U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 10:02 PM

18,633 posts, read 23,219,501 times

Advertisements

They should have enough room so that they do not impinge on where others are sitting.

When in a plane, I do not want to deal with the thighs, breasts and other bodily parts of another individual. I do not want anyone to touch me.

So if the person's body is so large that contact is possible - yes - they should buy two seats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 10:35 PM

7,291 posts, read 4,145,583 times
Folks, all too many of you still DO NOT GET IT! The airlines do not care if you are comfortable in economy class; they only care about transporting you from Point A to Point B safely. They'd suspend all of us from meat hooks if they could, if it would allow them to pack a few more bodies on the plane.

And there's no point complaining that large people should buy two seats. Since when do all people always do what they should do? And since the airlines have no way of determining a person's size at the time they buy a ticket, there's simply no way for an airline to proactively enforce this rule. (And that's leaving out the fact that a person's size can change dramatically between the time a ticket is purchased and the time the flight departs, since tickets can be purchased as far as 330 days in advance.)

So, what are the options?

1. Deal with the issue at the time of departure (which keeps economy ticket prices lowest, but at the cost of upsetting the squisher and/or the squished).

2. Legislate a larger minimum economy class seat width (which will prevent the majority of squishing issues, but at the cost of a mildly increased ticket price for everyone in economy class).

3. Deal with the issue by purchasing more space for yourself to ensure you won't be squished, by buying either two economy class seats or a business class/first class seat (guarantees you won't be squished and also keeps overall economy ticket prices low, but greatly increases your personal cost to fly).

When it comes to flight, money - and ONLY money - talks. Until people are willing to pay more for an economy ticket, the problem isn't going to go away. It's as simple as that.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:02 AM

4,196 posts, read 3,079,802 times
Fly Southwest, pick your seat. Problem solved.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:22 AM

43,534 posts, read 52,616,956 times
If first class was only double the economy price, I'd always fly first class.
It's usually several times more.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:41 AM

10,234 posts, read 13,977,460 times
No, I don't think they should pay extra. Airlines keeps decreasing their seating size a little at a time, so Hell with them.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
No, I don't think they should pay extra. Airlines keeps decreasing their seating size a little at a time, so Hell with them.
To hell with them?
They're not the ones being affected by this.
It's me squinching myself in my seat bc someone's meat is spilling above and below the armrest and touching me all over.
It's me getting backaches and neck pain from awkwardly positioning my legs when the thighs spill over to my side.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:26 AM

901 posts, read 1,519,066 times
Maybe airlines need a skinny beyotch section. I can't decide if you should pay more for that, or less, since technically it's less weight to haul around and fewer people would qualify for those seats. WDYT?

Old 06-11-2015, 02:59 AM

4,196 posts, read 3,079,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They're not the ones being affected by this.
It's me squinching myself in my seat bc someone's meat is spilling above and below the armrest and touching me all over.
You think the fat woman sitting next to you didn't have to "squinch" herself into the seat?

Old 06-11-2015, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
You think the fat woman sitting next to you didn't have to "squinch" herself into the seat?
She does.
And then she proceeds (unintentionally, but her intentions don't help me) to overflow into the already small space I have.
That's not right.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:12 AM

4,338 posts, read 2,261,255 times
The untold truth is that airlines are already allocating obviously obese people to remote corners of the plane. Sometimes that is just not possible so you end up next to them. I have personally been on three flights where a person needed the seat belt extender. They were all on the Aisle and had no one next to them. Two were so big they took up 1/3 of the aisle.

You might not feel any sympathy but I am sure traveling is pure hell for an obese person so perhaps a little compassion is in order (although I still don't want to sit next to one).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or