U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2015, 08:32 AM

7,682 posts, read 16,106,514 times

Advertisements

Also blame your fellow passengers who have repeatedly shown that they will gladly take a 29 inch seat pitch for a four hour flight if it will save them $5 on the ticket. Spirit is a profitable airline because so many people value lowest ticket price over absolutely everything else and the others follow them in the race to the bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 08:33 AM

4,445 posts, read 3,528,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I am sick of this "all airlines care about is their bottom line" accusation as if there is anything wrong with it. All private sector companies only care about their bottom, so what? That's their job. In protecting their bottom line, they also have to complete for business so that customers are willing to pay for their services. Otherwise they would put passengers in cages, wouldn't they?

If you look the "bottom line" of the airlines, do you see it increasing rapidly since they start to "Cram more and more seats"? hardly. Fuel prices are not what they were in the 1990s. Operation cost and wages are not what they used to be, and to avoid dramatically increasing prices, of course airlines have to come up with ways to reduce the cost, or increase revenue.

So stop blaming the airlines as if they are the culprits. They are in the business and they can do whatever they want as long as it doesn't violate the laws and regulations. If you don't like the crammed space, you don't have to take their flights. It is that simple. If you need more space, buy two seats, or upgrade to first class. If you say "who can afford that"? Well, too bad, air travel is not a human right, but rather a luxury products. Billions of people in the world can't afford to fly. If you can't afford it, then don't travel, problem solved! I don't see you guys complaining about Lamborghinis being too expensive, do I?

Airlines bear no responsibility of making you overweight people comfortable. if you don't like the comfort level, don't do business with them. There are still billions of people of regular size that find the seats completely fine. The problem really is some people can't afford the price of the service they require, and whine about it.
It's a risk vs reward calculation with all the airlines. Yes they have crammed in more seats in the same amount of space. They have figured out that the general public will still fly because it is the fastest way to get from point A to point B.

Obviously they have concerns that "outing" fat/obese passengers and "forcing" them to pay for an extra seat is not the smartest or most prudent business model. The minor inconvenience for passengers having to sit next to obese passengers is of little consequence to them and is dealt in a case by case basis quietly. Seems to work as there is no real public outcry (beyond this thread).

Those inconvenienced by the obese passenger will usually be given a small perk and that is usually the end of it. They will continue to fly and continue to spend money on the airlines. Just the way it is.

There really is no alternative to flying. Sometimes you just have to get there same day. Ground transportation just isn't going to work for all.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:30 AM

9,759 posts, read 7,035,798 times
Quote:
I am sick of this "all airlines care about is their bottom line" accusation as if there is anything wrong with it. All private sector companies only care about their bottom, so what? That's their job. In protecting their bottom line, they also have to complete for business so that customers are willing to pay for their services. Otherwise they would put passengers in cages, wouldn't they?

If you look the "bottom line" of the airlines, do you see it increasing rapidly since they start to "Cram more and more seats"? hardly. Fuel prices are not what they were in the 1990s. Operation cost and wages are not what they used to be, and to avoid dramatically increasing prices, of course airlines have to come up with ways to reduce the cost, or increase revenue.

So stop blaming the airlines as if they are the culprits. They are in the business and they can do whatever they want as long as it doesn't violate the laws and regulations. If you don't like the crammed space, you don't have to take their flights. It is that simple. If you need more space, buy two seats, or upgrade to first class. If you say "who can afford that"? Well, too bad, air travel is not a human right, but rather a luxury products. Billions of people in the world can't afford to fly. If you can't afford it, then don't travel, problem solved! I don't see you guys complaining about Lamborghinis being too expensive, do I?

Airlines bear no responsibility of making you overweight people comfortable. if you don't like the comfort level, don't do business with them. There are still billions of people of regular size that find the seats completely fine. The problem really is some people can't afford the price of the service they require, and whine about it.
I was responding to another poster who opined that the airlines ought to make provisions for those who don 't fit in one seat, at no extra charge to the customer. Because it IS all about their bottom line, my response was meant to convey the message to the poster that hell would freeze over before his suggestions were ever put in place by any airlines. Period.

If what I said pushed some of your pet peeves, get over it. You also made some pretty stupid assumptions in addressing a poster about whom you know nothing in having your say. In the first place, I have no problem, and never have had a problem fitting into one airline seat, so no need for me to buy two. There is the matter of the knee room, but that's an issue with many people unless they are very short- this as a result of airlines' business decisions to place more seats into a given space so they could pack on even more passengers, again, for the benefit of their bottom line. And while I admit the airlines' new "nickel and diming" extra fees for everything in addition to the price of a ticket is very annoying to me, if I chose to fly first class or business class or pay extra for upgrades (including a seat that won't resultninappropriate deep venous thrombosis in my legs because I have to sit immobile in the thing for a long flight since there is no room to move around), I would have no problem affording it.

There are numerous reasons both my husband and I have decided not to fly. Being miserably uncomfortable on most flights is but one reason.

