Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 03:44 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,689,263 times

Advertisements

Ultimately I am planning on going to Vietnam and possibly Thailand but I don't know exactly when I will be able to. I am going to Mexico first though, hopefully in the not to distant future. I just plan on walking across the border somewhere in Texas, haven't decided exactly where yet, El Paso maybe. It will be my first time outside the US.

Anyways I don't really want to pay the extra 30-40 bucks (I don't remember exactly). Is there a good reason why I should have the card to go along with the book?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 04:13 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
There is no reason to ever get a passport card, unless you only travel to Canada, Mexico or Caribbean. The book has no restrictions.

The passport card is a wallet side document that will be used to expedite document processing from the U.S. borders between Canada and Mexico, and for the Carribean and Bermuda.
This card will have a RFID chip in it. It will link the card to a stored record in secure government databases. There will be no personal information on the card itself.

Pros and Cons of using the passport card.

Pros: Cheaper in cost, It’s a wallet sized card, thus convenient to store in a wallet or purse
Very convenient for those frequent travelers who live in communities on the boarder of Mexico and Canada.
Cons: Cannot be used for air travel. Use is restricted for land and sea travel between the U.S. and Mexico, Canada, Carribean and Bermuda.

My opinion- If you are a frequent traveler or vacationer I believe the old fashioned Passport Book is best. There are no restrictions. If you seldom travel and that travel is limited to land or sea to Canada, Mexico, the Carribean and Bermuda, then the less expensive passport card may be the way to go.

Passport Book vs. Passport Card, Which One should you Choose - Blogs - Articles - News (http://www.whatbusinesstodo.com/blogs/passportbookvspassportcard - broken link)

Old 09-02-2010, 05:06 PM

I'm going with just the book then I guess, I'm really getting it so I can go to Asia (eventually). I only plan on going to Mexico once in the foreseeable future.
Thanks MAK802

Old 09-02-2010, 08:21 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
If you loose your passport (heaven help you it will NOT happen),
a passport card will expedite getting a replacement.
But only if you have it with you ...

Think of what you had to show to get your passport book.

LBNL, If you plan to travel a lot, and I mean a helluva LOT ...
and you need work visas for instance ,
get the thicker book ...

I had a thick one and it was almost full after five years ...

Old 09-02-2010, 08:55 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
If you plan to go to mexico/canada/carb alot, or fly with in the US alot its handy to have. But I use my regular blue passport, when i fly, its easyer to keep track of then handing over my drivers licence a bunch of times. and I have to keep remember to put it back in my wallet. My passport I slide into its own pocket in my briefcase.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
If you loose your passport (heaven help you it will NOT happen),
a passport card will expedite getting a replacement.
But only if you have it with you ...

Think of what you had to show to get your passport book.

LBNL, If you plan to travel a lot, and I mean a helluva LOT ...
and you need work visas for instance ,
get the thicker book ...

I had a thick one and it was almost full after five years ...
I don't have a passport book yet, on the application you have the option of applying for a book and a card at the same time which is why I was asking.
Looking at my original post I can see how someone could think I already had a passport book.
Having a backup would be a good reason to get both, thanks for that.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:41 AM

211 posts, read 816,556 times
The US passport CARD is quite useless in form and substance. Try using it for ID at the airport when going thru the TSA checkpoints, and you'll soon find out. As the others have said, it's really only good as a backup in case you lose the real US passport (BOOK). If $$$ is tight for you, then you probably can do without the CARD altogether.

One thing: If you are planning on getting them both when renewing, you can use the short-form DS-82 - don't believe folks who tell you that you have to use the long DS-11 form for this. This is a major time-saver, as some Passport Acceptance offices (meaning: US Post Office employees) will try to convince you otherwise.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:25 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Pros and Cons of using the passport card.
One more *pro*:

In case of loss of the *book*, the *card* expedites, replacement.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:28 AM

74 posts, read 295,161 times
NO!

What a waste of money.

Its something the government just came up with for people only going down to Mexico.

Just get a US passport.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:57 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Should I get a passport card to go along with my passport book?
Yes. Even though its not accepted for entering other countries than those bordered to the US, its perfect for use in numerous countries as ID. This way the book passport can be left in the safe at the hotel. I've used it for three years as identification without any issues around the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel