U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 07:26 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
One thing that Spirit Airlines does which I wish the other carriers would do is supply a few seats which are as wide as a first class seat, but don't come with any first class amenities. The Big Front Seats cost only a bit more than the standard economy seat, not 3-4x as much (the way true first class seats do).

It makes sense to me: if we can have an economy plus section with extra legroom, why not an economy wide section with extra seat width?

It won't completely solve the problem because not everyone who needs such a seat would book one, but it would definitely help.
yeah, since many planes have 3-3 or 3-3-3 arrangement, they can put 2 seats instead of 3 in a small number of the rows, for example, 3-2, or 3-2-3, but those who get the bigger seats would need to pay 50% more since they are taking 150% of regular seat space. But I am not sure those overweight passengers will be willing to pay for that.

Of course that may lead to problems for the airlines. I am sure they have done their research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 07:31 AM

733 posts, read 651,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Maybe if airlines had more properly sized and spaced seating it wouldn't be an issue!
I'm old enough to remember when it was far roomier!

Old 06-11-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
I'm old enough to remember when it was far roomier!
Maybe so, but consider it for the airlines, what was the oil price back then, and what was wage and pension cost back then?

Old 06-11-2015, 07:39 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,837,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
yeah, since many planes have 3-3 or 3-3-3 arrangement, they can put 2 seats instead of 3 in a small number of the rows, for example, 3-2, or 3-2-3, but those who get the bigger seats would need to pay 50% more since they are taking 150% of regular seat space. But I am not sure those overweight passengers will be willing to pay for that.
I would pay it, and I don't really even need 2 seats. I fit in one seat with the armrests down, it's just tight. But I would certainly pay 150% for a little more breathing room.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:14 AM

4,445 posts, read 3,531,609 times
Good luck trying to tell a pregnant woman she has to buy two seats because she is overweight due to carrying a baby inside her. Airlines don't want that publicity. Especially with cell phone video cameras everywhere now. Next viral video waiting to happen.

Just better to let sleeping dogs lie.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:24 AM

1,170 posts, read 795,154 times
Quote:

Of course that may lead to problems for the airlines. I am sure they have done their research.
I like this idea.

This also aligns the expectations we have for overweight people with those that are tall. They are expected to pay for premium seats with more leg room if they want to fit into economy comfortably.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:25 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,493,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbucci24 View Post
This may be a controversial topic, but I just wanted to get some view points as I recently was on a business trip and had a pretty large individual sit between myself and another person traveling on business. We had no connecting flight as our plane was going to the same destination and once that person got off we began to discuss. I just wanted to get some view points on this to see if we were right.
When I buy a ticket I expect to get my entire seat. If somebody cannot fit into one seat, they should have two seats. It's up to the airline to decide if they have to pay for two seats. If I were running the airline I would make them buy two seats. Airlines aren't a charity.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:27 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,493,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Good luck trying to tell a pregnant woman she has to buy two seats because she is overweight due to carrying a baby inside her. Airlines don't want that publicity. Especially with cell phone video cameras everywhere now. Next viral video waiting to happen.

Just better to let sleeping dogs lie.
Actually, "that publicity" might be good for business. Since most of us fit into one seat, we would be MORE likely to buy a ticket on an airline that required obese people to buy two seats so that we would be assured of having an entire seat to ourselves.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:35 AM

7,317 posts, read 4,164,649 times
Quote:
Certainly some wouldn't (just as some tall people won't pay extra for extra legroom, and then whine about their knees being bruised). The more sensible, though, would notice that paying 50% more sure beats paying 100% more (two economy seats) or 300%+ more (first class).

I suspect some people who DO fit in s standard economy seat would also pay for a wide one, just to be a bit more comfortable. At 5'2" I don't need more legroom, but I certainly feel better in economy plus; if someone reclines, I don't feel like their head is in my lap. More space is always good!

Old 06-11-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
When I buy a ticket I expect to get my entire seat. If somebody cannot fit into one seat, they should have two seats. It's up to the airline to decide if they have to pay for two seats. If I were running the airline I would make them buy two seats. Airlines aren't a charity.
that's why I always think there should be a hard but retractable divider between seats, so that if I don't want to be touched by my fat neighbour who constantly moves, I could just roll it up and not be bothered and he will only have the space he paid for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or