U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 07:11 AM

4,728 posts, read 4,474,159 times

Advertisements

I know what you are saying about tall people. Recently at a movie, I had my seat jammed repeatedly by the very tall man seated behind me. He did not do it on purpose, but it was disturbing. I am small, and it was very jarring. I don't know the answer, but I do know that everyone deserves to be comfortable. If I was obese, I would pay for another airline seat just because of comfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 07:20 AM

5,672 posts, read 3,647,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Auto makers do not put enough height in the typical automobiles for a tall person (and 6'2" is not overly tall) to be able to sit up or even get into most cars. For this reason since the 1970s, I have always had to drive large expensive cars, pickups, and mid size to large SUVs. Fuel efficient cars are the worst, as they lower the roof line to decrease the wind resistance, and get better mileage.

[. . .]

You have to special order a living room chair to fit you. In my younger days I spent 10 years in the furniture business so I know and have had many men over 5'10" tall having the same problem.
I'm 6'1" and I drive a Camry. The seat adjusts upward and downward, and though I have it all the way down, I fit just fine and have at least an inch of headroom to spare, even when sitting fully upright.

I hear you about living room chairs, though. It took me forever before I found one that fit me comfortably, at the old Montgomery Wards. (Never heard of them? Well, they've been out of business for years.) It's starting to show some wear and tear, but I'm keeping it until it falls apart.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:22 AM

1,170 posts, read 794,785 times
Quote:
The only reason that a tall person like myself, may encroach on a neighbors space, is a problem caused by the airlines, when they reduced the width of seats to put more seats on the plane. And small people get angry that they cannot lean their seats back, as our knees are in the way. A result due to the airlines reducing the distance between seats.

It is not my fault the airlines did this, and I should have the same rights to fly as the short person.

The corporations only look out for medium to small people. They ignore the taller people in this country.

Airlines make too small seats to add more passengers in a plane. Auto makers do not put enough height in the typical automobiles for a tall person (and 6'2" is not overly tall) to be able to sit up or even get into most cars. For this reason since the 1970s, I have always had to drive large expensive cars, pickups, and mid size to large SUVs. Fuel efficient cars are the worst, as they lower the roof line to decrease the wind resistance, and get better mileage.

When I go car shopping I feel like they make cars for midgets. You cannot drive, with your head bent over and your head against the roof of the car. I always wanted a nice sports car like a Porch which I could afford very easily, but there was never one with head room. John Wayne the actor was known to always drive station wagons, and had the roof raised about 5" so he could sit up in one for that reason.

You have to special order a living room chair to fit you. In my younger days I spent 10 years in the furniture business so I know and have had many men over 5'10" tall having the same problem.
Again, you still haven't answered my question. You want the same rights as a short person? What a normal size person wants is their own seat and space.

Twice all you're done is talk about the industry. Should a large person be able to encroach on their neighbor's already scarce space?

Old 06-19-2015, 02:23 PM

8,976 posts, read 8,107,191 times
Quote:
If you can't fit in your space, fly an airline that will accommodate you. If you decide to fly an airline that won't, please, on behalf of other travelers, buy a seating arrangement you CAN fit in (as the poster above does).
Why is it the responsibility for a tall person to have to buy a second seat. Why should not the smaller person that feels they are being infringed on have the responsibility to only fly on airlines that have seats wide enough that they will not be crowded by bigger people, or to buy 2 seats to give them the room they desire. In other words if you are not happy with a certain plane when seated next to a larger person why should you then not be the one to make the adjustment. You are the one with the complaint, so why should you not be the one to solve the problem, and buy an extra seat to insure you have lots of room.?

Quote:
Nobody is forcing anyone to sit anywhere. It is a choice for bigger people - you don't have to fly, or you buy two seats to be more comfortable. There is no "forcing" here. There is only this reasonable requirement that you don't invade other people's space they pay for.
Again, if you want to ensure you are not crowded, you are the one who can solve the problem by buying an extra seat to ensure you have the extra room you are looking for. Just because you are a very small person, does not mean if you want to be sure of having lots of room to be comfortable, you have the right to buy an extra seat so you have plenty of room. Don't try to shift the responsibility to other people, to guarantee your comfort.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Again, you still haven't answered my question. You want the same rights as a short person? What a normal size person wants is their own seat and space.

Twice all you're done is talk about the industry. Should a large person be able to encroach on their neighbor's already scarce space?
You still do not get it. The airline industry caused a problem, when they cut the seat width and leg room to take in more passengers.

And what the large person wants is their own seat and space. It is not the tall persons problem any more than the small persons problem to give the small person more room. The short person has the same rights as a tall person to buy an extra seat, to ensure they have extra room and be comfortable.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I'm 6'1" and I drive a Camry. The seat adjusts upward and downward, and though I have it all the way down, I fit just fine and have at least an inch of headroom to spare, even when sitting fully upright.
That just means you have longer legs in proportion to your body size than average. Long legs is where many people have their greater height. Those of us that are built in the same leg to body proportions as the average person, have a problem sitting in cars with low roofs.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:49 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,935,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
i'm glad I rarely if ever fly anymore. I had enough when I worked for Delta Airlines, and had to listen to all these complaints. Though none of us really had the authority to do much about the problem. I agree it is a serious problem. The seats are getting smaller, and yes many Americans are getting bigger. It's not fair for a person that can fit comfortably in their seat, to be seated next to someone that invades into their space. The airlines should have dealth with this properly years ago, but we were always told to give the passenger the seat extension. My view is a 2nd seat should have been mandatory, for someone not capable of fitting in one seat. Which in my time flying was not nearly the problem it is now.

Actually I thought by now the Airlines would have been enforcing, 2 seats for people in that situation. After reading all these comments I guess not.

Selling seats is still a free market. Lots of competition. You can sell me a seat for more if I'm sure some smelly hippo ain't gonna gobble up half of my space. Not everybody is penniless.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:49 PM

400 posts, read 148,918 times
It IS funny reading all of the justifications why fat people deserve free, extra space. Although suggesting the normal-size passengers should buy the second seat is a new one.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:54 PM

1,170 posts, read 794,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion99 View Post
It IS funny reading all of the justifications why fat people deserve free, extra space. Although suggesting the normal-size passengers should buy the second seat is a new one.
Even after reading some of the posts here I must admit that one still surprised me. And I'm reasonably sure he's actually serious.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:11 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,487,525 times
Quote:
The only reason that a tall person like myself, may encroach on a neighbors space, is a problem caused by the airlines, when they reduced the width of seats to put more seats on the plane. And small people get angry that they cannot lean their seats back, as our knees are in the way. A result due to the airlines reducing the distance between seats.

It is not my fault the airlines did this, and I should have the same rights to fly as the short person.

This is true and there is a perfect solution; buy a first class ticket. Your height should not restrict my ability to recline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or