U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 10:01 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,265,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
That's the problem in a nutshell. People on average have grown larger, but the seats have not.
Maybe the problem is the people, not the plane.

Just so you know, people elsewhere outside America didn't necessarily got that much fatter and can still fit in today's seats. More importantly the healthy BMI for a human being remains the same. It doesn't go up as time goes by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 10:02 AM

7,316 posts, read 4,162,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Have things gone so far in the US that morbid obesity is the norm, and being at your right weight makes you an annoying freak?
70% of the US population is overweight or obese. So yes, you are in the minority.

Quote:
Why should I pay for business class or for two seats when I need one?
Because you want to guarantee you'll be comfortable? Seems a good reason to me.

Quote:
If you are significantly overweight and there will be spillage, for lack of a better word, the onus is on you - not the rest of us.
Nope, the onus will be on YOU to keep yourself from being squished. The airline DOES NOT CARE! So prepare to either speak up, or to be flattened, or to spend more for a better seat. Them's the breaks.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:05 AM

7,316 posts, read 4,162,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Those who can't fit in today's seats are few...
If that was true, you wouldn't see these thereads constantly popping up. This isn't a rare problem.

Quote:
...and not everyone on Boeing's planes are Americans, who just happen to be much fatter than pretty much all other countries.
Oh, the rest of the world is rapidly catching up, never fear. And some ethnicities are much more prone to overweight than others. (Ever seen Polynesians?)

Old 06-11-2015, 10:11 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,110,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
My preference would be to charge passengers by the pound: that includes their persons and their luggage.
So the person who is taller or larger boned who DOESN'T spill into another seat at 200lbs should pay more than the short, overweight person who encroaches into my space at 170lbs? Bad idea all around.

I think that people who are hugely overweight should have to pay for another seat. If your arms and stomach are all in my seat, there's a problem. HOWEVER, I've been seated by normal size/slim people who can't seem to keep their darn elbows and arms in their own seat. I think maybe a-holes like that should have to buy two seats as well.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:12 AM

5,672 posts, read 3,649,479 times
Quote:
And those who don't need the extra space should also pay for the additional cost just because the fat ones need it? Makes no sense to me.

Regarding 797, why does Boeing "need" to have wider seats? Those who can't fit in today's seats are few, and not everyone on Boeing's planes are Americans, who just happen to be much fatter than pretty much all other countries.
Did you not see the top of the post that you were responding to? The weight of the average American male has increased by 25 pounds since the time that the 737 was designed. That's not the outliers; that's the average. That means, if weight were evenly distributed across all people, every single person sitting in a 737 is packing 25 more pounds than the seat-width was designed for. Sure, they can still fit; but they're nowhere near as comfortable as they would have been back when the plane first entered service.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:21 AM

15,735 posts, read 26,776,109 times
Personal responsibility. I did not make anyone fat. I have been up to 70lbs overweight and I can not blame that on anyone other than myself. I am maybe 20lbs overweight right now and I am working on that as well.

Realize that plate size and how much we eat is a big factor. A woman I work with inherited her grandmothers china set. She has plates and bowls from the early 1900's. Guess what? The plates she brought in to show us were smaller than our current sized dinner plates. Imagine that. People used to eat less.

I also remember when you had three drink sizes at the 7 11 and gallon size did not exist. Who needs to drink 64 ounces of Pepsi? A 12 ounce can of Pepsi has 150 calories. That 64 ounce has about 750 calories in it. We only need 2,000 or so calories for a man to live. Many guys could get by on less.

They eat they can pay for another seat.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:24 AM

15,735 posts, read 26,776,109 times
I am 5' 6" and I am working on getting down to 135lbs. Realize that a year or so ago I was 226lbs. Their is no magic to getting slim. You eat less than you need to move. You burn more calories than you use.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:27 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Quote:
And those who don't need the extra space should also pay for the additional cost just because the fat ones need it? Makes no sense to me.

Regarding 797, why does Boeing "need" to have wider seats? Those who can't fit in today's seats are few, and not everyone on Boeing's planes are Americans, who just happen to be much fatter than pretty much all other countries.
Agree. We need to stop giving people who can't be bothered to take care of themselves rewards for poor behavior.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:29 AM

5,672 posts, read 3,649,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
HOWEVER, I've been seated by normal size/slim people who can't seem to keep their darn elbows and arms in their own seat.
I was on a six-hour cross-country flight, and right after take off, the young lady sitting next to me fell asleep and slumped over onto my shoulder. My first thought was to push her off. But I was in a devil-may-care mood, so I decided to let her be, and see just how long it would take before she noticed that she was using the shoulder of a stranger as a pillow. I didn't think it would be too long, as this was a morning westbound flight, and I would have assumed that she would have just come off of a night's sleep beforehand. But it turned out, I was her pillow for almost the entire flight! When she did finally wake up, she sat up and looked at me with this odd expression, as if to say "Where did YOU come from?" She didn't say a single word; I think she was too embarrassed.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:43 AM

7,925 posts, read 5,042,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
2. Legislate a larger minimum economy class seat width (which will prevent the majority of squishing issues, but at the cost of a mildly increased ticket price for everyone in economy class).
This is probably the most viable solution. There are all sorts of circumstances where legislation interferes with "free market" business practices, raising prices and intruding into economic activity, and yet somehow life goes one - and profits go on - assuming of course that the regulations aren't rapacious, corrupt or entirely stupid. We legislate automotive safety-standards that increase vehicle weight and consequently fuel consumption - and then we legislate mandatory average fuel efficiency standards. Yet somehow today cars are both faster and more fuel-efficient than ever before.

Yes, airline ticket prices will rise incrementally. So what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
The untold truth is that airlines are already allocating obviously obese people to remote corners of the plane.
That has not been my experience. The most obese fliers tend to neither be affluent jet-setters nor business-travelers. They're occasional leisure-travelers, perhaps making one annual trip to visit the grandkids. Consequently they have the lowest frequent-flier status, and are relegated to the middle seat. For the same reason they tend to board last, causing the most inconvenience to other passengers (and to themselves) as they attempt to navigate down the aisle towards their seats, to stow their baggage and finally to insert themselves into their seats.

Quote:
really? But I thought normal people should have a BMI under 25. You can't demand airliners to satisfy the 2% outliners.
2% outliers? And come to think of it, why is the emphasis in this thread necessarily on the obese? I'm a 185-pound male, of about average height. My midsection has substantial spare room even in a 17" seat, but my shoulders spill out, even from a 20" seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or