Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 11:06 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times

Advertisements

all these tall and fat people whining make me sick... it's just a sense of entitlement that people have that is just pathetic. Here is the bottom line, you pay for a finite amount of space on an airline, that is the deal. If you think you can't fit into that space then pay extra to buy more space for yourself. The airlines create the space to sell based on averages...so that it will make the most economical sense to the majority.

Why would you think you are automatically entitled to more space for free? Airlines run a business, it isn't charity, space has a cost value. If you are a larger person and need a bigger size pant that costs more do you complain to the store that it should cost the same as the smaller size pant? Of course not, the bigger pant needs more clothing material and costs more to make, simple economics. If you can't understand it you are just not very bright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 10:02 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
Quote:
I have no reason to buy an extra seat. I have many ways to keep someone from encroaching on the space that I purchased. A flight attendant will always tell the tall person to twist sideways to allow the person in front of them to recline, and will always require the armrest to be down if someone wants it there. You won't win this one.
I can easily sit between the arm rest as obesity is not my problem, but my shoulders are going to be above the armrest on both sides and my arms will be on and over the armrests on both sides. It still makes it a tight fit for the other person to have the room they want. The flight attendants do not tell me to twist sideways to let the seat ahead of me recline. When twisted I actually take more room for my legs, than if I sit straight in the seat.

What I pay for, is a seat on an airplane. As a paying passenger, I have the right to expect to be able to sit in that seat, and the airline will get me to my destination. If I stick out on both sides, then the airline has not provided a seat that fits anyone but little shrimps and has broken the contact when they told me I would have a seat on the airplane that would get me to my destination.

Like the doctor said on this thread earlier, he has a small waist but his shoulders are wider than a small person. Meaning our shoulders are wider than a short and very slim person. I weigh 200 and he weighs 220 and as a doctor, he knows he is not fat or obese. So do I and my doctors. He lifted weights, and all I did was grow up on a cattle ranch. I rode bucking broncs and bulls. I bull dogged which is riding your horse up beside a hard running bull, jumping off, grabbing a 1,200 pound bull by the horns, planting your feet solid and throwing the bull over onto his side. Of course I built strong muscles, which weigh more than fat. I wore a suit when working all my working life. I had the same type of build as an average size men. People did not realize how big I was till they got right up to me.

Quote:
all these tall and fat people whining make me sick... it's just a sense of entitlement that people have that is just pathetic. Here is the bottom line, you pay for a finite amount of space on an airline, that is the deal. If you think you can't fit into that space then pay extra to buy more space for yourself. The airlines create the space to sell based on averages...so that it will make the most economical sense to the majority.

Why would you think you are automatically entitled to more space for free? Airlines run a business, it isn't charity, space has a cost value. If you are a larger person and need a bigger size pant that costs more do you complain to the store that it should cost the same as the smaller size pant? Of course not, the bigger pant needs more clothing material and costs more to make, simple economics. If you can't understand it you are just not very bright.
Again a short person, that resents tall people. They think they are entitled to a certain amount of space when they fly. They can only get that much space if the person sitting next to them is little like they are. I also expect enough space to be able to sit in the seat I pay for. It is not my fault t hat t he airlines started shrinking the seats in width and leg room. They created the problem when they took part of my seat space, and gave it to someone else. Due to my size, I am going to flow over the armrest on both sides of me.

Short people discriminate against tall people (I don't feel 6'2" is tall, but it is 3.7% of the male population). When we go to the theater as an example to see a musical offering or a play, people sitting behind me, complain they can't see the stage. As much as 2 to 3 rows back in fact. At a ball game, same complaint. Some complain every time they go out, that someone tall is blocking their view, etc. I just tell them if they are short, they should bring along a cushion to sit on, that raises them up with the rest of the people.

Quote:
If you are a larger person and need a bigger size pant that costs more do you complain to the store that it should cost the same as the smaller size pant? Of course not, the bigger pant needs more clothing material and costs more to make, simple economics.
Yes, small people take less fabric to make their pants, and can buy their clothes in the children's department, which sells for half or less what a full size person wears, which a good friend and his wife did.

