask you for your meal preference or if you have kids or need a wheel chair, why can't they ask you if you are a large person and need an extra seat?

I'm petite and I have sat next to large people. One person so huge, thankfully I requested to be moved and was accommodated. Size was like three of me: height and weight. She needed a second seat. Why should I be made uncomfortable?

Accommodate obese people on flights by not charging them extra for the seats (that's the key to self-identifying and being accommodated), they are customers too and need to fly.
Thing is, the airlines' main concern is their bottom line, and to this end, they have crammed more and more seats (and passengers) into a given area. It is obvious that the comfort of their passengers is a distant blip on their radar, if indeed they consider it at all. It is not just the obese passengers, it is also the very tall passengers who really don't fit into the space allotted to them by virtue of their having purchased a plane ticket.

So, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the airlines to do anything to make passengers more comfortable on their flights. One of the myriad reasons I will not fly anymore.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:30 PM

3,853 posts, read 1,990,370 times
If you take up two seats, you should pay for two seats. It isn't up to the airline to take the loss. It isn't up to a passenger to render half of his seat to an obese flyer. If you can't fit in one seat, drive or take the train.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:12 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,278,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Thing is, the airlines' main concern is their bottom line, and to this end, they have crammed more and more seats (and passengers) into a given area. It is obvious that the comfort of their passengers is a distant blip on their radar, if indeed they consider it at all. It is not just the obese passengers, it is also the very tall passengers who really don't fit into the space allotted to them by virtue of their having purchased a plane ticket.

So, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the airlines to do anything to make passengers more comfortable on their flights. One of the myriad reasons I will not fly anymore.
I am sick of this "all airlines care about is their bottom line" accusation as if there is anything wrong with it. All private sector companies only care about their bottom, so what? That's their job. In protecting their bottom line, they also have to complete for business so that customers are willing to pay for their services. Otherwise they would put passengers in cages, wouldn't they?

If you look the "bottom line" of the airlines, do you see it increasing rapidly since they start to "Cram more and more seats"? hardly. Fuel prices are not what they were in the 1990s. Operation cost and wages are not what they used to be, and to avoid dramatically increasing prices, of course airlines have to come up with ways to reduce the cost, or increase revenue.

So stop blaming the airlines as if they are the culprits. They are in the business and they can do whatever they want as long as it doesn't violate the laws and regulations. If you don't like the crammed space, you don't have to take their flights. It is that simple. If you need more space, buy two seats, or upgrade to first class. If you say "who can afford that"? Well, too bad, air travel is not a human right, but rather a luxury products. Billions of people in the world can't afford to fly. If you can't afford it, then don't travel, problem solved! I don't see you guys complaining about Lamborghinis being too expensive, do I?

Airlines bear no responsibility of making you overweight people comfortable. if you don't like the comfort level, don't do business with them. There are still billions of people of regular size that find the seats completely fine. The problem really is some people can't afford the price of the service they require, and whine about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or