Oh, and by the way, we don't own Lamborghinis and I have never been near one, so I couldn't comment on their comfort or lack of same. We are a long-time Honda family, considering reliability much more important than luxury, or even name-dropping. And valuing reliability is another reason we have decided not to fly again.

Last edited by Travelassie; 06-17-2015 at 09:40 AM..

Old 06-17-2015, 09:36 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
^ I didn't meant to be snarky at you personally. Because "bottom line" was mentioned so many times as if that was a crime, I couldn't help chiming in. It just happened to be your post at the end.

Apologize if that offended you.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:52 AM

9,759 posts, read 7,035,798 times
Quote:
^ I didn't meant to be snarky at you personally. Because "bottom line" was mentioned so many times as if that was a crime, I couldn't help chiming in. It just happened to be your post at the end.

Apologize if that offended you.
LOL, ok.:: I know it's just business on the airlines' part. But if I am unhappy with the way they do business, I know of no better way to counteract those business practices ( other than setting up a competing business that takes all their customers, and I don't think I will do that, LOL). is not to do business with them. Not that they will miss me, from the way things look, but it saves me the aggrevation and fortunately we are in a position where we don't need to fly.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:52 AM

8,043 posts, read 23,730,195 times
It is just so hard to draw the line somewhere. For example: I'm about 100 pounds overweight. But I fit decently fine into a regular airline seat (I don't even extend the existing seatbelt all the way, let alone need an extension), and I wear the smallest womens' plus size. If I was 10 pounds lighter, I could fit into non-plus size clothing. I just carry my weight differently than some others. I'm smaller around than some people who weigh 50 pounds less than me.

My husband, on the other hand, is fairly slim, so we buy 2 tickets and I just encroach a little tiny bit on his space. But he is 6'5" and a lot of that is legs, so he almost always has his knees in the back of the seat in front of him, so they cannot recline. So should he have to buy a second ticket for the seat in front of him? It is a slippery slope.

If it was a perfect world, they'd put obese people 2 for every 3 seats, and put tall people in the seat behind the middle of those, since no one would need to recline that one (they could charge all three of these people for 1/3 of the empty seat). Or better yet, make the seats further apart and wider. But it isn't a perfect world.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:41 PM

56 posts, read 50,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
It is just so hard to draw the line somewhere. For example: I'm about 100 pounds overweight. But I fit decently fine into a regular airline seat (I don't even extend the existing seatbelt all the way, let alone need an extension), and I wear the smallest womens' plus size. If I was 10 pounds lighter, I could fit into non-plus size clothing. I just carry my weight differently than some others. I'm smaller around than some people who weigh 50 pounds less than me.

My husband, on the other hand, is fairly slim, so we buy 2 tickets and I just encroach a little tiny bit on his space. But he is 6'5" and a lot of that is legs, so he almost always has his knees in the back of the seat in front of him, so they cannot recline. So should he have to buy a second ticket for the seat in front of him? It is a slippery slope.

If it was a perfect world, they'd put obese people 2 for every 3 seats, and put tall people in the seat behind the middle of those, since no one would need to recline that one (they could charge all three of these people for 1/3 of the empty seat). Or better yet, make the seats further apart and wider. But it isn't a perfect world.

Obesity is a life choice, being tall is not. There is a difference between being uncomfortable by yourself and then there is a difference of a person being overweight they spill into my area and make me uncomfortable and take up more space than is allotted to them. I'm a smaller person, only 5'6", im not exactly a spring chicken, I have some extra lbs. However, being overweight is a life choice, why should other have to suffer for your overindulgence and lack restrain.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:50 PM

5,465 posts, read 2,924,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
This is very difficult to enforce. Most people won't believe you paid for an extra seat. You may have to get the captain to resolve such a dispute, and with a high-revenue passenger waiting to get on the plane, he could conceivably resolve it by allowing the person to sit in your extra seat.
It is not. It is very simple.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:52 PM

5,465 posts, read 2,924,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbucci24 View Post
Obesity is a life choice, being tall is not. There is a difference between being uncomfortable by yourself and then there is a difference of a person being overweight they spill into my area and make me uncomfortable and take up more space than is allotted to them. I'm a smaller person, only 5'6", im not exactly a spring chicken, I have some extra lbs. However, being overweight is a life choice, why should other have to suffer for your overindulgence and lack restrain.
And there are people who have very broad shoulders...where do you draw the line?

Old 06-17-2015, 03:37 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,978,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbucci24 View Post
Exactly! It isn't my fault or the airlines fault that some people refuse to remove the feedbag. They stuff themselves silly, and then insist that everyone is rude for not accommodating their size. We're not complaining about people being a bit overweight. Most of us, regardless of our size and girth, fit into ONE airline seat. We're complaining about those who eat and expand themselves beyond reason, then insist that they are entitled to take up half of OUR airline seat. Wrong! Stop making pigs of yourselves, go on a diet and lose the extra flub. If you can't or won't, buy two airline seats and shut the hell up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or