I hit 6'2" tall entering the 6th grade at 11 turning 12 in a few days. 6'1" at 10 turning 11 in a few days. 6' even at 9 turning 10 in a few days. My best friend was always 2 inches taller then me, hitting 6'4" tall as he was turning 12. I came from an area of California with lots of Scandinavian families, and lots of the kids both boys and girls were tall.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:15 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

Well, I don't need two seats; I need a seat and a quarter. But the airlines don't have slightly bigger seats. They have two kinds of seats, very bad and very expensive. Now that the price of domestic first class has come down and my income has gone up, I fly first class but I used to just be uncomfortable and make other people uncomfortable.

Still, I hope I haven't been whining.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:14 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
How about the ones of us that had to fly as part of our employment. Employers paid for 1 seat. Do you expect us to pay for an extra seat out of our own pocket? .
That issue is entirely between you and your employer. Not between you and other passengers and not between you and the airlines.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I fit into my space, and don't allow others to help themselves to it. Their body is simply not my problem. I recline, I put down the armrest. if they don't like me using MY SPACE they can sit elsewhere.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Well, I don't need two seats; I need a seat and a quarter. But the airlines don't have slightly bigger seats. .
Yes, they do. For example, on an AA 737 coach is 17.2" wide and first is 21" wide. That's 22% wider in first, or almost exactly "a seat and a quarter"

Old 06-28-2015, 12:49 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, they do. For example, on an AA 737 coach is 17.2" wide and first is 21" wide. That's 22% wider in first, or almost exactly "a seat and a quarter"
I meant, but forgot to say, a seat and a quarter for the 1.25x the price of a seat. First class is just dandy, but most people can't afford it. Prices have recently come down, but first class has traditionally been priced at 5x advance purchase coach.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:56 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
I was on a flight Friday night with a guy who easily needed a seat and a half. He had been booked into an exit row in a seat with a fixed armrest. He couldn't fit in the seat OR assist in an emergency--why he had the nerve to say he could is beyond me.

Anyhow, the FA moved him to a seat in another row. The women in the middle and window got on and he struggled up from his aisle seat to let them in. They were not only unable to put down the armrest between the aisle and middle, but because the guy was taking so much of the middle, the woman in that seat (who was not overweight) had to sit partially in the window seat and that armrest couldn't go down either. It was a full flight. Why they didn't offload him is beyond me. I would never in a million years of Sunday's have tolerated that situation. He clearly had to know he could not fit in one seat, and it was obnoxious and selfish of him to not book a second seat.

From a pure safety perspective, It is not safe to have someone that large in an aisle seat, you would never get past him in an emergency if they were incapacitated. He was around 400 pounds at 5'8" or so and very wide with most of it in his hips and butt.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:48 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
The average male height in the US is 5'9, if you are 6'0 tall then you ARE an outlier, you are not average. The airline has made the seats for average people so that the majority of people would have no issues sitting in them. I am surprised some people don't get the simple concept. What are the airlines supposed to do... create bigger seats at their expense to accommodate a small minority of people? Sounds like an entitlement issue here.

And obviously they cannot create a seat and a quarter, just economically not feasible as that quarter space is not necessary for the majority of people.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:37 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
The average male height in the US is 5'9, if you are 6'0 tall then you ARE an outlier, you are not average. The airline has made the seats for average people so that the majority of people would have no issues sitting in them. I am surprised some people don't get the simple concept. What are the airlines supposed to do... create bigger seats at their expense to accommodate a small minority of people? Sounds like an entitlement issue here.

And obviously they cannot create a seat and a quarter, just economically not feasible as that quarter space is not necessary for the majority of people.
The increasing size of Americans is a fact, and other industries are having to adapt to it. Hospitals have bigger beds, stretchers, and wheel chairs, for example. A hospital near me has reinforced the older wall model toilets by adding supports under the bottom of the bowl. I guess that was cheaper than re-plumbing for floor mounted toilets.

There should be no reason that someone could not design seats for coach class that could accommodate larger people and be incorporated into any airline's seat configuration. They should cost more (just like exit row and other upgrades do) and they should be reserved for the people who actually need them. Such people could register with airlines ahead of time so their eligibility for those seats would be on record. People who need them would have fewer flight options and would just have to deal with that.

I flew from Atlanta to Syracuse yesterday. There was one very obese male on the flight. He sat in the last row on the side of the plane with no middle seat. His traveling companion, a small woman, sat next to the window. The two of them managed to fit in the two seats, but the man was leaning out into the aisle. It would not have been fair to expect a passenger of normal size who was not traveling with him to sit next to him.

I agree with those who say they should not be expected to cede part of the seat they paid for to a stranger who is too big for the seat he paid for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel